What Tournament that no longer exists do you miss???????

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
Lexington All-Stars

Worst hotel in the history of man. Great tournament.

Grand ball room in continental Inn.most every body smoked and smoke did not leave the place and literally there were clouds of tobacco smoke.Lot of audience members were drunk and rowdy.I think it was the same year when Shanon daulton won the one pocket tournament beating all the who is who in one pocket including late `Buggs`.It was `No saint`Billy that was doing the line on players.:cool:

Last edited:

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
West Coast Swing

Back in the late 80's early 90's there would would be a number of tournaments one after another on the west coast. First was Reno, then Hard Times, followed by the Bicycle Club, and usually some event in Vegas would be somewhere in between all those. This used to happen twice a year, ( June and December) so back then most of the players in Ca, didn't have much reason to ever leave the west coast. Times have really changed.

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournaments I really miss are:

The Reds tournament in Houston;
Wagon Wheel tournaments in Atlanta;

and..... (don't scold me for this....) IPT tournaments!

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
Lexington All-Stars and the Glass City Open.

Lexington was my first pro tournament. It was bar table 9 ball. Never forget it. Won my first sweat bet on a pro match there. Archer versus Medina. Medina don't 8. I bet Archer and he got there. Around '91 or '92.

If I am not mistaken the man who was making the line at that event may have been our very own Mr. Incardona. What a way to get your feet wet.:D

Few years later at that event I saw two kids running around playing lights out. They were named Corey and Alex. Alex was playing Nick Varner in a match and noticed a hair on the cue ball. He showed it to Nick and says " It's gray so it must be yours" :D :D

Worst hotel in the history of man. Great tournament.
I have a tape from the finals of the Lexington All Stars where Earl destroys Dave Bollman.It was a no contest.Believe it was 1990?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I miss the original Hard Times tournaments of the late 80's and early 90's. Everyone was there and the place was packed 24/7. Great fields with memorable final matches. I wish we had taped them.

The first Bicycle Club Invitationals were also premier pool events, with super strong fields and standing room only crowds.

And yes, I am proud of my two big L.A. Opens. I think we were the first to create two separate arenas with four tables in each. We got crowds of over 1,500 people on the weekend as well. And were featured on all the local TV stations and major newspapers. You can thank Don Maggot (Ernie first called him that) and friends for bringing an abrupt end to that event.

He convinced the players to boycott the second year and that was it for me. Almost all of them stayed away, and Mark Tadd grabbed 26K, much to the regret of players like Varner, Rempe, Earl, Sigel, Johnny, CJ and Buddy who missed out on some serious cash. Those who played and scored big like Billy Incardona, Roger Griffiths and Steve Cook didn't seem to mind though.

chamillionare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ipt north american open

best venue i ever been to, great table conditions, best format ie round robin, best money, best city las vegas plenty of entertainment what more could you want from a tournament and all the best players in the world

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all of these great tournaments gone, whats left for American pool players? I'll guess that will be another thread.

Tournaments missed:

Akron Open, Ohio State Open, Shamrock Shootout (at Starchers), Cleveland 10 ball Open, Cleveland 14.1 and the Glass City Open in Toledo. I really miss the mid 80's to early 90's there were so many tournaments around the country for the professional pool player.

I definitly give thanks for the Viking tour and Joss tour!

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
From what I remember, they stopped Johnny at 200 exactly... I think he could have ran balls all night if they would have let him!

Just curious, Dave, do you know what Johnny's high run is? Sad if it's 200.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
randyg said:
The Huebler Cup Events.

The South Padre Island 9-Ball Championships.

I surely do miss the South Padre Tournament. The last one was the most fun I'd had in many years. It also made realize just how old I was getting.

Any chance of firing this up again Randy?

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Just curious, Dave, do you know what Johnny's high run is? Sad if it's 200.

$Bill
I believe that it is exactly 200. Next time I talk to him I will make sure. Like I said earlier in this thread, they stopped him at 200 - but he could have gone on much longer. Johnny is a great champion caliber player at all games.

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Tournament I miss the most

Johnston City. Without a doubt. I was there in 67, 68,
69, 70 and 71. I was at Ft. Polk, La. with Jay Helfert and we were being seperated from the U.S.Army and Jay told me, " Man, you got to go to Johnston City" And told me about all the players and the action. His eyes were getting sorta glassy just telling me about it. Jay went straight there and I went home to Columbus< Oh. for 3 days, then to Johnston City. It was the 'Woodstock' of pool. I have so many great, great memories and stories about my times there. To this day, I sometimes find myself day dreaming about it. Johnny Ervalino told me once that he would give up 5 years of his life to just to get to do Johnston City once again. I'm not sure I would go that far, but it was the best IMHO.

Race2-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournaments I miss

JOB tournaments in Nashville, Tenn. (when he used to have those week long events)....JOB treats everyone well. I miss the Camel Pro events.....some of the best run events even though some of the venues weren't all that great.

MikeJanis

Banned
Last edited:

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I miss the old Jansco brothers Stardust tournaments from the late 60's, early 70's, the Derby City Classic is even better. When you consider all the qualities of a great pool tournament: top players, affordability, great equipment, topnotch tournament director, plenty of 24/7 side action, great mixture of games, accessability to matches and players, the DCC has got to be the best tournament ever IMHO.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
ironman said:
I surely do miss the South Padre Tournament. The last one was the most fun I'd had in many years. It also made realize just how old I was getting.

Any chance of firing this up again Randy?

Nope. Keep getting older my friend....SPF=randyg

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
I miss this one too. I think Harrison just ran out of enrgy with it. To his credit, the man sure tried hard and was a great host. A beautiful pool room.

I'm gonna call Harrison tomorrow and see if I can fire him up again.

Thank you! I hope you can get him interested, it was the only tournament I made sure to play in if possible.

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The round robin WORLD TOURAMENT where the best player wins because he must play every champion in the tournament and the best win lost record wins. The last one was played in 1974.
RAY MARTIN