SBE underwhelming..

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone stick around to. See who won the women's event ? It's not on the web site.

Jennifer should be imbarrased to take 5 hours to play a race to 11. Rediculous...

LoreeJon won the women's event. I am still trying to find out who won the amateur, juniors, and ProAm. Lynn won the seniors. Shane won the men's pro. Who won the one-pocket?

Attachments

• 17522768_10210586342247746_8259854882932941587_n.jpg
    17522768_10210586342247746_8259854882932941587_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 524

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
To the OP. Have to agree with you. As I walked around the Expo between matches, there were way too many enpty booths. Mueller's absence was front and center. Sadly most of the empty booths had signs on them indicating someone paid for the space! Good for Allen. Bad for the Expo attendees. Still lots and lots of cues and accessories. Wow are there some incredible craftsmen in our industry! Saw a photo of Mike Sigel at the Drawman booth I'd never seen before. All in all it was still somewhat exhilarating. More than enough to see to make attending worthwhile. JMHO.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
LoreeJon won the women's event. I am still trying to find out who won the amateur, juniors, and ProAm. Lynn won the seniors. Shane won the men's pro. Who won the one-pocket?

Wow Jen, if that had happened at Turning Stone, Mike Zuglan would have put a shot clock on the match before the two hour point. Rediculous!!!! Even a Don Steele / Steve Lillis Super Senior match would have been shorter :thumbup: :eek: !.

Lyn

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a good clothing selection this year but I only visited the thing one other time, in 2015. No real hat selection, most shirts just had penis or boob humor on them. Was looking for something for my 11 yr old, and the only shirt I found she could wear was $50-60. Last time seemed there were twice as many clothing vendors, I got a few shirts then.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I can concour; the match started approx. 2:30 PM and concluded at 7:30 PM. Flores jumped out to a 9-2 lead, and Barretta grinded back 9 straight in an alternate break format to win the match 11-9.

There were two short bathroom breaks, each of which took about 3 minutes apiece. No other breaks in the matchplay.

To describe the pace of the match as methodical and cautious would be like describing the pace of the movement of the tectonic plates to have celerity and haste. The atmosphere was further exacerbated since SVB and Chua were warming up on the tv table for what seemed like more than an hour, in desperate hopes that the match would eventually be completed and both finals could be started concurrently.

With the crowd at wit's end, the presiding TD mercifully commenced the men's final, with Shane jumping out to a 4-0 lead and playing like his car was double-parked outside. I'd like to say that by the time Jennifer had sunk the final ball, the men had completed at least 7 or 8 racks.

You were channeling your inner Grady Mathews with that report.

Not a negative at all, thanks for the report!

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear that you did not have a good time at SBX this year. You can vote with your feet and choose to attend another event.

For me, I'm planning to be back.
1. You can finally get quarters on site now.
2. Kudos to the SBX security staff for detaining an assailant from leaving the pit until the police arrived.

I agree here. Every year the expo is different. Some years more memorable than others, but it's all about what you take away from it. Can anyone tell us happened with the police and that guy in the pit? I was outside when the police arrived ( think it was on Friday?)

I got to talk to some kid they call Delicious who signed a dvd for me, I got to meet my Cuemaker, which would have been otherwise impossible.

I played fantastic, even though I lost my first match. I got to see and play with TK from FLA and he signed a shirt for all incoming players ( got the winning one :), got to spend time with my pops and that's what mattered most to me, anyway.

Got to see some old friends from my old stomping grounds and generally had a pretty rockin PA good time. Overpaid for food, underpaid for entertainment. Saw snow and remembered why the hell I don't live up there anymore...:cool:

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well all the expo events were sold out record # for warmups
Tap players had 12k top dream team prizes that's with a s
singles ,minis all night
all the tap events sold out weeks ago!
I went to diamond vender about my table recovered by them on weds at 4pm/
tech went with me to my 7' diamond right away .
860HR simonies tremendous job $350 special price as I am 10 minutes away.
yea fed him helped him and drank some beer!
he filled me in on some interesting behind the scene news .
Steve and his dad travel worldwide doing setup and service for major events. plus they are diamond table installers .
Came back on Saturday with engineer level to re level table as the slate had to be moved due to pockets not previously secured .
m
Soup , snacks and some beer plus more stories of the pool players rich and famous ?
I was told over 35 tables sold record for diamond
small tip was given yea

Last edited:

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Yeah, there were far fewer booths than the other times I've gone. The current convention center gets the job done, but the SBEs at Valley Forge felt like more of an event.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, there were far fewer booths than the other times I've gone. The current convention center gets the job done, but the SBEs at Valley Forge felt like more of an event.

Agreed. Have been underwhelmed the last four years or so (been going since the late 90's). Less vendors, same custom cues for sale on the secondary market for the last few years (unless they are all starting to look the same).

Spoke to someone who has a lot of knowledge of cue collecting and cues selling on the secondary market. He said "Predator" is the name of the game anymore and cue collecting among the under 40 age group is almost none existent.

poolf4natic

Registered
This was my first time at the expo so I had no expectations, but have to say I had an absolute blast!

Went with a long-time show veteran and friend who showed me around. Spoke with cue dealers and makers. Saw some beautiful cues. Tested a Corey Barnhart player's cue that I swear hit better than my Southwest. Ran into and chatted with Dennis Searing - surreal. Ordered a jump cue from Curtis Robertson, can't wait for that to arrive.

Picked up a Jack Justis case, which is absolutely stunning. Toots was working that raffle like a pro, and was as sweet as can be.

Swung by John Barton's cage and man it was impressive. Already own two of his rugged cases, going to be ordering a leather soon. Bought a ball holder. They are my go to for league hopping, hands down.

Chatted up some of the folks over at Lights Out Billiard Apparel, as they support some lady friends of mine. Love their stuff.

Rooted on a friend in the women's pro event. She hates excuses and will never used them but in her match against April Larson she was clearly sick and in pain, not shooting her full speed. April was a sweetheart and showed concern after the match but of course my friend would never have admitted it so I didn't confirm. In any case, great to see both of them play! I mean, more than great, just awesome!

Watched the women's amateur finals - was rooting for Stacie Bourbeau, mesmerized by her beautiful pattern play and kicks, but couldn't help be equally amazed by Brianna Miller - so so strong these ladies! Literally had sweaty hands and tensed nerves as if I were playing myself.

Got a glove replaced by John at Kamui. They stand behind their products, which is awesome.

Got a 2nd edition copy of The Billiard Encyclopedia from Gianni Calise... I mean, where else you going to find this stuff all in one place?

Bought a special, special cue from a dealer and can't be happier. Got to hit with it at Classic Billiards with my friend where we ran into Donny Mills - he grabbed the neighboring table and occasionally talked cues and shots with my partner-in-crime.

Had dinner a couple times and befriended some really great people. Amazing times, too much food lol!

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but I have to say based on this event I'll definitely be excited to come back next year.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:
Definitely less vendors.
No Mueller. First time in as long as I can remember.
Btw.
What time do doors open?
8?
Exibits 10?
I know Pro's are 11am start.
Got there late Fri.
Back tomorrow.

Are many of the cue makers there? Like Lambros for example? And other high end cue makers? That alone would be pretty exciting for me, to get to see all of the custom cues and cue makers in person. I think it is cool that they hold tournaments for all ages and skill levels too. Like the Juniors for example. I think I would have a great time.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Are many of the cue makers there? Like Lambros for example? And other high end cue makers? That alone would be pretty exciting for me, to get to see all of the custom cues and cue makers in person. I think it is cool that they hold tournaments for all ages and skill levels too. Like the Juniors for example. I think I would have a great time.

Besides all the cue makers that had their own booths, there were many more who were there without booths. Jim Pierce, Dennis Searing, Barry Szamboti, Pete Tasc Sr. & a few others who are slipping my mind at the moment.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Leonard Bludworth was there promoting his ball cleaner. He told me he will be making cues again.

Besides all the cue makers that had their own booths, there were many more who were there without booths. Jim Pierce, Dennis Searing, Barry Szamboti, Pete Tasc Sr. & a few others who are slipping my mind at the moment.

Very cool. The opportunity to maybe meet and get to talk to some legendary cue makers sounds pretty exciting to me. The Derby was pretty cool to go to, but I imagine that the SBE is a lot more fun, and interesting.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but I didn't see Spanky or Scooter at the Expo this year.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be kidding or exaggerating. 20 games, right? That would be an average of 15 minutes per game. For 9-Ball! :eek: Tell me you're kidding.

And in case he is not kidding, can someone who watched give some details on why it was so long? Were there several games with e...x...t...e...n...d...e...d safety battles? Was there a lengthy time out for some reason?
I didn't see her match but one match in the seniors took 4 1/2 hours. I know because I had a bye and was playing the winner of that match. Their match started at 11:00 and I was supposed to play the winner at one. They finally finished at 3:30!!

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to this:

The preceding match between Flores and Duddy lasted from 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM.

Slow play combined with many misses contributed...

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP. Have to agree with you. As I walked around the Expo between matches, there were way too many enpty booths. Mueller's absence was front and center. Sadly most of the empty booths had signs on them indicating someone paid for the space! Good for Allen. Bad for the Expo attendees. Still lots and lots of cues and accessories. Wow are there some incredible craftsmen in our industry! Saw a photo of Mike Sigel at the Drawman booth I'd never seen before. All in all it was still somewhat exhilarating. More than enough to see to make attending worthwhile. JMHO.

Lyn
I have to concur.

I was knocked out of the Open on the first day and stuck around until Sunday because there was so much to see and do. If you can't find what you are looking for at the Expo then perhaps this event is not for you.