Playing on Dark Blue Cloth---Interesting experience

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Friend on mine called me yesterday that bought a new house and a new Gold Crown. When I got over there the cloth was dark blue which
was something totally new to me. The interesting thing about it was that in many ways it allowed you to worry less if that makes sense. You had to call
on your instincts and depth perception more and ultimately it really was a great experience. I would have never thought I'd enjoy playing on dark cloth so much.
Anyone have simiar experiences?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoy, absolutely not. The lodge were I live has two nine foot tables that the interior designer had dark navy blue cloth with underpowered table lights. The guys with no tables like it. Those of us with good tables, lights and cheap beer play home.

When your seventy good lights and bright cloth makes life easier.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
table on my back porch

I put a bar table on my open back patio, just a roof over it. If I am in the mood I play until I can no longer see stripes, solids, or numbers. I sometimes have to mark a spot with my other hand and bring a ball up very close to my face in the best reflected moon light to see what it was. I often couldn't see if I made a ball, it rattling in the ball return system told the story.

Strange thing, like you note with dark cloth, skill level stays pretty high. I probably play eighty percent of normal, maybe better, with just a little gleam to tell where a ball is at. Sometimes one is in shadow and I can't see it at all. Walk around the table, feel where it is at, mark it in my mind. That gets a little tricky!

I think playing in the dark and playing on dark cloth will both get old. My table came with medium or a bit darker green cloth on it. Definitely a fan of fairly light blue now, best for old eyes. As soon as I make some decisions on cushions and pocket size the table will be recovered in a fairly light shade of blue.

Something different is fine for once in awhile, I want something I can see to play pool on most of the time. Some halls I know of have experimented with all kinds of colors, it didn't work for them. Green or blue. I think camel may play OK but I think shows dirt and stains too readily.

Hu

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friend on mine called me yesterday that bought a new house and a new Gold Crown. When I got over there the cloth was dark blue which
was something totally new to me. The interesting thing about it was that in many ways it allowed you to worry less if that makes sense. You had to call
on your instincts and depth perception more and ultimately it really was a great experience. I would have never thought I'd enjoy playing on dark cloth so much.

Going from your description, I'm gonna go out on a limb
and say you played well that session.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Going from your description, I'm gonna go out on a limb
and say you played well that session.

Yes and it had been at least 6 weeks since I last played. Even made some good banks and a few full table draw shots.
Could be I needed a break but who woulda thought 6 weeks for a break.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and it had been at least 6 weeks since I last played. Even made some good banks and a few full table draw shots.
Could be I needed a break but who woulda thought 6 weeks for a break.

Hahaha.
I always remember the good sessions too
although some tournament losses still keep me awake.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you mean enjoying playing on something that you first though would suck, then yea LOL My son and I played at an outdoor pool table that was at a mini golf place that used astroturf for the cloth and had naked rubber rails. We won't get into the condition of the balls. Funny thing we had our cues in the car so were using cues probably worth 5 times what the table cost LOL

Had a blast playing on it, the rails actually reacted well enough to play position, and draw and follow worked well enough, as decent as some bar tables with mud balls if not better than many of them. The lady working there let us stay well past the time we paid for, she basically said just keep playing till someone else wants to use it, we both were having a great time there.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If you mean enjoying playing on something that you first though would suck, then yea LOL My son and I played at an outdoor pool table that was at a mini golf place that used astroturf for the cloth and had naked rubber rails. We won't get into the condition of the balls. Funny thing we had our cues in the car so were using cues probably worth 5 times what the table cost LOL

Had a blast playing on it, the rails actually reacted well enough to play position, and draw and follow worked well enough, as decent as some bar tables with mud balls if not better than many of them. The lady working there let us stay well past the time we paid for, she basically said just keep playing till someone else wants to use it, we both were having a great time there.

I've always wanted an outside table in the woods around my house. I just think it would be so cool to play outside under trees. Would have to cover it with a tarp but Pool outdoors..cool.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The burn marks and break tracks will look terrible on dark cloth in a very short time.