Most Amazing Thing You've Seen in Pool

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Steve Lipsky beating Nick Varner in the first World Summit of Pool. It was probably the greatest 'local guy beats touring pro' story I was ever witness to.

I watched Jason Klatt beat Ralf Souquet on the Canadian 9 Ball tour.

same deal.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I think that Gabe Owen has one about the time he played Petroni at Valley Forge. I wish I had seen it.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
How many players were left in the Ring Game when he got to the 13th break shot? I might have quit after five or six in a row. :eek:

I'd have quit after the fourth one, especially if I complained about the rack and was voted down.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going back a ways!

jay helfert said:
I know the guy, a tall gentleman out of Texas. His name is Reed something. He is the greatest at rolling the balls I've ever seen, right there with Mike Massey. Actually he can do some of the same tricks that Mike can, with spinning the cue ball. He has big hands.

Reed would be in his late sixties now. I last saw him at CJ Wiley's tournament in Dallas ten years ago. He actually gave me a ride to my hotel one night. A soft spoken guy who does not brag and also does not need the money. He is well to do as I recall. He is friends with CJ. Reed used to come to some of the pro tournamants and occasionally fool around with the balls after the matches. He would not look for action, but if someone doubted his ability rolling the balls, he was always ready to put his money up.

Jay, this may have been a "hair" before your time (no pun intended) but
did you know that Titanic Thompson (Thomas) was an unbelievable
3-rail kicker ? He was never above a shortstop at pool (and he hated
that) but none of the top players around Dallas could beat him at any
type of kicking game. Ask Buddy Hall or Alfie Taylor. He was also told, by
Sam Snead, that he (Ti) had the greatest natural golf swing he'd ever
seen. He routinely shot in the 70's when he was in is 70's. He is still
the most unforgetable character I've ever met. I have some stories
about him that would curl your hair. (oops.)
One other pool feat that I thought was pretty strong. Running back to
back 6 pockets (in golf on a fairly tough 6 x 12) from the break. (I have
witnesses)

Dick

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
I'd have quit after the fourth one, especially if I complained about the rack and was voted down.
I really should have quit, and the pro I was backing wanted to, but I was young and stupid and told him to stay in the game. He did, and we were down about 3-4 games after all the 9 snaps. When he got back to even he quit. His mind was a little fried at that point.We were the only ones that quit the game. There were 4 left after we got out.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Jay, this may have been a "hair" before your time (no pun intended) but
did you know that Titanic Thompson (Thomas) was an unbelievable
3-rail kicker ? He was never above a shortstop at pool (and he hated
that) but none of the top players around Dallas could beat him at any
type of kicking game. Ask Buddy Hall or Alfie Taylor. He was also told, by
Sam Snead, that he (Ti) had the greatest natural golf swing he'd ever
seen. He routinely shot in the 70's when he was in is 70's. He is still
the most unforgetable character I've ever met. I have some stories
about him that would curl your hair. (oops.)
One other pool feat that I thought was pretty strong. Running back to
back 6 pockets (in golf on a fairly tough 6 x 12) from the break. (I have
witnesses)

Dick
Bump for Jay!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The most amazing thing that I've seen is my DVD of Danny Medina playing Billy Incardona, and after they both had a rather slow start, he broke and ran 9-racks in a row, before he hopped the ball off the table on the break. These weren't easy racks either. He made some very tough cuts, banks, even a kick-bank-combination.

Banks

Banned
I was trying to scour Oscar's posts for any nuggets of pool wisdom and came across this thread.. pretty good stuff in here. :thumbup: