Tyler Styer vs Jesus Stencil getting the 9 in 10 ball Race tom100 starts now

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Facebook comments a couple of people mention a shark move pulled by Jesus in what I assume was the last set? Did I miss something?

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shit I found it. When Tyler was up 72-71 Roy told him he can’t clean the cue ball anymore. Tyler said it’s because Jesus was using Predator chalk and it was getting all over the cue ball. Pretty shitty of Roy. Goes on for a few minutes. Tyler definitely stood up for himself and it gets a bit heated. The video is on the Facebook profile of a guy named Mike Molina.

Kdogster

Registered
Shit I found it. When Tyler was up 72-71 Roy told him he can’t clean the cue ball anymore. Tyler said it’s because Jesus was using Predator chalk and it was getting all over the cue ball. Pretty shitty of Roy. Goes on for a few minutes. Tyler definitely stood up for himself and it gets a bit heated. The video is on the Facebook profile of a guy named Mike Molina.
If I were Roy, he could solve this pretty easily.

Have players agree to use the same brand of chalk or have each player sign off on letting the other guy use a certain brand. Have players agree to a limit on the number of chalk cleaning requests per day. Make sure they clean the cue ball after every rack (seems like they did).

Other than the chalk issue, that was an entertaining match to watch. I only caught about 2-3 hours worth, so I hope he leaves the stream replay up for a while.

Scrunge19

Registered
I mean Jesus didn’t need the cue ball cleaned after every shot he took and was still able to win the match. So I don’t think it was as big of a deal as Tyler was making it out to be. Both players were playing with the exact same conditions.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I mean Jesus didn’t need the cue ball cleaned after every shot he took and was still able to win the match. So I don’t think it was as big of a deal as Tyler was making it out to be. Both players were playing with the exact same conditions.

When Earl ran the ten pack at CJ's in Dallas (then one more), he wiped and cleaned the balls after each break.

In the US Open 9 ball event, a player is allowed to ask the ref to clean the cue ball during play. If your game is at a high level, these condition changes are very noticeable.

Watching an on line Efren Match with a local Pinoy in the Philippines. I noticed Efren intentionally using an Excessive amount of talc to change play conditions.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...

Watching an on line Efren Match with a local Pinoy in the Philippines. I noticed Efren intentionally using an Excessive amount of talc to change play conditions.

That's what the do in the Philippines. They all use enough powder to make the whole table white. It is what it is.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the players couldn't wipe it down themselves before each game? Hunter couldn't sit in the booth and pump his promoters.

Overall very good match. Tyler has a lot of gamble in him. He just lost all focus late on the 2nd and threw away too many games on day 2.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
That's what the do in the Philippines. They all use enough powder to make the whole table white. It is what it is.

I'm well aware, Boston Shorty used to due a similar maneuver, cept he put talc all over his entire cue stick so the entire top rail was also slick. I've watched many Efren matches from over the pond, he does not do this with each and every match that I've witnessed. It looked like he was making pancakes :p with the amount i saw in this one match. LOL

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One of the few things that annoys me as much as the use of enough white powder to make an 80s lawyer happy is putting chalk on the table top side down. They are both inexcusable for good players that should know better, or even beginners that read a how to book on pool. Even giving the player annoyed glaring looks as you clean the table from their crap does not often work.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the few things that annoys me as much as the use of enough white powder to make an 80s lawyer happy is putting chalk on the table top side down. They are both inexcusable for good players that should know better, or even beginners that read a how to book on pool. Even giving the player annoyed glaring looks as you clean the table from their crap does not often work.

Playing buddy of mine from the Philippines does just that. I asked why and he said of it, "That's how you use."

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a practice in the Philippines to supposedly keep moisture out the chalk.
And watching the videos of matches in the Philippines, players commonly shark each other. Studying to see if a player is hooked, before allowing the opponent to get in line for the shot; standing and waving in the line of the shot; picking up chalk or talc while the opponent is shooting; talking while the opponent is shooting; etc.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That wasn’t Roy. It was Carlos who was a backer for Jesus. It was also Kamui chalk and not predator.

I see both sides. Tyler just started doing it, marking the cue ball and picking it up without acknowledging Jesus or asking. Apparently Jesus thought Tyler didn’t place it back correctly one time and finally said something and asked Carlos to intervene I guess due to translation. Kamui chalk is terrible imo and does leave a mess on the cue ball and Tyler should be able to get it cleaned whenever he wants, but both players should be comfortable with the person who’s marking the spot and respotting the cue ball. Apparently Jesus wasn’t with Tyler doing it which is understandable.

They worked it out and had Hunter clean it whenever either player wanted. A lot of people are saying it was a shark move by Jesus and I just dont see that. Seems that way cause it turned into an argument but really it wasn’t a big deal and shouldn’t have been a big issue but got blown up and got heated due to Carlos being the one doing the talking and not Jesus imo.

Great match. One of the few races to 100 that was exciting till the end.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
Its like a bunch of kids with cans with strings in here :speechless:

The players agreed on the rules before the match, Tyler had very particular rules about cleaning the table and balls at every break during the match ( which changes the play of the table ), but all agreed.

During day 1 while Tyler was dominating he was only cleaning the cue ball after each game which no one had a problem with.

During day 2 while Tyler was melting down he started picking up the cue ball and cleaning it in the middle of a few games, something was said but it went no farther than that.

During day 3 Tyler was picking up the cue ball during most games to clean it, he wasn't even acknowledging Jesus to ask and was just taking it upon himself to sheriff the table, and finally Jesus and Carlos had enough. Words were exchanged in a non aggressive manner but they did not want him touching the cue ball for any reason from that point forward.

How any dolt can associate this as a move is bound me, other than sparking up Tyler's OCD, he brought the entire situation upon himself.

This wasn't the World 10 championships or the DDC finals, you have to play on equipment that gets dirty, what I watched in this match was a very very talented kid with little to no real poolhall experience, if pattern racking and perfectly clean everything is the only way you can play your A game then you probably aren't going to get there either way.

OH THE CHALK!

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm well aware, Boston Shorty used to due a similar maneuver, cept he put talc all over his entire cue stick so the entire top rail was also slick. I've watched many Efren matches from over the pond, he does not do this with each and every match that I've witnessed. It looked like he was making pancakes :p with the amount i saw in this one match. LOL

I've seen Jeremy Jones pull that move on Cliff Joyner in a Houston bar table tournament. JJ was talking about how much all that hand talc bugs Cliff right next to me while I was sweating the match. Cliff didn't say a word...just grabbed a towel and wiped down the rails and balls between games.

All that said, I don't think Jesus was sharking Tyler with his cue chalk...or by protesting the fact that Tyler was picking up the cueball in the middle of a game to clean it. I'd guess Tyler sharked himself his own slow play. It was unbearable.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't watch the entire match, but it seemed that the "argument" was too well timed to be a coincidence. Poor form IMO. Good on Tyler for standing his ground.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well...watching Tyler playing it looks like pool is the hardest billiard game...too much this and that...in a long race with this style of playing your stamina should fit.
One of the most important things ...as for the audience ...especially a younger generation there is not so much fun watching such game (imo). I respect him working hard and so on ...and I know "it's easy to be preachy when you're merely an onlooker".
As for Jesus ...I liked his rhytm way better and he deserved the win.

Very good analysis here. Tyler had no rhythm to his game and looked tight and stiff on many shots. He was not comfortable and looked uncertain at times. Meanwhile the kid just let if flow and played a nice simple style. Not to much fuss or strain when he's at the table. He was loose as a goose and played like a veteran money player.

All that said, if they played even Tyler might beat him. I think the weight really showed up here, both mentally and physically. Tyler might feel a lot more comfortable playing even and not giving any weight. His confidence might come back to him. something sorely lacking here.

By the way all the ballyhoo about Tyler's strong break didn't prove prophetic. He did break hard but his break was not as effective as Jesus', whose controlled break brought him more open racks to shoot at. It's one thing to break hard and it's still another to have a shot after the break, as well as control the cue ball.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a practice in the Philippines to supposedly keep moisture out the chalk.
And watching the videos of matches in the Philippines, players commonly shark each other. Studying to see if a player is hooked, before allowing the opponent to get in line for the shot; standing and waving in the line of the shot; picking up chalk or talc while the opponent is shooting; talking while the opponent is shooting; etc.

That's one reason they are shark proof when they get here. :thumbup: