Another Pool Hall Closing (Stixx Rancho Cucamonga)

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I just found out two days ago that my local pool hall is closing it’s doors and selling all assets. This is a moral blow to me. When I decided to start playing pool again after being away from the game for 20 years, Stixx was chosen room. I have since been playing the weekly tournaments and playing recreational along with money matches there. I can’t believe it’s closing. I was actually in talks to purchase the room as a business however the reason it is closing is due to COVID. The owner is roughly 7 months behind in rent leaving him in debt almost 6 figures and rising. Therefore the landlord has decided to file a lawsuit against the owner trying to collect.

This is a very, very sad time. This is the second room that has closed in the past 2 months. Stixx was a place where I saw and socialized with my fellow players. Only a few months ago Efren was there playing exhibition matches. Weekdays were packed with APA and ball bangers along with serious players (not saying APA is not serious). Weekends there was a line out the door waiting for a table.

This is a travesty!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I just found out two days ago that my local pool hall is closing it’s doors and selling all assets. This is a moral blow to me. When I decided to start playing pool again after being away from the game for 20 years, Stixx was chosen room. I have since been playing the weekly tournaments and playing recreational along with money matches there. I can’t believe it’s closing. I was actually in talks to purchase the room as a business however the reason it is closing is due to COVID. The owner is roughly 7 months behind in rent leaving him in debt almost 6 figures and rising. Therefore the landlord has decided to file a lawsuit against the owner trying to collect.

This is a very, very sad time. This is the second room that has closed in the past 2 months. Stixx was a place where I saw and socialized with my fellow players. Only a few months ago Efren was there playing exhibition matches. Weekdays were packed with APA and ball bangers along with serious players (not saying APA is not serious). Weekends there was a line out the door waiting for a table.

This is a travesty!
Most pool room owners don’t have deep enough $ pockets to survive numerous months with very slow or no business, even though they may do quite well under normal times. If you’re paying a near five figure $ monthly rent, it doesn’t take long to get in to major debt.

The only thing that has kept our room going is a well-established food operation which has now been largely take out orders, and that our property and building is bought and paid for - no monthly rent.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Chris,

Your room and one other that I know of (both successful) have food service with pool and no alcohol.
I've been doing research on this and from what I see that's the way of the future with an exception. It takes a lot of money to
install the necessary infrastructure to do traditional food service like you are doing. My hat is off to you for developing that end
of the business and being an example. Great job and Great Room! :smile:

Most pool room owners don’t have deep enough $ pockets to survive numerous months with very slow or no business, even though they may do quite well under normal times. If you’re paying a near five figure $ monthly rent, it doesn’t take long to get in to major debt.

The only thing that has kept our room going is a well-established food operation which has now been largely take out orders, and that our property and building is bought and paid for - no monthly rent.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Your room and one other that I know of (both successful) have food service with pool and no alcohol.
I've been doing research on this and from what I see that's the way of the future with an exception. It takes a lot of money to
install the necessary infrastructure to do traditional food service like you are doing. My hat is off to you for developing that end
of the business and being an example. Great job and Great Room! :smile:
NO rent is the key. I don't know how any California room, covid or no covid, makes it having to pay the rent there. Hate to see the place close but it is what it is.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
NO rent is the key. I don't know how any California room, covid or no covid, makes it having to pay the rent there. Hate to see the place close but it is what it is.

Your question is valid, and hard to figure out. Thank your Governor Californian's if you have no place to play Pool but an App on your cell phone.

Nancy Pelosi's little nephew, Gavin.:)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Sure you are right but people going into business expect to pay rent and in other parts of the country especially in the rural towns the rent is
very affordable in many of them. I have called many towns in NC, Ga and Virginia so far to verify this in my research.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure you are right but people going into business expect to pay rent and in other parts of the country especially in the rural towns the rent is
very affordable in many of them. I have called many towns in NC, Ga and Virginia so far to verify this in my research.

It’s not a rent issue, it’s a revenue issue. They were in business for many many years and admit that they’re closing because of Covid. That’s because they were unable to pay their rent while they were not open and not earning revenue due to the mandated, extended, forced closure.

Had they been allowed to open 3-4 months ago, like many rooms in other states, they’d be relatively fine by now. Our rooms are booming, and have been for over 3 months now.

Thank Governor Newsom…

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It’s not a rent issue, it’s a revenue issue. They were in business for many many years and admit that they’re closing because of Covid. That’s because they were unable to pay their rent while they were not open and not earning revenue due to the mandated, extended, forced closure.

Had they been allowed to open 3-4 months ago, like many rooms in other states, they’d be relatively fine by now. Our rooms are booming, and have been for over 3 months now.

Thank Governor Newsom…

You understand the dollars & cents of business operation. Sadly most people do not understand all the bills associated with having a business.

The list is long. Most people do not understand in most business's with employees, sometimes at month end the owner make little or nothing.

Most people who operate a small business, do it for profit, not just fun.

Just because a small business is busy, does not mean the owner is getting wealthy. How many business owners drive a New Car, or Pickup every years. Few in 2020.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the incentives landlords have to drive businesses out. I see it all around- places where businesses have left and sometimes nothing goes in for over a decade! I'm not exaggerating. There's was a restaurant in Santa Monica on Ocean Park and Centinela- I think it was a Coco's that left around 10 years ago and nothing has gone in since. A Coffee Bean on Pico on Lincoln and Pico closed up shop around 4 years ago and nothing has gone in since. How are the landlords benefiting from that? Why don't they cut somebody a break on the rent because obviously they aren't getting any rent on an abandoned building.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the incentives landlords have to drive businesses out. I see it all around- places where businesses have left and sometimes nothing goes in for over a decade! I'm not exaggerating. There's was a restaurant in Santa Monica on Ocean Park and Centinela- I think it was a Coco's that left around 10 years ago and nothing has gone in since. A Coffee Bean on Pico on Lincoln and Pico closed up shop around 4 years ago and nothing has gone in since. How are the landlords benefiting from that? Why don't they cut somebody a break on the rent because obviously they aren't getting any rent on an abandoned building.

That’s the part I don’t understand. Seems as though landlords are getting assistance also. Why take a business that has been paying you rent for years and years and kick them out because you are not willing to share in the loss yet by having an empty building means you are taking a loss regardless????

Makes no sense. Stixx has a full kitchen and beer and wine bar. All permanently installed. Nothing is ever permanent but I think you know what I mean. With the location Stixx has there are only a few things I can see going in that space.

1-Retail. Clothing or other. In which case the kitchen is pretty much useless.

2-Restaurant.

3-Club

Now who in this environment is opening any of those right now when things are closing left and right.

None of this makes sense. Why not bet on the business that will return strong once this is over?

I can buy ALL the assets for very cheap. I would have to store everything for who knows how long then either strike a deal with the landlord at that time or find another location. I can’t afford to store everything for 6 months and wait for this to blow over. Not in that position. However if you can do a little speakeasy till this blows over then it could work but the landlord would have to be capable of being cooperative and possibly forgiving past rent.

None of it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I feel sad for the owner and a friend of mine, Alex .
Spent many days in their homes .
We spent some times on the road with and without Efren.
The building owner is a d!ck.
Alex had a huge part of his lot rented for years .

He, the lot owner should eat the rent during shutdown months .
Since he has decided not to, now he has multiple doors vacant .
NOBODY IS GOING TO RENT THAT SPACE EVER.
Nobody is going to take over the pool hall .
There isn't going to any much business the next two years , AT LEAST.
And nobody is going to look for that kind of square footage.
He's just gonna meth heads live there .

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Because they are delusional and greedy aholes.

I knew two guys who had a computer store . They wanted to jack the rent on them. So, they told the owner if he did they'd move. They did . They left. Two years, nobody rented the space. Then a hooka lounge rented it. Then it closed. Years later, no renter.
IDIOTS. They can eat their rent.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Landlord doesn’t mean rich. It just means that they earn their income by renting property, that they may very well have to pay a mortgage on, to other people. If their lessors aren’t paying, they’re not able to pay their own bills...

Being a landlord is a business just like any other…

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Landlord doesn’t mean rich. It just means that they earn their income by renting property, that they may very well have to pay a mortgage on, to other people. If their lessors aren’t paying, they’re not able to pay their own bills...

Being a landlord is a business just like any other…

Yea but they need to take their losses just like everyone else. They are not thinking straight. This is where the city should step in and intervene for the better of everyone.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Future Is Bleak.......

The fairest thing is let the customer go rent deferred for 2020 and give back a 50% credit on the accrued rental balance.
This way the customer and the landlord share the burden and after 12 months, the landlord has given all they can afford.

At that point, they need to start getting paid rent at the full price which probably still becomes the kiss of death for parlors.
This virus is shattering life styles, careers, hopes of HS & college graduates & stealing the lives of friends and loved ones.

The number of pool rooms is going to shrink quickly & it was already shrinking so the outlook is bad for lots of cities & towns.
Some new rooms will open as a business opportunity but that won’t offset the loss that will surely be experienced nationwide.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
since the landlord is not getting any rent and likely will never get caught up from the pool room he has no choice but to sue and evict. if he sues there is a real chance he will win and get the money. and if he evicts he possibly can get another tenant or the poolroom may suddenly find some money or make a deal.
you cant let a tenant not pay anything for a long time. the landlord has bills that are high as well.

the mistake the pool room made was not breaking their lease before and then re negotiating. since the landlord cant provide a working building you can usually break the lease.

we dont know the whole story. why didnt the pool room stay open and serve food or take out.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fairest thing is let the customer go rent deferred for 2020 and give back a 50% credit on the accrued rental balance.
This way the customer and the landlord share the burden and after 12 months, the landlord has given all they can afford.

This virus is shattering life styles, careers, hopes of HS & college graduates & stealing the lives of friends and loved ones.

Fair? Fair is that those who entered into a business agreement are each required to live up to that agreement.

The “virus” isn’t shattering lifestyles. The ridiculous response to the virus is...

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair? Fair is that those who entered into a business agreement are each required to live up to that agreement.

The “virus” isn’t shattering lifestyles. The ridiculous response to the virus is...

When a state, county, city FORCE you to be closed against your will then what? Not as if you have a deadbeat tenant. He is being forced to keep his doors closed.

Boy is everyone going to be surprised at what happens next. Can you say a decade long depression? Not recession DEPRESSION making the Great Depression look like child’s play.