Most Amazing Thing You've Seen in Pool

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the most amazing thing I've seen would have to be the following: When: 3 years ago. Where: Pro Billiards, Orlando. Who: Louis Vierra, a top Orlando shortstop. The shot: using pool balls on a very tight 5x10 snooker table, place the cue ball ON TOP OF THE RAIL on the 2nd diamond (right behind the headstring) and make a spot shot. The bet: $100 per shot. The outcome: Louis got stuck 23 barrels ($2300), everyone's telling him to quit, he keeps firing, finally hits a gear, fights back to even, and the guy betting with him pulls up cause it looks like Louis is never going to miss again. An almost incomprehensible display of heart and talent. If you ever get a chance, try this shot on for size.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jnav447 said:
For me, the most amazing thing I've seen would have to be the following: When: 3 years ago. Where: Pro Billiards, Orlando. Who: Louis Vierra, a top Orlando shortstop. The shot: using pool balls on a very tight 5x10 snooker table, place the cue ball ON TOP OF THE RAIL on the 2nd diamond (right behind the headstring) and make a spot shot. The bet: $100 per shot. The outcome: Louis got stuck 23 barrels ($2300), everyone's telling him to quit, he keeps firing, finally hits a gear, fights back to even, and the guy betting with him pulls up cause it looks like Louis is never going to miss again. An almost incomprehensible display of heart and talent. If you ever get a chance, try this shot on for size.
I played Louis in Orlando quite a few years back. He does hit'em pretty sporty. That sounds pretty amazing, though. I didn't know that was his shot. I know a fellow that puts the object ball exactly in the middle of the rail, frozen. Then, he puts the cue ball exactly opposite on the other end rail, frozen. Then he puts a ball directly in the path. Then he takes two to one he will cut the ball in.... in either corner. You choose. Unreal.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky beating Nick Varner in the first World Summit of Pool. It was probably the greatest 'local guy beats touring pro' story I was ever witness to.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get out much, but not many could top watching Thorsten Holman run 174 last year at the 14.1 Worlds.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing Pool feats

A little biased as I did it, but ...

3 rails into an 8 ball rack. Lowest number of 3 rail shots to pocket the 8 ball ... my personal best and an unmatched feat, 3!

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. 9' table, 5 man ring game 9-ball, 100 a man, opponent made the 9 on the break 13 times in a row. (ouch)

2. 9ball- 8 balls on the break with an easy shot on the only ball that wouldn't fall- the 9.

3. Shot described by someone else- ball frozen to middle of short rail, cueball frozen to middle of opposite short rail, guy bet 50 a shot in the 80's on cutting it in the corner.

4. Ball in the middle of the table, cueball a few inches from the corner pocket, masse up the rail, cueball suddenly takes a 90 degree turn at the side pocket, hits the object ball and pockets it in the far side pocket. (Was the 8 ball playing 8-ball )

5. One more- I didn't see this one, but was told I would get 20,000 if I could make it on the 1st try. Cueball in the kitchen one ball off the rail , Object ball frozen to opposite short rail on same long-side of table at 2 1/2 diamonds from corner. Back cut object ball into pocket. When I was on the road I was offered this shot. Seems he was willing to lose 40k, was 20k stuck, when his opponent made this shot. He quit him for showing off and offered the other 20k to anybody who could make it on the first attempt. I tried 5 yrs after he first started offering it. (I did mangage to hit the end rail, but that was all I hit)

Last edited:

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having a hard time putting a finger on the most amazing thing I've personally seen, but this thread brings to mind a shot I've heard about, and I think if I saw it executed it would become my new "most amazing thing I've ever seen in pool".

CueTable Help

I know what you're thinking, "yeah, yeah it's just a simple little 3-rail draw shot...", lol, but I heard that a few guys were able to execute it one-handed :eek:

Has anyone here seen somebody shoot this shot one-handed, because I would think that would qualify as pretty friggin amazing?

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
1. 9' table, 5 man ring game 9-ball, 100 a man, opponent made the 9 on the break 13 times in a row. (ouch)

2. 9ball- 8 balls on the break with an easy shot on the only ball that wouldn't fall- the 9.

3. Shot described by someone else- ball frozen to middle of short rail, cueball frozen to middle of opposite short rail, guy bet 50 a shot in the 80's on cutting it in the corner.

4. Ball in the middle of the table, cueball a few inches from the corner pocket, masse up the rail, cueball suddenly takes a 90 degree turn at the side pocket, hits the object ball and pockets it in the far side pocket. (Was the 8 ball playing 8-ball )

5. One more- I didn't see this one, but was told I would get 20,000 if I could make it on the 1st try. Cueball in the kitchen one ball off the rail , Object ball frozen to opposite short rail on same long-side of table at 2 1/2 diamonds from corner. Back cut object ball into pocket. When I was on the road I was offered this shot. Seems he was willing to lose 40k, was 20k stuck, when his opponent made this shot. He quit him for showing off and offered the other 20k to anybody who could make it on the first attempt. I tried 5 yrs after he first started offering it. (I did mangage to hit the end rail, but that was all I hit)
13 9-ball breaks in a row huh?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
A few years ago before I really got into pool, I was playing with some friends at a bar on a pretty bad barbox. I was trapped and needed to kick two rails (short rail, then long) to hit a hanger in the far corner pocket. not really knowing anything, I blasted the kick shot, it hit the first rail and left the table about an inch, then hit the second rail and and flew through the air. Popped up and all the way over the Budwiser light above the table, hit the table and knocked in the object ball.

If someone told me this story, there is no way I would believe it. But it really did happen and I dont think it could happen again in a million tries. But it was truely the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a table.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
13 9-ball breaks in a row huh?
I know it stretches the imagination, but it did happen, and I had to pay for it happening. Two of us complained about the racks, but got outvoted. Ended up even in the game and quit.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Amazing Thing I've Seen In Pool

Keith McCready was playing Jay "Swanee" Swanson a race to 7 in a tournament on 9' tight pocket Rebco tables at the Sports Arena in Anaheim Hills, CA. Jay had Keith 6-1 and broke but didn't make anything on the break. Keith jumped up out of his chair and announced to a crowd of about 75 people that that just cost Swanee the set. After saying that Keith ran 6 and out to win 7-6.

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the great "Bugs" Rucker bank 8 and out, to come from 0-7 down, on a 5' x 10', to beat a human slug named Mexican Johnny, then the best in town. Might not compare to a few of the stories here, but not bad at all. Freddy was there too. GF

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
I know it stretches the imagination, but it did happen, and I had to pay for it happening. Two of us complained about the racks, but got outvoted. Ended up even in the game and quit.
I am not calling you a liar by any means - just trying to wrap my mind around it. I sure hope thay guy went to buy a lottery ticket when you were done.

BVal

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually...

crawfish said:
I played Louis in Orlando quite a few years back. He does hit'em pretty sporty. That sounds pretty amazing, though. I didn't know that was his shot. I know a fellow that puts the object ball exactly in the middle of the rail, frozen. Then, he puts the cue ball exactly opposite on the other end rail, frozen. Then he puts a ball directly in the path. Then he takes two to one he will cut the ball in.... in either corner. You choose. Unreal.

this shot is not as difficult as it may seem if you practice it. I have made that shot several times in about 4-5 tries each time. With a little practice this shot could be made every time. When you put the required english on the cueball to accelerate the object ball to the pocket the cue ball deflects around the ball placed in the cue ball path to cut the object ball in.

Gary

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
That I have ever seen...tough choices
1) Pagulayan running 11 and out/12 and out/11 and out/13 and out at the dcc playing 11-7 or 11-6 against that lawyer from Seattle. One game he had already back scratched and then he kicked from the jaws of his hole two rails into the stack and made a ball and ran 12 and out.
2) Efren's performance in the 2006 One pocket DCC finals.
3) 6 nineballs in a row by a banger to beat a road player in gainesville racing to 7 for 100. the road player gave him slug racks the last 3 times and he still made the 9.

Most amazing thing that has ever happened to me personally in pool:
Playing Jeremy Jones in Chicago in 1992 for the last $200 in my pocket. I got pickpocketed earlier in the day and borrowed some cash off of Tommy Kennedy and then managed to parlay it to 200 before I stupidly asked Double J to play a 200 set. I was losing 8-0 and beat him 9-8. True story. They closed the ournament room to clean the tables after that set (we finished at 6am) so I didnt have to deal with him asking to play again.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not a great shot but something cool,

it a pool room there were 4 Gandy 9' boxes lined up end to end. some banger broke the balls the CB went flying off the table he was on and bonuced off the table in front of him bounced again and then landed on the 3rd table infront of him. so the CB was on 3 tables end to end before it came to rest on the 3rd table, it flew about 25 feet total.