The Tony Chohan ABR interview

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I didn't have the time to listen for over an hour to see what direction that Tony Chohan thought Pool was going. Did anyone listen to the whole thing?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I didn't have the time to listen for over an hour to see what direction that Tony Chohan thought Pool was going. Did anyone listen to the whole thing?

Do you have a link to it? Would like to listen as well.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did. He thinks amateur pool players should help fund a pro tour. I’m paraphrasing here, but the APA should take a hit on their profits to add to the pro game. I’ve heard that suggested before by a pro, but I personally completely disagree.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't have the attention Span for that interview. But I will ask him for the Cliff Notes version when I see him Saturday. He's the house pro where I play and he's running a tournament here this weekend.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I did. He thinks amateur pool players should help fund a pro tour. I’m paraphrasing here, but the APA should take a hit on their profits to add to the pro game. I’ve heard that suggested before by a pro, but I personally completely disagree.

I agree with you. I see it as situation where the players need to offer
themselves as a product or be a product of someones making to either attract
endorsements or work towards an end where they are self supporting.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah he said that before, 50 cents per player per week to be added to a tour; which I think wouldn't be bad. In return it could help have more pros connected with armature to learn the game and play better. In return this could even help expand amateur league, if done right might be a good idea after all win win.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Yeah he said that before, 50 cents per player per week to be added to a tour; which I think wouldn't be bad. In return it could help have more pros connected with armature to learn the game and play better. In return this could even help expand amateur league, if done right might be a good idea after all win win.

I think Mark Griffin polled his players and they didn't like the idea. A lot of pool
leaguer don't practice and don't care what pro pool does and probably wouldn't attend
pro tournament to watch if it were free.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The only way this would work is if the Pro gives back in some way. Maybe in the form of some type of instruction at the events? I just don't see this business model taking off.

A Pro tour needs to have major sponsors to give it a good financial backing. It would also need some set in stone rules and tournaments. In order to be like golf or tennis, it needs venues to get established. It also needs to have players with integrity and good morals.
At this point, nobody wants to throw away their money on a bunch of hoods that would sell their mother's soul to win the cash.....just sayin.
In order for pool to become a respected sport, the players need to start acting respectable. This would be a good starting point.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way this would work is if the Pro gives back in some way. Maybe in the form of some type of instruction at the events? I just don't see this business model taking off.

A Pro tour needs to have major sponsors to give it a good financial backing. It would also need some set in stone rules and tournaments. In order to be like golf or tennis, it needs venues to get established. It also needs to have players with integrity and good morals.
At this point, nobody wants to throw away their money on a bunch of hoods that would sell their mother's soul to win the cash.....just sayin.
In order for pool to become a respected sport, the players need to start acting respectable. This would be a good starting point.

I agree.

Would the Pro's help the league players? I think not. Most APA players couldn't name 5 top pros.

Ken

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. I see it as situation where the players need to offer
themselves as a product or be a product of someones making to either attract
endorsements or work towards an end where they are self supporting.

Heck, I wouldn't mind paying an extra buck a match to support a pro tour. But I agree also that the pro players would need to put back into the APA and amateurs in some way...guest appearances, exhibitions, expos, etc.

Heck, then I would secure an apparel contract, nike, addidas, under armor, etc that each touring pro must wear.

then a table, cloth, ball, and rack exclusive contract

then an exclusive streaming rights contract, CSI or someone similar, or maybe just partner with matchroom for their slick production.

then set up a system where local amateur apa members could earn free play nights by racking at the pro tourneys

APA could be pools version of the nfl!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
All great ideas. A lot of people wouldn't mind putting in if something came
back that is true. I just wonder what the percentage of I don't wannas would be?

Heck, I wouldn't mind paying an extra buck a match to support a pro tour. But I agree also that the pro players would need to put back into the APA and amateurs in some way...guest appearances, exhibitions, expos, etc.

Heck, then I would secure an apparel contract, nike, addidas, under armor, etc that each touring pro must wear.

then a table, cloth, ball, and rack exclusive contract

then an exclusive streaming rights contract, CSI or someone similar, or maybe just partner with matchroom for their slick production.

then set up a system where local amateur apa members could earn free play nights by racking at the pro tourneys

APA could be pools version of the nfl!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
All great ideas. A lot of people wouldn't mind putting in if something came
back that is true. I just wonder what the percentage of I don't wannas would be?

High. League players dont care about pro pool, all you have to do is go to the expo and see how many watch the pros unless it's free and they're looking for a place to sit
Jason

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High. League players dont care about pro pool, all you have to do is go to the expo and see how many watch the pros unless it's free and they're looking for a place to sit
Jason

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but maybe if they knew they were helping support/ finance a pro tour, they would be a bit more interested....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but maybe if they knew they were helping support/ finance a pro tour, they would be a bit more interested....

I would quit. My thinking would be, why are they getting my/our money? I mean, I get robbed by the govt all week while I work, why am I getting robbed to support somebody else on my fun time?

The other side to this, is that somebody like Fargo Rate could start their own league where Pro and Am play together at a certain # of events per yr, along with the pros having to do clinics, training vids, etc.
Jason

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you like to win thousands of dollars, playing as an Amateur in a Pool Tournament, with your peers? Would you play in that kind of tournament..? Would you travel...?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He suggested the APA finance the tour with a percentage of their winnings. If I played APA, I’d wonder why they’d donate that money to the pros instead of to an APA tournament. Wouldn’t that interest the players more? I mean, if the brass in APA headquarters would be willing to give up some of their profits, why not pay it back to the source?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps as a good faith effort, pros could set aside half their winnings to fund the administrative needs required to look into the likelihood of an apa-funded tour.

Gonna need phones, paper, pens, computers, phones, prob a lawyer and tax preparer too. And people. They gotta get paid too, ya know?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He suggested the APA finance the tour with a percentage of their winnings. If I played APA, I’d wonder why they’d donate that money to the pros instead of to an APA tournament. Wouldn’t that interest the players more? I mean, if the brass in APA headquarters would be willing to give up some of their profits, why not pay it back to the source?

It would make more sense if the leagues where like the ones in Europe where they are nation-wide and feed players with training, tournaments with the best going on to the pro level leagues and events. Much like Baseball little league, A, AA, AAA and MLB goes in the US.

With how leagues and billiards is organized (or not as the case may be), in the US, I don't see why leagues should donate money to the pros unless the pros also give back to leagues in return by way of lessons, local tournaments, charity events and exhibitions for league operators.

SVB is sponsored by USAPL, and while he was in the general area of Nationals a few weeks ago, I did not see or hear about him actually playing or doing lessons with league members.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most armatures at these events don't watch unless is free bc they don't know who they are, or even what game they are playing... Is true. That needs to change and more interaction from pros directly to players can do that. Social media is a big tool, look what Roy is doing with Facebook.

Nevertheless in person interaction is necessary. Players need to market themselves and the sport, by just talking to armatures. Some of them do if not most but on a local level. This should be done across the country.

Also kids are the future, get more involved with the kids. More programs in schools and interaction in the Billiards expo. It can happen!