Advice for Choosing Cases

The Dragon

Registered
I've run through about 6-7 cases in 8 years, I've changed from one to the next for
various reasons. I'm curious what others have to say about their choice of case and
what they look for when purchasing.

Carrying:
Lambros cue with second shaft and extension
Cuetek Jump cue with handle
Bk2 Break cue with shaft
Cue ball, chalk, other random crap

I started with cheaper hard vinyl cases just to hold cues and quickly came to dislike
some of the cheaper models for durability issues. I went through about 3-4 of
those of various sizes. The vinyl straps would just give way after awhile.

I went to the extreme and went for an Instroke 3x5 which I like, but it's so damn
heavy it started giving me back trouble. Durable as can be but the weight of the
case just made it difficult.

So I switched to the Lucasi soft case 4 x 8, nice weight but couldn't accommodate a
jump handle very well and when the handle strap broke, I got it repaired but wanted
something a little more rugged. got the handle fixed, but needed to move on.

Next went with the Predator Soft case Yellow 3x4, loved this one. perfect size and
pockets held had enough room. I liked this one so much, when the strap broke I got
it repaired twice already. Only dissatisfying part was the quality of where the strap
meets the bag, really terrible design flaw in my opinion.

Not sure what to move to next, I've heard the Black version of the same case doesn't
have the same issues, but Idk if that's just wishful thinking from owners of the black version.

Back with the Lucasi for now.

any suggestions on other cases?

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 663

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using a Dennis Swift case and it's solid. However it's leather and probably as heavy as the Instroke. He will repair any issues that you encounter with the case for the cost of shipping, so that's really cool. He will also make you pockets per your dimensions and his price point is very reasonable for what you're getting.
If you need light weight, have you looked at JB's cases? They seem to be very well received. I assume they are pretty light in the Rugged series.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a JB Rugged.Good protection,not fancy for theft ,and I don't get broken up about it when some slackjaw moron spills beer near it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I haven't had any issues with my Predator soft case.
It's a black one but that shouldn't make any difference.
I'm real careful with it because 4-butts and 8-shafts is a lot of weight for a rather_ inexpensive vinyl case

poolf4natic

Registered
Can't really go wrong with JB Case (ultimate rugged, butterfly, or leather).

Are their rugged cases the prettiest cases? One could argue no, but as far as utility and durability (and protection!) at a reasonable price point, I think they are unmatched. Plus, you can pretty much customize to your hearts content... finally I think John will cover anything structurally wrong with the case.

I currently own or have owned Jack Justis, Instroke buffalo, Predator soft case, Cheapies of various sorts, and 2 JB cases. Guess which one I grab most of the time when I go out to a bar league match?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Instroke case from the first year they came out and I still use it daily.
No problems with zippers, latches, the leather, or anything whatsoever.
Highly recommend them.
I don't know much about the made in China JB cases but I hear good things.
For me I don't see the point.
I would love to support 100% American made in my next case and that rules out JB.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
A couple people at my pool hall started using this case. Seems to be very high quality and has dedicated pockets for most of your accessories.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ditto the endorsement about Instroke cases.

I have several I've collected over the years but
now rely upon a 6x12 Castillo lizard leather case.

Two (2) Instroke hard leather 3x7 cases
One (1) Instroke 2x4 tooled leather case.
One (1) Instroke 4x8 soft leather case.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP like you I went through a ton of cheaper cases and even a few nicer ones. After finally getting fed up with durability and other issues, I ordered a custom JB rugged case. I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend it.

I have an Instroke case from the first year they came out and I still use it daily.
No problems with zippers, latches, the leather, or anything whatsoever.
Highly recommend them.
I don't know much about the made in China JB cases but I hear good things.
For me I don't see the point.
I would love to support 100% American made in my next case and that rules out JB.

If I am not mistaken John Barton also started instroke.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he did.
That doesn't mean I have to buy his cases today.

Of course.

I understand the concern that they are not made in the US, but his company is in the US. For me it made the most sense since my motorcycles are my main mode of transportation and I needed a fairly durable case. I was constantly worried about straps breaking while riding or what would happen to my cues if I had a get off (thankfully that hasn't happend). The thing is practically bullet proof, and I feel my cues are better protected in that case than in any other.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cases

My buddy and I had a discussion about what is the best case for the money. It's hands down a JB rugged. I have owned them all. Nothing beats it. I do also like Whitten cases.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a light soft hard case which is great for travelling ,
Mezz 4×6 .

For hard case and superb protection , jb rugged.

These 2 have the best value, pick ur poison.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
By roughly reading through your post.

I can tell you like light cases & not wanting to spend too much on premium cases like Justis or Whitten.

I can't stand carrying heavy case, in that case. Murnak, Dennis Swift, Instroke, are out.

Justis, Whitten, JB Butterfly are light. But Justis and Whitten are at least over $500.

I would suggest you get a JB Butterfly Rugged Style in 2x4 or 3x6 or even 4x8 with the basic configurations. They should cost around $200-320. And you can choose your own color. They are light, offers imo better protection than the Predator/Poison soft case.

Or u can also try Castillo Butterfly, though I've not seen them in person, not sure about weight and protection level.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'd recommend JB Cases hands down. I own 8 of them. They have the best protection(ultra pad) in all their cases including the butterflies. They are also fully customizable. You can not only choose & alternate every color & stitching or design, but you can choose or design any size pockets you want. They are also very light & you can get backpack straps to ease the load & distribute the weight of the case on both shoulders.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
If you're a no nonsense get to the game and get it done player looking for performance in a case as your number 1 priority like it seems you may be from going through all those cases in such a short time, a JB rugged is the best choice imo... Handles all situations without having to be "baby'd" with no compromise protection and can be custmized to your liking. All for cheaper than any other comparable case for the money which I dont believe there are any.