Snooker ball size

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys

I’ve bought recently an Anniversary 10ft snooker table. There was an old set of yellowed numbered ball coming with the table probably as old as the table. After some research I’ve found a set of Aramtih to replace them but to my surprise they are not exactly the same size. The old ones are really close to 2-1/16 at 2.060” but the Aramith are slightly bigger at 2.100 which is kind of between 2-1/16” and 2-1/8”. The Aramith fits really thigh in the old Brunswick rack but they fits. BTW the Aramith box is identified at 2-1/16”.

I thought the balls size was standard from a brand to the other or maybe it’s something that have change over the years ?

Any thought on that guys ?

Martin

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I've heard of ball sizes for snooker being either 2 1/8 and 2 1/16. My understanding was the larger balls were for American Snooker. 2 1/16 is the standard ball size and if you play in any snooker tournaments, I would recommend getting a 2 1/16 set for the sake of consistency.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've heard of ball sizes for snooker being either 2 1/8 and 2 1/16. My understanding was the larger balls were for American Snooker. 2 1/16 is the standard ball size and if you play in any snooker tournaments, I would recommend getting a 2 1/16 set for the sake of consistency.

Also, make sure the balls are 5 ounces.
...there are lighter and cheaper balls on the market.

oilheadoug

Registered
I also have a 10 foot Brunswick Anniversary snooker table.

For 10 foot tables in the USA, 2 1/8" balls are standard. For 12 foot tables 2 1/16" is standard. In the USA it is somewhat difficult to find 2 1/16" balls, although they do come up on eBay regularly.

I would recommend Aramith balls. If you can afford to spend $366 you can get a set of premium balls
(I believe they are all within 2 grams in weight) in an aluminum case. Non-premium can be had for $100 - $125.

I had to order a measle ball from England to get one 2 1/16" at a cost of about $46 USD. I also had to order a 2 1/16 triangle from England.

In England they make snooker tables in a wide variety of sizes and they sell snooker balls as small as 1 3/4" if I'm not mistaken,

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also have 10 ft brunswick snooker

Mine was made in 1943. I just went through the " what is correct size " ball thing. I found them 1 3/4, 2, 2 1/16, 2 1/8.
I bought the arimth 2 1/16, also bought 2 inch amirith set of pool balls.
We also play payball using standard size balls on this tight pocket snooker table.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow guys I was not suspecting all those subtleties about snooker/pool balls. Thank you for these great information.

I'm still a little confused since the Aramith I've bought (used) were labeled as 2-1/16". They are not really 2-1/6 but not 2-1/8" neither.

Frankly it's more a curiosity than a real concern buts it's nice to know how things really works.

Martin

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow guys I was not suspecting all those subtleties about snooker/pool balls. Thank you for these great information.

I'm still a little confused since the Aramith I've bought (used) were labeled as 2-1/16". They are not really 2-1/6 but not 2-1/8" neither.

Frankly it's more a curiosity than a real concern buts it's nice to know how things really works.

Martin

I’m not an expert but I have done some studying on this subject because I have a 10 foot International Snooker table with the 2 1/8 balls. My pockets are nearly 1/2 inch tighter than any of the other tables that I play on, including a 12 footer. So I checked on different sized balls. In the UK, most of the snooker ball sizes are listed in metric. I think a regulation snooker ball is 52.5 mm. I’ve thought about getting a set for my table but I’m afraid it might mess me up shooting the 2 1/8 balls.