CJ Wiley VS Efren Reyes - June 19, 2018

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know any details, but I've heard that CJ will play Efren on June 19.

If anyone knows any more than that, please post the information.

I'd like to watch it, if it is streamed.

Aloha.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aloha.
Its most likely going to be in Dallas. I might have to drive down and sweat this. Hope its at Rusty's in Arlington.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Got to see Efren at Griff's in Las Vegas recently … great stuff. Even though this forum, for the most part, was very anti CJ I've always liked him. I used to applaud his alligator skin for taking all the abuse but he finally had enough and left. So a bunch of trolls chased off a pro who regularly contributed to the forum. Sad, just my view.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Got to see Efren at Griff's in Las Vegas recently … great stuff. Even though this forum, for the most part, was very anti CJ I've always liked him. I used to applaud his alligator skin for taking all the abuse but he finally had enough and left. So a bunch of trolls chased off a pro who regularly contributed to the forum. Sad, just my view.

He used to come in our room frequently, many years ago. I got to know him fairly well. I always found him to be very unassuming, quiet, respectful... and played like God On Acid, even back then when he was in his early 20s.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hey Gar... did C.J. sell his room?

Not completely....he’s still got a touch of inside.

CJ...ten years younger, but not as active as Efren.
I like Efren at one pocket and eightball.
CJ might have the edge at nine and ten ball.

Worth watching

Michael Andros

Silver Member

Worth watching

And how. :yeah:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aloha.

Check out the other thread on his schedule:
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=475238

If he is playing him on the 19th then according to that it is at Legends in Ft Worth.

I'd like to see a stream of him playing Jermey Jones if that is in fact on the 15th....

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like CJ, too.

Yes, the trolls on here did everything they could to make him feel uncomfortable on the forum. I'm not as sure they "ran him off" as I am to believe he just got tired of talking to "idiots".

He was over here in Hawaii several months ago and I spent a few hours practicing with him before he played in a mini-tournament with Rodney Morris. He won the tournament, beating Rodney in the finals.

Some people think he is a bit "odd", but I tend to think that everybody has a bit of "oddness" to them if you listen to them long enough.

For his age, and for not playing all the time, he still plays DAMN GOOD. I suspect he can hang with Efren just about as well as any other pro can.

I sure hope this match is streamed or recorded and posted somewhere.

Aloha.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Worth watching

I agree, efren all day in 1 hole and 8 ball but I'm not sure about CJ having an edge on anything pool against efren. Unless efren is not feeling well. In that case, yes, CJ "might" have an edge in rotation games.

I too have always liked watching CJ and never understood why he was not more popular than he was/is among pool players in general.

There have been/are IMO pros today that are not as entertaining or skilled as CJ was/is but for what ever reason the less skilled/entertaining players are more popular.

I was always told it was due to non pool related things. Maybe side business of some kind.

Either way, I look forward to seeing great players such as they are lock horns.

Should be fun to watch.

Rake

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree, efren all day in 1 hole and 8 ball but I'm not sure about CJ having an edge on anything pool against efren. Unless efren is not feeling well. In that case, yes, CJ "might" have an edge in rotation games.

I too have always liked watching CJ and never understood why he was not more popular than he was/is among pool players in general.

There have been/are IMO pros today that are not as entertaining or skilled as CJ was/is but for what ever reason the less skilled/entertaining players are more popular.
——————————————————————-
I was always told it was due to non pool related things. Maybe side business of some kind.
———————————————————————
Either way, I look forward to seeing great players such as they are lock horns.

Should be fun to watch.

Rake

Jealousy, perhaps...CJ made it in the business world also.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

I like C.J. He was run out by the "Haters", Reminds me of the abuse Trump has to take from the left wing whacko's in the media. He contributed good things to this forum. Oh well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you nailed it. Jealous is what it was.
I remember CJ from his road-dog days in late 80's. He saved his money and opened, iirc, two rooms in Dallas. Also took a shot at starting a new tour. Pool kinda died in DFW and he shut the Palace down. He's pretty busy both playing and giving lessons. He looked like he always had a plan and he stuck to it. Few players of his era( probably Archer, Wetch, KimD.) were as savvy as CJ.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
CJ sold it at least 10yrs ago. It was still a 'hall for a while but it was a dump compared to its glory days. I think its a pizza place now. Sad.

Yeah... sometimes I worry about pool, just in general. A local, good player from Tampa told me not long ago there is no pool room at all there. And Tampa is @ 300,000 people and is HUGE geographically. There used to be 7 or 8 rooms there, ranging from family ferns-in-planters types to Baker's, Varsity, Bill Stigal's place, etc... no more. Very sad. I don't know if that's really true but I have no reason to doubt him. And we have been having a lot of players from Tampa showing up semi-regularly at the room.