Request for CJ Wiley

Gilbertfan81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ first off I want to thank you for adding so much useful content to this site. I wish more pro players took an interest in growing the sport and helping others improve as you have. Now for my request. I know you we're one of the top players for years, but more importantly you always seemed to be in action. You went after all the top players. Would you please relay some of your top gambling stories. I as well as the whole forum would love to hear how you played these guys and some of your big scores. I believe I also heard you say that there were only four players that you would not play, who were they.
Please share the wealth with us action junkies!
Thanks

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll Play if you use "The Stick"....no one can beat me with "The Stick"

CJ first off I want to thank you for adding so much useful content to this site. I wish more pro players took an interest in growing the sport and helping others improve as you have. Now for my request. I know you we're one of the top players for years, but more importantly you always seemed to be in action. You went after all the top players. Would you please relay some of your top gambling stories. I as well as the whole forum would love to hear how you played these guys and some of your big scores. I believe I also heard you say that there were only four players that you would not play, who were they.
Please share the wealth with us action junkies!
Thanks

Sure, I was on the road for 7 straight years so I have quite a few stories from playing several hundred gambling games with various players. I'll start out with one that involves a peculiar Pool Stick....one like few have ever played with, especially for $50. a game.

I was in Detroit and was struggling, I only had $500. so it was important to get "pumped up" as quick as possible. I was steered to a small bar that the owner played at and was also told he would lose a lot if someone would play with "The Stick".

I walked into the dimly lit bar, taking in the smell of cigarettes, and stale beer as I quickly cased the joint. The bar was on the left side, just past the one bar table, the bar was small with four men sitting around it drinking their favorite "poison". I was dressed to fit in with a camouflage vest, Wolverine boots, a Skoal can visible in my back pocket and a hat that had two pigs "gettin it on" labelled "Makin Bacon".

I went up to that bar and ordered a Bud and made some small talk with one of the regulars. He was dressed much like I was, and after they heard me talk they relaxed knowing I was nothin but a country bumkin kid.

Looking at the pool table I said "I'm a really good pool shot," partly to myself, but loud enough that the four barflies could hear me.

"How good do you shoot, boy, good enough to shoot for a beer?"

I responded "a beer....sh*t I play a whole lot better than that, there's nobody around here that can beat me". This got there attention and they all looked at me closer, a little bit more intently, trying to figure me out.

"The owner'll play ya if ya use "The Stick", ain't nobody ever beat him with 'The Stick".......the other four men laughed an eerie laugh at the same time...."yeah, get the Stick, get the Stick" they all chimed in together.

The Bartender reached up above the bar and pulled down a one piece house cue, only this cue didn't have a tip OR a ferrule, just jagged wood where the tip would normally be. The bartender handed it to me and I pretended to study it intently.

Just then the owner walked in the bar and walked toward us. "this boy wants to play ya with "The Stick"....he thinks he's a pool shooter."

"Wait a minute, I didn't say anything about using this thing, it doesn't even have a tip, how can I even hit the dang cue ball right, hell there's no way to play pool with this piece of crap?"

The owner looked at me, sized me up from head to tow, pausing to chuckle to himself at my two pigs "makin love" on my hat, then said, "I'll spot ya the 6 ball if you use that thing and play ya for $50. a game if you wanna gamble."

I said slowly and thoughtfully "you mean if I make the 6 or the 9 I win and you only win if you make the 9 ball....but I gotta use this crazy stick?"

Yep.....and we can play all night long. I nodded my head "you gotta game, I gotta try just to see what happens."

We started playing and each time I broke the balls pieces of "The Stick" flew on the table and sometimes across the room. I knew I could win at this game, but it suddenly dawned on my I might "run out of stick" before I could "bust" the guy. I must have taken 3 inches off the stick in the next 4 hours, but I played really good with that primitive "stick" and beat the owner 20 games ahead, by grinding the "stick" on the floor between shots and chalking it like a regular cue, before long it was fairly smooth and besides whittling it down it actually played ok......considering. ;)

The owner paid me off with 20 brand new fifty dollar bills and I was on my way, now I had $1500. and I was heading to THE RACK....the big action pool room in Detroit. There a guy could get rich playing pool, there were guys winning and losing millions. I was ready to fire my "match" at their wood pile. I had already overcome "The Stick," what could they have in store for me at THE RACK? Surely nothing a country boy with a "Makin Bacon" hat couldn't deal with. :)

thegameistheteacher@gmail.com
th

Last edited:

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Ask and you shall receive!

CJ, my hat's off to you. Great story from a great guy. I look forward to the next installment.

Thanks for all that you do.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
After I beat the guy with "The Stick" I went to THE RACK and this is what happened

Thanks CJ, I could picture the whole thing in my head, like I was there.

After I beat the guy with "The Stick" I went to THE RACK (the hottest gambling pool room in the country) and this is what happened later that night, which make it a very eventful day (to say the least)......I posted this (in the Rack thread) a couple of days ago, but it is chronological and happened later that night.

That same night I did go straight to THE RACK. I was on a table practicing and Johnny Ross (a notorious pool hustler) came up to me and motioned me over to the side. He leaned over with his hand over his mouth like a used car salesman getting ready to offer me "the deal of the century."

"We got a game for you tonight!" Johnny whispered, "with a guy named Cletus....it's playing one pocket, but the guy plays like old people f*%#...we'll (the local corporation) stake you and give you 30%, but he'll bet really high, we may win 30 to 40k!"

"30%, wtf, you got to be kidding, I won't play for less than 40%"

"That's the deal, sh*t the fu*%in house takes 10% - take it or leave it, it's sure action though, but there's one "catch".....you gotta talk really nasty to this sick freak or he won't want to gamble with you."

"So let me get this straight, I gotta play for 30% AND talk nasty to this guy, what kind of sick f*c%in joke is this, Johnny?"

Just then the front door was opened (you had to get "buzzed" in) and in walks this huge unshaven man that looked just like Brutus in the Popeye comics. He looked around glaring at the room, with a twisted smile trying to form under his three day stubbly beard. This guy looked like the poster guy for a prison movie.... Shaw-shank Perversion' or something like that.

"That's him, do you want to play or not?" Johnny's raspy voice sent shivers down my spine, or maybe it was the thought of talking dirty to Brutus...I mean Cletus.

"Ok, but what the heck do I say to this sicko?" the was the most awkward I'd felt before matching up with anyone in my life.

"Come on, just follow my lead"....I followed Johnny Ross over to where Brutus....I mean Cletus was standing. Johnny marched right up to him and said "what are you doing in here you sleezy piece of sh%* I thought the trash came in and out of the back door".....Cletus looked at Johnny menacingly, then broke into a big grin. "Johnny Ross, my dream cell mate, hope you brought plenty of lube if we're going to gamble tonight".

Johnny said "I got a little kid that'll play your sorry ass some one hole"....nodding at me....I took my cue and said "yeah, you dirty motha fu%$a I got something for you that Ajax won't take off"......I pulled it off, but my heart was pounding under my leather jacket. I"m not sure what else I said, and I'm glad, sometimes in my line of "work" you had to act....and this part was certainly just an act....and fortunately I'd never be in this situation again.

Cletus looked at me and growled "you look just like the brother of a 16 year old girl I used to date....had to date her for 3 years just to f#*% her little brother.....and he looked just like you"......I tried not to put any images to his words, but the important thing was I KNEW he would play me now. Johnny gave me the "it's george" sign and the game was on.

And play me he did, I gave him 9/4 and his scratches don't count for $900 a game starting out and $18,000 later he looked like the blood had been drained out of him. They gave me my $5000 ( the time was $1800, they didn't charge by the hour, with guys like Cletus they took 10% for the "house") Brutal - to this day that's the most I've ever been charged for pool time. But when you're betting thousands against a guy like Cletus it really didn't matter, it was just a "cost of doing business".

They walked Cletus out the door and safely to his car (he still had 20k).

I ask Johnny "I wonder where he's going now?"

Johnny, without hesitation barked "he'll go hire a LIMO and three hookers and they'll drive him around Detroit, handcuffed, like he's been kidnapped, one will have a gun to his head and other two will be whipping him and calling him every filthy name they can think of"......"and I imagine Cletus will be like a kid taking a tour of a candy store," I whispered under my breath.

.....just another day at the office for Brutus - I mean Cletus - the dirtiest, stinkiest, sleaziest pool sucker on earth, that also played for tens of thousands of dollars at a Game called pool. I never would have believed it if I hadn't been there and seen it with my own eyes....what a world.

I felt a little bit guilty at the end of that long day beating sick ole Cletus out of that 18k.... NOT, ----I was Pumped up with $6400 and ready to "play anyone at the Rack for all they could Stack"...well, within reason. ;) 'The Rack was the Teacher'
adgr815.gif

Last edited:

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Awesome. What a night. Strange people out there, for sure.

Boys and girls, it's story time! Everybody gather 'round...

This thread is going to be a keeper.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
CJ, I'll say one thing. You write and express yourself very descriptively.

Thanks for the stories.;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great read, C.J. Thanks for a delightful pool story! Keep 'em coming! :smile:

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
After I beat the guy with "The Stick" I went to THE RACK (the hottest gambling pool room in the country) and this is what happened later that night, which make it a very eventful day (to say the least)......I posted this (in the Rack thread) a couple of days ago, but it is chronological and happened later that night.

That same night I did go straight to THE RACK. I was on a table practicing and Johnny Ross (a notorious pool hustler) came up to me and motioned me over to the side. He leaned over with his hand over his mouth like a used car salesman getting ready to offer me "the deal of the century."

"We got a game for you tonight!" Johnny whispered, "with a guy named Cletus....it's playing one pocket, but the guy plays like old people f*%#...we'll (the local corporation) stake you and give you 30%, but he'll bet really high, we may win 30 to 40k!"

"30%, wtf, you got to be kidding, I won't play for less than 40%"

"That's the deal, sh*t the fu*%in house takes 10% - take it or leave it, it's sure action though, but there's one "catch".....you gotta talk really nasty to this sick freak or he won't want to gamble with you."

"So let me get this straight, I gotta play for 30% AND talk nasty to this guy, what kind of sick f*c%in joke is this, Johnny?"

Just then the front door was opened (you had to get "buzzed" in) and in walks this huge unshaven man that looked just like Brutus in the Popeye comics. He looked around glaring at the room, with a twisted smile trying to form under his three day stubbly beard. This guy looked like the poster guy for a prison movie.... Shaw-shank Perversion' or something like that.

"That's him, do you want to play or not?" Johnny's raspy voice sent shivers down my spine, or maybe it was the thought of talking dirty to Brutus...I mean Cletus.

"Ok, but what the heck do I say to this sicko?" the was the most awkward I'd felt before matching up with anyone in my life.

"Come on, just follow my lead"....I followed Johnny Ross over to where Brutus....I mean Cletus was standing. Johnny marched right up to him and said "what are you doing in here you sleezy piece of sh%* I thought the trash came in and out of the back door".....Cletus looked at Johnny menacingly, then broke into a big grin. "Johnny Ross, my dream cell mate, hope you brought plenty of lube if we're going to gamble tonight".

Johnny said "I got a little kid that'll play your sorry ass some one hole"....nodding at me....I took my cue and said "yeah, you dirty motha fu%$a I got something for you that Ajax won't take off"......I pulled it off, but my heart was pounding under my leather jacket. I"m not sure what else I said, and I'm glad, sometimes in my line of "work" you had to act....and this part was certainly just an act....and fortunately I'd never be in this situation again.

Cletus looked at me and growled "you look just like the brother of a 16 year old girl I used to date....had to date her for 3 years just to f#*% her little brother.....and he looked just like you"......I tried not to put any images to his words, but the important thing was I KNEW he would play me now. Johnny gave me the "it's george" sign and the game was on.

And play me he did, I gave him 9/4 and his scratches don't count for $900 a game starting out and $18,000 later he looked like the blood had been drained out of him. They gave me my $5000 ( the time was $1800, they didn't charge by the hour, with guys like Cletus they took 10% for the "house") Brutal - to this day that's the most I've ever been charged for pool time. But when you're betting thousands against a guy like Cletus it really didn't matter, it was just a "cost of doing business".

They walked Cletus out the door and safely to his car (he still had 20k).

I ask Johnny "I wonder where he's going now?"

Johnny, without hesitation barked "he'll go hire a LIMO and three hookers and they'll drive him around Detroit, handcuffed, like he's been kidnapped, one will have a gun to his head and other two will be whipping him and calling him every filthy name they can think of"......"and I imagine Cletus will be like a kid taking a tour of a candy store," I whispered under my breath.

.....just another day at the office for Brutus - I mean Cletus - the dirtiest, stinkiest, sleaziest pool sucker on earth, that also played for tens of thousands of dollars at a Game called pool. I never would have believed it if I hadn't been there and seen it with my own eyes....what a world.

I felt a little bit guilty at the end of that long day beating sick ole Cletus out of that 18k.... NOT, ----I was Pumped up with $6400 and ready to "play anyone at the Rack for all they could Stack"...well, within reason. ;) 'The Rack was the Teacher'
adgr815.gif

One of the best pool action stories i've heard in years!!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another story I liked [B]written by the New York Sportswriter, Michael Geffner

CJ keep em coming. This is great stuff.

I'll get to the "Top Pros" you referred to very soon, these are just some of my favorites when I was a teenager. They actually get better and more intense as I got older, certainly more action and drama. Here's another story I liked written by the New York Sportswriter, Michael Geffner, he can give me the "6 Ball" in writing, so I'll just copy and paste his article out of 'Dallas Life'.

IT HAPPENED IN PITTSBURGH in 1986, back when The Color of Money, a movie about a young pool shark, had hit theaters and Carson “CJ” Wiley was himself hustling pool on the road—back when, on a moment’s notice, he would drive hundreds of miles to some backwoods dive on a trip that someone with wads of cash gambled big-time there. On that particular night, Wiley wore fake glasses and assumed one of three aliases, Mike from Indiana. His mark was the owner of a restaurant, a bearded man with receding jet-black hair who led him up a dark staircase to a private pool table on the second floor.

“And the guy is smiling this real goofy smile,” Wiley recalls today, chuckling hard before dragging deeply on a Marlboro Light. “’It’s just like in the movie,’ he says. ‘You saw the movie right?’ And I nod my head but don’t really say anything. Then he says, ‘Oh, boy, I love action. I love playing pool for money. I even love betting on other players. You saw the movie right?’ And I nod again. And we begin playing some nine ball, and I find out right away that this guy can’t play at all. I mean, not a lick. So after I’m done beating him for a few hundred, he has me play nearly everybody in the building. I end up beating his bartender, his cook, his dishwasher, five locals, and finally, the best player in town—and he staked every one of them. By the time he quit, I had him stuck for about seven thousand dollars. And he says to me, not smiling anymore, ‘You know kid, you played a lot better at the end than you did at the beginning.’ And I look him square in the eyes and say, ‘Well, you saw the movie, right?’”

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that stories. And want more :)

Thank you CJ for sharing them.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad you liked it, here's some more from that same article by Michael Geffner.

I like that stories. And want more :)

Thank you CJ for sharing them.

Glad you liked it, here's some more from that same article by Michael Geffner.

Now semi retired and detached from his hustling days, Wiley lives in the Lake Highlands neighborhood of Dallas. Almost from the moment he turned pro, he has been the highest-ranked pool player in Texas as well as one of the ten best players in the world. He’ll demonstrate that on January 31, when—in an extremely rare live telecast of pool—ESPN will air the finals of its Ultimate 9-Ball challenge, the sport’s biggest annual nine ball event; he hopes to win the three-way competition for the second straight year, outgunning fellow hotshots Roger Griffis and Johnny Archer. “The funny thing is, I've never really considered myself a pool player,” he quietly confides to me as he sits in a hotel lounge during a weekend trip to New York. “It has always been just a game I played. I played it mostly as a way to make money and to express myself. But lately I've come to the conclusion that I don’t exactly know yet, but I definitely feel like I’m being driven by a higher power.”

It is a Saturday afternoon, and Wiley, who usually dresses in Italian designer suits and custom-made shirts initialed at the cuffs, is wearing faded jeans, a pale green polo shirt, a gold chain, and a gold diamond studded watch with a luminous turquoise face. A lean six-footer, he has dirty-blond hair and pale blue-green eyes that, without warning, can suddenly go cold and stare right through you.”I eventually want to be considered the best player in my era,” he says, speaking in a low, sharp voice with a trace of a Texas twang. “Because if I’m the best player in my era, then I’m the best player ever. The players are just better now.”

Wiley has what other pool players refer to as in the Big Games. He has an opening break in nine ball powerful enough to sink six balls and a shot making ability{using TOI} so stunning that even the longest shots seem like tap-ins. He’s also part of an elite few who can string together bunches of racks without missing (in nine ball, where the lowest-numbered ball on the table must be struck first before pocketing a ball, he has put together nine racks in a row on a regulation table and a staggering twelve on a bar table). But if Willie Mosconi was the Fred Astaire of pocket billiards, then Wiley is the Gene Kelly—not so much about finesse and seamless grace as muscle and macho fearlessness. Holding his stick more firmly than the rest, making his veiny forearms bulge, he simply rams balls into pockets. “CJ rarely thinks about playing it safe or carefully maneuvering his way around the table,” observes Allen Hopkins, a 46-year-old New Jersey pro who has been one of the best all-around players of the past quarter century. “He just attacks the rack.”

ESPN’s corny sportscasters have tagged Wiley “the fast gun of Texas,” but not without reason. In the time it takes others to run a rack, he can run three. A nine ball rack, for instance, often takes him less than a minute. “Think long, think wrong” is his motto. “The conscious mind can really be destructive when you’re playing,” he says. “If I slow down, I tend to start double-thinking and make bad decisions.” He moves around the table so quickly it seems like he’s not thinking at all. For each shot he uses a Touch of Inside, and takes no more than three practice strokes. “It can be demoralizing to a weaker player,” says California pro George “the Flamethrower” Breedlove. “He starts running out from everywhere and nowhere, one tough shot after the other and before you ever get to blink, he’s already up five games on you.”

Certainly Wiley doesn't fit any of the standard pool stereotypes. He has a practitioner’s degree in the self-help technique of neuro-linguistic programming; is a second-degree black belt instructor in Ji Mu Do, a combination of eight martial arts; swallows a daily cocktail of herbs, such as Saint-John’s-wort and ginseng, and a special “cleansing “oolong tea that he buys from a Korean herbalist in Dallas; under-goes sessions of acupuncture; and studies Zen. He often talks of “becoming the game” and breathing deeply to “lower my brain waves” and letting my unconscious mind take over.” He says he has reached the point where he can put himself into a heightened trance like state almost at will, that he all but blacks out and is able to play for hours yet not remember a single shot afterwards—as in 1997’s Texas State Championship in Austin, where he began by winning 24 consecutive games on the way to defending his title.

Named after Kit Carson, Wiley was born October 18, 1964, in Green City, Missouri, a poor cattle town 125 miles from Kansas City with five churches, no stop-lights, and a population of about 650. The youngest of three children born to Jim and June Wiley, a lumberyard owner and a city clerk, respectively, CJ started playing pool at age seven—first on a miniature table, then a small, smoky pool room owned by a close family friend. Before long, he played every day after school and all day on Saturdays, and by the time he was eleven he was already the best in the area. “There were days when I didn't lose a single game,” he says. At thirteen he could run all fifteen balls in numerical order and, as a challenge, began playing for small amounts of money, anywhere from a dime to $5 a game. Soon after, unable to find a willing opponent in Green City, he ventured out to nearby Kirksville and then to Columbia, where he’d play for $20 to $50 a game. “I especially enjoyed beating people much older than me,” remembers Wiley. “I think it had something to do with getting respect from them. Maybe because my father, who was an alcoholic, was never really around for me.”

In 1982 Wiley placed second in the Missouri state Championship and won the National High School Championship in Chicago. But it was a year later, during Christmas break in his senior year of high school, that he embarked on a three-week adventure that would change his life: his first road trip to hustle pool. Traveling with a pair of seasoned road players who he says “could sell anybody anything,” he hit Kansas City, Topeka and Wichita, Kansas, and Ponca City, Oklahoma; the trip was such a rip-roaring success that there was no turning back for him. “I learned that there was a life in this,” he says. From age 18 to 25 he worked the road full-time, living out of a motel, a hotel, or a motor home. (In 1987, so he would have a base, he rented an apartment in the Dallas suburb of Carrollton. Why Dallas? It was pretty, equidistant from the coats, bubbled with high-stakes pool, and has “the most gorgeous women I’d ever seen.”)

Like all roads players, Wiley planned his days as if he were on a cross-country vacation—only instead of selling his sights on, say, the Grand Canyon, he sought hotbeds of pool activity, or spots. In fact, he always carried a little black spot book, in which he had scribbled information extracted from an underground network of other hustlers: It had the names of players he should play, where they played, how well they played (their “speed”), and their betting patterns. “I really enjoyed the freedom of it all, of waking up whenever I wanted, of going wherever I wanted, and controlling my own destiny,” he says.

Which isn't to say the road wasn't difficult. Wiley says he has been robbed twice at gunpoint—once around the corner from a pool room in Minneapolis, the other at a bootleg liquor joint with a black-room pool table Albemarle, North Carolina—after he won a ton of money. He was punched in Texarkana and served drinks spiked with drugs, he believes, in Queen City and Memphis. Still, he was predatory and merciless. He says he could sense another player’s weakness without even talking to him and got his kicks by crushing opponents to the point of causing their knees to buckle. “I especially loved seeing fear in my opponent’s eyes,” he says, adding that he has not a hint of a guilty conscience about any of his hundreds of conquest: “Listen, all the guys I beat wanted my money just as badly as I wanted theirs. It’s not my fault I was the better player. And besides, a lot of the guys I beat weren’t very nice. I just carried out their karma. God works in mysterious ways.”

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
...And besides, a lot of the guys I beat weren’t very nice. I just carried out their karma. God works in mysterious ways.

Ain't that the truth. God bless, CJ, good luck to you, thanks for the stories.