When:
01/10/2018 – 07/10/2018 all-day
Where:
Manila

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but look who the promoter is. I think he still owes out from the last tournament in Manila 10 years ago.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is pathetic it is even a mystery :shakehead:

The usual piss poor info on the WPA site.

Here was a story on the same promoter:
http://www.manilatimes.net/ph-will-host-world-pool-championship-men-women-october-2018/370261/

Maybe the guys on this board like Jerry and Mike who know who has been given the BCA invites and who turned them down can weigh in and spill it. That is if it is even a go.
Is Raya Sports still in business? Last post on their FB page was seven years ago. I'd be real surprised if this event goes off. Barry Hearn needs to buy the WPA. Problems would end over-nite. Ian Anderson is clueless. Ever watched the World 9ball? The worst promoted/run event you can imagine. Horrible pre-event promotion and a lousy stream.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that the promoter that stiffed the players 10 years ago? And efren and busty boycotted the tournament because they knew in advance he was a bum?

If it’s the same guy, how could WPA even consider using him?

<=== Scratches head....

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that the promoter that stiffed the players 10 years ago? And efren and busty boycotted the tournament because they knew in advance he was a bum?

If it’s the same guy, how could WPA even consider using him?

<=== Scratches head....
Same guy i heard.

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Anyone have any more information regarding this tournament? It seems quite close to only have a press-release for it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament is cancelled. I saw a post on FB today stating such by the BCA Congress of America. No reason was given.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the screenshot of the BCA FB post from Aug 17, 2018. No further information was given.

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 10.42.42 AM.png

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
How many world championships have been canceled over the last 10 years? Even just one last-minute cancellation should be seen as a catastrophe. I get that these things are costly to put on, but you shouldn't announce an event when the funding, venue, sponsors etc have yet to be secured and promoters should need to provide proof that they are ready to go.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many world championships have been canceled over the last 10 years? Even just one last-minute cancellation should be seen as a catastrophe. I get that these things are costly to put on, but you shouldn't announce an event when the funding, venue, sponsors etc have yet to be secured and promoters should need to provide proof that they are ready to go.
I think there is some amount of chicken-and-egg here. If a promoter does not have the sanction in hand, it will be harder for him to find sponsors. If he does not have sponsors in hand, he may have no way to be relatively sure he will have the added money. Some promoters -- Matchroom comes to mind -- have the resources to make the prize fund happen and only need the sanction if they decide they want to organize a particular event.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is some amount of chicken-and-egg here. If a promoter does not have the sanction in hand, it will be harder for him to find sponsors. If he does not have sponsors in hand, he may have no way to be relatively sure he will have the added money. Some promoters -- Matchroom comes to mind -- have the resources to make the prize fund happen and only need the sanction if they decide they want to organize a particular event.
Well said. WPA just sanctions events. If the local promoter can't come-up with the $$$ well, no event. Hearn was wise to distance himself from the WPA. Think boxing and pro cycling and you kind of get an idea how the WPA operates. Paper tiger in my opinion.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Sure, but couldn't you make your proposal for an event 2 years down the road, secure the sponsors and then announce a year in advance? I don't know how this works but it just seems like things are announced before everything is solid. And if the resources that need to brought together are too restrictive, perhaps the criteria for sanctioning needs to be reevaluated.

I don't really know how to fix the problem, but I have to imagine there are some inefficiencies that can be addressed. I think the issue is a mixture of creating frustration in the fan base by consistently announcing and cancelling events, and providing sanctioning for a world championship to someone who can't pull it off. I never look at the WPA calender because I don't trust that the scheduled events will actually happen

I don't think I can ever forget the World 8 ball debacle where the event was pulled from Toronto (people who had sanctioning and a venue ready to go) to give to another group who ultimately had none of that but promised more money.

Something needs to change and it has to start with our governing bodies and our preconceived notions of how professional pool should operate.