2017 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
153 in practice this afternoon. Missed a very makable (though not easy as should be) key ball when (again…) the mobile phone rang. Now going to make it a rule to turn it off once I'm into three digits. Having said that, there were a couple of shots earlier that I thought I'd missed but didn't. Getting old and nervous, back pain, feeling weak, sweaty palms, blurry eyes, confused - seriously, can't recommend it to anyone… :rolleyes:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Congrats David on your great run.... not an easy thing to do.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Congrats David on your great run.... not an easy thing to do.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's weird sometimes, feeling like quitting altogether, that my eyes and game are completely gone, and then, just when I'm tired and ready to wrap things up for the day, the last break shot I set up I'm running three digits again. :rolleyes:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 73 ball run today. Hopefully I'm out of the rut I have been in!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It took me 3 months to break 40 and then didn't play 14.1 for a couple years, then in my first practice session I broke 50. Go figure.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week i finally got back practicing 14.1. It was so hard after for while. Today I had time to shoot some 14.1. I think I made 105 today. I check it from video later. ☺

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Ran an 85 today 9/17/17, with 4 witnesses cheering me on, felt great !!

damn had no shot after a Breakshot. I was well on my way to a hundo. Table was wide open too...ugh!! Had to try a crazy kiss carom shot to try to keep Run going. Missed the pocket by an inch ��

Steve

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ran an 85 today 9/17/17, with 4 witnesses cheering me on, felt great !!

damn had no shot after a Breakshot. I was well on my way to a hundo. Table was wide open too...ugh!! Had to try a crazy kiss carom shot to try to keep Run going. Missed the pocket by an inch ��

Steve

Nice run! Dont give up!

I got more inspiration to shoot 14.1 too!(Made again 99 yesterday:()

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I just had a 24 ball run, which is my highest so far (prev: 17, over two breaks). Had a pocket rattler bounce out, but had a break ball set up and was working on getting to the last few of the second rack. I will confess that at one point, I thought, "To hell with the next break. Take the easy shots and get to 30."

(I started with a back cut side break.)

Between "Play Your Best Straight Pool" and "Break Shot Patterns", I'm really beginning to see the routes.

Last edited:

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
WOOHOO!

I just topped 24, with a new lifetime high run of 28! I had to make a choice about routes, and would like to be able to run the last five shots again differently, but I had a makeable 5 footer or so on my KB, but undercut it. I was close to a rail and had to use inside English to come back up for my BB. Just couldn't quite do it.

Learned a very valuable lesson as I practiced tonight. I had been hitting back-cut break shots to begin my "inning" and thought that speed should be pretty high (9+ on a 10 scale).

I kept missing the damned BB. First undercut, then over. Then I'd make it but scratch. Then run the CB up table. Finally backed off the speed to about a 6. Made every BB, kept the CB on the rack half of the table, and nearly always had a shot, and then secondary break shots. I've learned that I prefer to pick apart a rack like that, rather than having the one shot scatter that I can't control as well.

So anyway...28! Thirty, here I come!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOOHOO!

I had been hitting back-cut break shots to begin my "inning" and thought that speed should be pretty high (9+ on a 10 scale).

good to read about your progress, and yep, dont have to hit it that hard :wink:

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High run

I have a tight 8' table 3 3/4" corner pockets at home. I have runs daily in the 20's on that with a high run of 52 a couple years ago. I played in a straight pool league this summer for a couple months. They have a 9' global there that I played on, never really felt comfortable with the extra length of the shots. My high run during league play was 28 this August. So put me down for a 28 please. Thanks:smile:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Tried upping the ante last night 10/15/17 but just fell short of my run on this thread. Missed a tough Breakshot at 84 with a lot of distractions going on side tables next to me by non pool playing people’s.

Steve

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today I am starting my practice for 14.1 nationals which will take place next Sunday, hopefully I will run some decent numbers to put in this thread in the process :wink: I havent participated much here at AZ 14.1 challenge for the last year or two but I will again ;) My last triple digit run occured back in 2013 when I practiced 14-1 regularly so I guess it is time to push my limits a little bit once again :)

Last edited: