What happened to Mika

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s more like 10-15 years ago he was the hottest player on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overall my theory is that SVB raised the bar to a new level. We have a new crop of players rising/challenging the new standard. The existing Hall of Fame players are too old to grow to that level. Something about brain plasticity.

MagicMcNamara

Registered
About five or six years ago, he was the hottest player on the planet.

Just seems like he's not motivated anymore. He's super fit and healthy I just think he's trying to enjoy his life, travel and party. He came here 2 years in a row for a good sized tour won the first one 2 years ago, second one john morra won it

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
About five or six years ago, he was the hottest player on the planet.

In case you haven't noticed....there is always a "time" when somebody is the "hottest player on the planet". Some of those "times" are shorter for some than for others.

His "time" came and went. Simple as that.

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He still plays(and whines) quite a bit. He's still capable of pretty hi-gear pool. He has mellowed(a tad) over time. Not quite as whiny/b^&chy as when he was young.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Only one guy that nobody ever beats. Old man Time. He grinds away, eventually beating all.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that 13 to 2 beat down at the Turning Stone Classic from Shaw in 43 minutes ruined him.

It's a young man's game at the highest levels.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overall my theory is that SVB raised the bar to a new level. We have a new crop of players rising/challenging the new standard. The existing Hall of Fame players are too old to grow to that level. Something about brain plasticity.

Speak for yourself you whippersnapper you....

You oh rounder..

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
He's in NYC playing great and having fun

My youngest son drew Mika at Amsterdams a couple of years ago in his league. Due to the handicap my boy got many games on the wire, Mika killed him but it was a cool experience to play a pro. I have been playing for 50 years and have yet to have a chance to play a pro.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The truth is that few manage to retain their top speed beyond the age of 45 in pool. Yes, a few come to mind like Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland, Jose Parica, Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, and Ralf Souquet, but they are the exception.

Mika is still a fine player, capable of beating anyone, but not good enough to string win after win against a parade of elite opponents, and that's what it takes to win titles. Mika may enjoy one or two more isolated successes, but a return to his form of old seems very improbable.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
In case you haven't noticed....there is always a "time" when somebody is the "hottest player on the planet". Some of those "times" are shorter for some than for others.

That's right. My time was 8:36pm on Saturday, June 20th, 1992.

It's been downhill from there ever since.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The truth is that few manage to retain their top speed beyond the age of 45 in pool. Yes, a few come to mind like Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland, Jose Parica, Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, and Ralf Souquet, but they are the exception.

Mika is still a fine player, capable of beating anyone, but not good enough to string win after win against a parade of elite opponents, and that's what it takes to win titles. Mika may enjoy one or two more isolated successes, but a return to his form of old seems very improbable.

You're right, Mika is 46, going on 47. He's getting really old! I'm going to buy him a cane. :D

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it so insulting for you clowns to toss dirt on Mika and surmise foolish theories of ineptitude on a player of Hall of Fame status. This isn't some "Johnny-Come-Lately" player who was a flash in the pan. Show a little respect for his long list of accomplishments. This just in - Mika can still play.

BTY - Who's your next HOF target that does not meet your standards?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it so insulting for you clowns to toss dirt on Mika and surmise foolish theories of ineptitude on a player of Hall of Fame status. This isn't some "Johnny-Come-Lately" player who was a flash in the pan. Show a little respect for his long list of accomplishments. This just in - Mika can still play.

Easy there Annie Oakley.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you’re in the HOF, you’ve been given your dues and recognition. There’s no disrespect in saying that none of them are the now-current “hottest player on the planet” as the OP phrased it. As much as we love and respect Strickland, Reyes, Bustamante, Immonen, Archer, Souquet, Morris, Pagalayan, or Appleton...nobody is considering any of them the hands down favorite to win 1st place in the 2020 US Open. Maybe 2-3 of them could buckle down and give us an underdog story but I’m not sure Immonen would be one of them. That’s just speaking from reality (and respect).