How many players in the US are too good (or would not be allowed) to play in the APA?

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apa

Four or five years ago they made Mike Dechaine an eight in eight ball in Maine APA. before they banned him for being a pro.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
No high level players?

The problem being many shooters who play mainly just leagues are a whiny bunch and don't have an understanding of the immense pool of very talented players who do not shoot leagues.

If you were playing on bar boxes, it's not too difficult to imagine a player ranked an 8 getting up 60-1 against a 6. Good players can get hot and 9-ball barbox can be streaky.

As for the original question, it might not be so much players who are "too good" to play in leagues, as the top handicap number could support a wide berth of talent, but that top players are either bored by leagues or just don't have the time.

I prefer the race format in the APA but it's a detriment being a high handicap because you usually end up waiting until the last match of the night or perhaps not playing at all. Getting to put together a skilled team in BCA or Valley is great but I'm not a big fan of the single game against an opponent. I do like the quick nights though.

The last couple seasons I played in APA there were at least three players in the league who had run over 100 in 14-1, and it was not surprising to see any of them run 8 racks of 8-ball or 9-ball. ..and we played on 9-foot tables.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In my neck of the woods, I've seen C/C+ make it to an SL7 in APA 8-ball. In 9-ball, SL9 comparable to B, B+. Using a known scale such as 9-ball ABCD rating, if you know the break down of players against this scale then you can arrive at a good estimate.

So, the question could be how many players in the US are qualified to play A+ or above. From my limited league experience, as long as you don't cause issues in the APA and faithfully pay your dues you will not get banned or kicked out.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Lots of valid points on his thread

I was speaking from my experience in the Frederick, Maryland area where we play on 9' tables and the APA 9's and Masters players play fairly strong. Not consistently mind you but I have seen our stronger 9's beat Shuff, Davis, Wilkie and Stottlemeyer in regional tournaments. Certainly over the long haul the Pro's will win far more but my point was the 9's are capable and do beat Pro's in regional events.

Just sharing my experience in my area! I saw a lot of other valid experiences while reading through the posts this morning.

Wedge

IPH

Registered
I was speaking from my experience in the Frederick, Maryland area where we play on 9' tables and the APA 9's and Masters players play fairly strong. Not consistently mind you but I have seen our stronger 9's beat Shuff, Davis, Wilkie and Stottlemeyer in regional tournaments. Certainly over the long haul the Pro's will win far more but my point was the 9's are capable and do beat Pro's in regional events.

Just sharing my experience in my area! I saw a lot of other valid experiences while reading through the posts this morning.

Wedge

You already know that Frederick MD area APA is strong as heck though and almost exclusively on 9 footers. It can't be like that everywhere though...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
over the last 2 years our sun night double jeapordy division has almost doubled in the number of teams playing. last year it got to where there were more teams than bar tables available.

as a result we started rotating some teams between the bar tables and 9 footers. well we had another team join this session and our lo decided to take a vote on whether to split the division with half playing on the bar tables full time and the other half playing on 9 footers full time.

the vote was close but resulted in us continuing to rotate as we have been doing.
several voters thought like i did. i love playing on the 9's and have played in house leagues on 9's several times but would not want to do it full time in apa . nothing worse than watching 2-2's bang balls around for 30 or so innings on a 9' table.:eek:

when my team plays on bar tables we are usually through by 10;30. there have been some nights when we play on the 9's we dont get through till 12;00.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Sorry if this is a very stupid or silly question, but I am just curious on an estimate of how many american pool players out there are too good, or would not be allowed to play in the APA (if they wanted to)?

I know a few players that have been banned from the APA, but it was not because they were pro speed (they were banned for other reasons), so I would like to not count those that are not allowed to play in the APA for reasons like sandbagging for example.

Just curious on opinions of how many active players out there would be too strong for even the strongest 7's (in 8 ball) or 9's (in 9 ball)?

I asked a similar question awhile back about how many pro's there are in the US, and I guess that this is a different type of question (because most replied with an answer of SVB being the only pro player in the US).

So is there a line between being too strong to be in the APA, and being a pro?

I am guessing that at least 99% of the guys that travel around on the tours like the Viking tour, and the Midwest 9 ball tour (and the Siminal pro tour) would be too strong to play in the APA, but I do not know.

I don't know but I do know I was an APA 7/9 and have seen people who can give me weight playing in the minis out in Vegas as 5s.

APA tops out at 7/9 so really anyone can play APA unless they are a pro and if pros are specifically banned. I don't know what APA's specific policies are.

The answer to your question is that there are a lot of people who are "too good" for APA in the sense that they are 7s and above but who are still nowhere close to pro speed.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA does not allow professional pool players........... There is no ban for being too good................

Kim

The first half of this statement is true. However, the second half is not! I know someone who received a letter from the APA informing them that they would no longer be allowed to participate in the APA. The reason? His skill level is not what the APA would consider "amateur." The ban includes ALL facets of the APA, leagues and tournaments, for the rest of his life!
Oh yeah, he works on cars for a living...

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know but I do know I was an APA 7/9 and have seen people who can give me weight playing in the minis out in Vegas as 5s.

APA tops out at 7/9 so really anyone can play APA unless they are a pro and if pros are specifically banned. I don't know what APA's specific policies are.

The answer to your question is that there are a lot of people who are "too good" for APA in the sense that they are 7s and above but who are still nowhere close to pro speed.

I don't know what world you live in ,is there some that play like Shane no but there's many that play lower end pro speed ,, Skylar was APA player and was playing even with Warren K at that time ,, Scotty Boggs , one of the best players in MD history played APA and could play better than many lower end pro's,, Brandon Shuff former APA player, played on a team with Manny Chau before they kicked Manny off ,, Brian Deska ,, monster player won numerous APT events ,, played APA
I could go on and on in just my area ,, so I'm more than sure there many more throughout the country

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what world you live in ,is there some that play like Shane no but there's many that play lower end pro speed ,, Skylar was APA player and was playing even with Warren K at that time ,, Scotty Boggs , one of the best players in MD history played APA and could play better than many lower end pro's,, Brandon Shuff former APA player, played on a team with Manny Chau before they kicked Manny off ,, Brian Deska ,, monster player won numerous APT events ,, played APA
I could go on and on in just my area ,, so I'm more than sure there many more throughout the country

Those are the exception not the rule sir. I know you are trying to prove your point but I think you may live in an area that is very strong. The APA is huge and run all over the country. A skill level in one area is not the same as the same skill level in another area.

There have been millions of people that have played in the APA. The amount that are pro speed are not that high.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Once again, please invest in a class for adult learning so that you can learn to read and comprehend what you read before responding.

The fact that a tiny minority of APA players who are 7+ ranked are ALSO pro or shortstop speed doesn't mean that the MAJORITY of them are.

One thing is 100% true, you can go on and on.

The question the OP asked is are there a lot of players who are too good for the APA who would be barred and the answer is that in some cases yes but in MOST cases no.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are the exception not the rule sir. I know you are trying to prove your point but I think you may live in an area that is very strong. The APA is huge and run all over the country. A skill level in one area is not the same as the same skill level in another area.

There have been millions of people that have played in the APA. The amount that are pro speed are not that high.

I agree I do live in a area that's strong the 2 biggest APA leagues in the country are right here ,,is it the norm certainly not but these players do exist in other areas also

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree I do live in a area that's strong the 2 biggest APA leagues in the country are right here ,,is it the norm certainly not but these players do exist in other areas also
But for someone to say there's no pro speed players given the fact there is now a masters league that has attracted many high level players that otherwise were not playing is ridicules

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ban or too good for?

I do not believe the APA goes out of it's way to prevent anybody from playing, but as has been said over and over in this thread higher level players probably will or would not enjoy the experience.

Leagues are regional franchises and the possibility of playing the best players is limited. It is really more of a social gathering for a night out.

Also, if you do get to that no-mans land of 7+ in 8ball the APA will fail to satisfy your competitive juices, at least on a consistent weekly basis.

They also have no real platform for advanced skill level play. The Master division is a weak insulting joke on their part, and an after thought by APA management at best.

As tempting it is to derail this thread. I will just go back to answer straight forward to the OP's question and say " Not Many, Not Many at all."

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But for someone to say there's no pro speed players given the fact there is now a masters league that has attracted many high level players that otherwise were not playing is ridicules

But that's not what the thread is about soooooo....

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again, please invest in a class for adult learning so that you can learn to read and comprehend what you read before responding.

The fact that a tiny minority of APA players who are 7+ ranked are ALSO pro or shortstop speed doesn't mean that the MAJORITY of them are.

The question the OP asked is are there a lot of players who are too good for the APA who would be barred and the answer is that in some cases yes but in MOST cases no.[/QUOTE

You might want to invest in the same class , the OP was , are there many and with out a doubt the answer is yes ,, is it a majority of 250k players hell no not by any stretch of the imagination ,, ,,

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

The question the OP asked is are there a lot of players who are too good for the APA who would be barred and the answer is that in some cases yes but in MOST cases no.[/QUOTE

You might want to invest in the same class , the OP was , are there many and with out a doubt the answer is yes ,, is it a majority of 250k players hell no not by any stretch of the imagination ,, ,,

Well I suppose to you it's many when there are any.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I suppose to you it's many when there are any.

It's relative to where you play My brother was the only 7 for miles around when he lived in Idaho ,, , here he's a average 7 at best ,, we have some world beaters in this area ,, considering how many Americam pro's there are the number would be high but in a league that has 250 k and your asking what the percentage is I would say less than 1/2 pct that's still a lot ,, I guees the OP question should be what percent is too good that answer would be not many , but that was not what was asked

Last edited: