2013 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
An embarrassing 68. First I missed the opening break shot, then at 56 I missed easy position on the break ball, missed the stack so I played the top ball in the stack cross side and it went, lol. Finished it off with a stupid scratch when I pocketed the 69th ball.

https://vimeo.com/57986246

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Bill!

The *run-manager* is back home! Hr :D
Wb and grats

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Congrats

Wow!

Lots of great activity. First of all, the hardest working man in show biz, Andy Lincoln breaks 100 after toiling in the obscurity of multiple 70s for years. Wonderful. Richard Molinieri was talking about Andy being capable of snapping off 70s, during the commentary of his Mika match at Maryland. Great Job.

Then Mr. 14.1, Steve Kurtz slips a 68 in. Just another day at the office for Steve. He awakens Marop from his long sleep and Bill needs to start with a cosmo, get choke artist shape on his last break ball and come with a circus shot in the last rack to equal him. But, the music was good, so I can't complain.

Sean gets a 78, but I imagine he will break a hundred again before this year is out.

Mike gets a 62, but I think he is just warming up. I know he is like Marop in that when he sees a number up on the board, he wants to beat it. I have a feeling he is aiming at the 120 that newcomer Yoda put up, as they both hail from the Lone Star State.

What can we say about Stevie Patterns!? Plays 2 times in 2013 and already a 168. Full time job. Young child. Shifting priorities. Yet he is still a monster.

Steve's opponent from Maryland of a few years back has the high so far, but I would think that number too will go up.

Congrats to the rest of you guys, including Ratta and 9 ball Jim. Keep them coming.

I am on a temporary straight pool hiatus due to bizarro patterns, and the concentration span of a gnat, coupled with arthritic ankles and a weak back, but I have not given up the battle. Hopefully, I can cure what ails me and get back to my rightful place-"raining 20s". :cool:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
77 on 23th of jan.
Wonderfully stuck between balls trying to open 8 clustered balls. Then making kickshot......and whitey scratched.
7 or 8 combos....lol.but really happy.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
77 for the man

77 on 23th of jan.
Wonderfully stuck between balls trying to open 8 clustered balls. Then making kickshot......and whitey scratched.
7 or 8 combos....lol.but really happy.

Great run Ratta, proud of you as always

Dennis: great comments on everyone. I enjoyed reading them all.
As for what you wrote about me.... you know me too well.

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
wo-hoo, first time for years I see this thread to get 3 pages longer since my last log on :D
Congrats to everyone stringing good racks together, especially to Andy Lincoln. Now you know all you need to do after running a hundo, take a deep breath and add your ordinary 70!!!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
86 last night. Will post video shortly. Would have been more but i got sharked by the waitress.

Prodigy1:

I just saw your "Leaving AZ" thread concerning the issues in the Wanted / For Sale subforum.

I do hope that you're able to upload the video of your run of 86 before you leave us -- that's a really nice run, and we'd love to see it!

-Sean

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean and co.,
Sorry to help derail this thread. Let me try to get it back on track. I had my first "practice session" of straight pool last night for this new year. Mark me down for a 29. I whiffed the stack BIG TIME with a workable break ball. I'll get that number up where it needs to be in the next month or two.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Sean and co.,
Sorry to help derail this thread. Let me try to get it back on track. I had my first "practice session" of straight pool last night for this new year. Mark me down for a 29. I whiffed the stack BIG TIME with a workable break ball. I'll get that number up where it needs to be in the next month or two.

start gearing up for NJ Eric, you know where we'll be !!!!

and I am not shocked you wiffed the stack either !!! lol lol

hope to see you soon

- Steve

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had a 56 in league last night, Jan. 22nd. It was about 35-and-out and in this league you get to keep shooting for high run bonus. My key ball was a little awkward and I had to hit it hard enough to follow to the cushion and out three diamonds. It went straight into the middle of pocket and came right back out.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
ran 23, then shortly afterwards made 26. Had to play fine position on a key ball across the table, 2 rails, and... scratched in the side of course. Still satisfied with the run, though regret I didn't run more (I think it's always like that, more often than not the run ends in a position when it could have been continued)

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
Played 14.1 for basically the first time in my life to prepare for a tournament in a couple weeks (twice for about an hour and a half), it was fun and frustrating at the same time...this little 21 ball run made my day though! :)

Also ran 28 for the leaderboard [Video]...

Any pointers/suggestions or goal recommendations with a commitment of 3 2-hr sessions a week?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played 14.1 for basically the first time in my life to prepare for a tournament in a couple weeks (twice for about an hour and a half), it was fun and frustrating at the same time...this little 21 ball run made my day though! :)

Also ran 28 for the leaderboard [Video]...

Any pointers/suggestions or goal recommendations with a commitment of 3 2-hr sessions a week?

dfweyer:

First, congratulations and welcome to the exciting and challenging world of 14.1. You've just started an "awe sh*t" journey, because this game is so addictive! :D

Second, I've watched your videos, and have a couple suggestions:

1. Cue ball, cue ball, cue ball. While watching, I noticed that you take a shot without any real thought of where the cue ball is going to go. What I mean by that is not so much the angle (e.g. you are cognizant of breaking up clusters, and I see you leverage that knowledge), but rather *how far* the cue ball is going to go. For instance, you bump into balls unnecessarily, and end up with clusters that you didn't have before.

2. You have a nice pace at the table, but it might help if you contemplate your patterns more, instead of "shooting the shot immediately in front of you." Take a minute to try to plan out your pattern, and then, of course, "step right into it," shooting the shots with little deliberation. You'll find that taking a moment to "take in the table" prior to getting into shooting stance on that first shot, will help you to see more than just two shots ahead.

3. Plan for your break ball a little better. Once you get down to the last five balls in the rack, you should already have your break ball and key ball to that break ball picked out. Then, it's running that "last five" pattern to get on the key ball where it's a simple stop shot to have automatic position on your break ball. A ball near the side pocket is the classic key ball for a break ball near the side of the rack.

4. Christmas is over. So the "blue cloth with red rails" (Christmas colors) is out of season. ;)

J/K on that last one. But congrats on your first couple of runs -- for someone that doesn't play 14.1, you did quite well!

Warmest regards,
-Sean

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Mr. Jewett very nice strong run during a league match.

dfweyer:.... great comments by Sean & I agree 100%. I watched your video the moment you posted it but I could not take my eyes off of the colors of the rails & bed of the table. I think I missed a lot going on. Anyways, it's a good start and I can see that you have the skills to get better & better. Keep up the good work.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far this year my high run is a 28 I pulled off while practicing on table 1 at Sandcastle yesterday. My run ended because I left myself a really long shot with a 2 rail half table draw to open the rack. I missed the shot rattling the break ball in the pocket but I did knock out a few balls using the cue ball that looked good for my next shot. Too bad I wasn't careful enough to make the break ball! Next time! Next time!

While my numbers so far are not as high as last year, the equipment I was using this time(3 7/8" pockets, 9 foot Brunswick and fairly fast cloth) is WAY tougher then the slow cloth, big pocket 8x4 basement table I occasionally played on last year.

I'm inspired by all the runs posted so far and it's inspiring to see how many people are getting into playing 14.1. I really hope to post some bigger numbers this year...maybe I'd better stick to normal/standard size pockets for that...;) but the tougher tables are so darn tempting.

Sandcastle has a nice variety of tougher tables with the 10 ft Accu-Stats diamond, diamond-ized gold crown 3 s and tight pocket table 1. Sorry if I sound like I'm doing an advertisement but it's been quite a while since I was around a Billiards establishment with challenging tables like these all in one place that also takes care of them too.

Good shooting to you guys!

Kevin

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys :)

i tried solo straight pool yesterday, boy its ADDICTIVE!!!

did one 17 and one 22.... the end was ugly....

but im hooked to get more :grin:

waiting to see more videos of you.

greetings! ben