Decent everyday home use Cue under $100?

hotwls13

Registered
OK I know you guys keep getting these questions from newbs like me, but here goes.

I am picking up pool again after a 10 year layoff. My New 8' Olhausen will be delivered in a couple weeks (waiting on cloth). I used to be an OK player (played in some local tournaments), but I'm sure I suck right now. I used to play with my Dad's $500 Adams, but he has since re-claimed it.

Not looking for anything fancy (though I don't like the looks of the sneaky petes). Just something to shoot with for an hour or two a day at my house. After extending my budget for the Olhausen, my cue budget is almost nothing.

I am looking at the following:

Players pool cue stick Players G-2253 With Case [playersg2253] $90.00
Star pool cue stick Star AUTHORITY ST7K With Case [starst7k] $103.96
Fury pool cue stick Fury DL-12 With Case [furydl12] $92.00
ST7P - McDermott's Star "Lightning" Cue NO CASE $80

I am leaning towards the Star line since they come with the McDermott warranty (is a warranty needed?).

Any other places to look? Any other brands I am missing? Should I just get a $40 Rage?

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i say go with the mcdermott or the players. hey both good hitting cues for the price range. or if you can find yourself a precutec excalibur, those where pretty decent too for the lower end.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Me Too!

selftaut said:
I play with a $100 Dominiak , model 1020, very nice cue with a great hit, Bill Dominiak makes the best cue in that price range in my opinion www.dominiakcues.com .

I have one also, Curly Maple, nice Irish Linen wrap, mahogany joint and butt cap. They go for $119 now. You can choose your weight and shaft diameter. Good deal.

hotwls13

Registered
poolcuemaster said:
I'll trade you something for a few nice vintage redlines.

Leonard

You had me confused for a minute. Not sure I have any "Vintage Redlines" left. If you are serious though, I can see what I have. Pretty much sold everything off 10 years ago, but the name stuck. :)

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I just caught the name and I have some to sell and the time is near, just sad that I moved my mom into my house 10 years ago after my dad died and threw away the round case full of 68 to 70's redlines thinking they were junk. I have got most of what I have now at yard sales.

Leonard

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
selftaut said:
I play with a $100 Dominiak , model 1020, very nice cue with a great hit, Bill Dominiak makes the best cue in that price range in my opinion www.dominiakcues.com .

I second that, but I went to the site to get the 1020 and ended up with a sweet 16. LOVE IT!!!!

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
asmith74 said:
I second that, but I went to the site to get the 1020 and ended up with a sweet 16. LOVE IT!!!!

I almost bought a Sweet 16 last month, but I went with Bill's ebony/tulipwood prototype instead- still not sure I made the right decision, but I like what I ended up with.;)

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
hotwls13 said:
OK I know you guys keep getting these questions from newbs like me, but here goes.

I am picking up pool again after a 10 year layoff. My New 8' Olhausen will be delivered in a couple weeks (waiting on cloth). I used to be an OK player (played in some local tournaments), but I'm sure I suck right now. I used to play with my Dad's $500 Adams, but he has since re-claimed it.

Not looking for anything fancy (though I don't like the looks of the sneaky petes). Just something to shoot with for an hour or two a day at my house. After extending my budget for the Olhausen, my cue budget is almost nothing.

I am looking at the following:

Players pool cue stick Players G-2253 With Case [playersg2253] $90.00
Star pool cue stick Star AUTHORITY ST7K With Case [starst7k] $103.96
Fury pool cue stick Fury DL-12 With Case [furydl12] $92.00
ST7P - McDermott's Star "Lightning" Cue NO CASE $80

I am leaning towards the Star line since they come with the McDermott warranty (is a warranty needed?).

Any other places to look? Any other brands I am missing? Should I just get a $40 Rage?

Fury MC37, MC38, MC39, MC43, or MC 48, priced at $76.00 each at Muellers Sporting Goods. Buy 3 and get them at $57.00 each. www.poolndarts.com

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
gobrian77 said:
I almost bought a Sweet 16 last month, but I went with Bill's ebony/tulipwood prototype instead- still not sure I made the right decision, but I like what I ended up with.;)

lol, If your happy it's all good. That is the whole point of what we do. After all It's not the arrow it's the Indian (or Native American). :D

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
I wil sell you either one of these for $100.
I have others for less also. Please PM if interested.

Attachments

• 4059 BUTT (Medium).jpg
    4059 BUTT (Medium).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 4059 FOREARM (Medium).jpg
    4059 FOREARM (Medium).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 8 pointer butt (Medium).jpg
    8 pointer butt (Medium).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 8 pointer forearm (Medium).jpg
    8 pointer forearm (Medium).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 167

Kito

Registered
I was in the same situation you are in. Really didn't want a sneaky pete either. I found a new McDermott M61-g (Velocity) on Ebay for $70. It doesn't have the linen wrap which I like. Nice stick for the price.

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
players sneaky petes go for like 65 dollars, and imo its the best cue for under 200 bucks.

whatever you do, stay away from graphite cues or cuetec cues.

student4ever

50 on the breaker...
Silver Member
IMO- save up and buy a nicer cue. Playing with a cheap cue that has a high deflection is just gonna further delay your learning and getting better. Also try Looking for a used predator..good luck with whatever yo do

havoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well?

student4ever said:
IMO- save up and buy a nicer cue. Playing with a cheap cue that has a high deflection is just gonna further delay your learning and getting better. Also try Looking for a used predator..good luck with whatever yo do

you could by an axiom or action cue.they scored pretty well on platinum billiards test.

hotwls13

Registered
havoc said:
you could by an axiom or action cue.they scored pretty well on platinum billiards test.

Where is this platinum billiards test you speak of? I searched platinumbilliards website, but I couldn't find any comparisons or tests.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is for home use and you just want something that plays well, just get a couple Dufferin house cues. They're really cheap, obviously one-piece but since you're not taking it anywhere it doesn't really matter. They play great so long as you keep the tip in good shape.

Seriously, I'm actually surprised nobody suggested it. Everybody knows a brand new Dufferin plays like some of the best cues on the market.