US Open/Matchroom.

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to quite a few in the audience 2017, who'd been coming for years. With the drop off in audience and the location not creating the feeling of the past great events in the 90's it was going no where fast. Getting this venue in early spring in Vegas is a Great time and place and it's warm. Nearly every major airport has direct flights in.

I can understand that as it was a very different feeling there the past 2 years. Barry WAS the Open, love him or hate him & it never will be the same without him although Pat did everything he could to keep it great. Personally, it was very hard being there for me & my family but I wish Matchroom all the luck in the world as I know they will put on a quality event. I'll also support Pat's event here as well.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It saddens me to see the U.S. Open going to Vegas although I'm happy at the same time because Barry Hearn's involvement will be good for pool in general. It just doesn't seem like it was handled the way it should've been as it appears that Pat was not made aware of any of the goings on & he should've been as he's been the one running it the last several years as Barry wanted.

I was very glad to see that Pat will be holding his own sanctioned event in it's place which I will definitely be supporting.

Just when and where will Pat's event be held, and what will be the format?

I hate to see the Open leave the East Coast, but just getting it on TV alone makes the switch worthwhile. No knock on Pat, who's deservedly a legend in his time, but it's just pathetic that the greatest event in pool has only been accessible on PPV for the last many years.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in the states, we have way more kids just itchin' to play compared with other parts of the world. It's in our DNA so tah speed, and there's roughly 5,000,000 pool tables in homes in the US. Our melting pot of great players is only 5-7 yr away with the Open. We'll be open for business, worldwide next year.

What's the chances of EVER seeing a Chinese player acting/playing/crushing the game like the Pearl can and did.

Which planet are you on?

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just when and where will Pat's event be held, and what will be the format?

I hate to see the Open leave the East Coast, but just getting it on TV alone makes the switch worthwhile. No knock on Pat, who's deservedly a legend in his time, but it's just pathetic that the greatest event in pool has only been accessible on PPV for the last many years.

The dates the Sheraton (same place the Open has been the last few years) were holding are Oct. 21-27, 2018 but I haven't seen any announcement yet about the format.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, it wasnt Qatari, it was Ian Anderson of WPA who gave dates 3 weeks prior to planned WPC 9b to Yen Makabenta to stage inaugural WPC10b. Which pissed off Barry because his sponsors lost interest in WPC9b being so close after WPC10b and Barry called it a day as far as WPC was concerned. And as long as Ian Anderson is in charge of WPA Barry wont touch WPC with 10 meters long pole. Yes, if Barry decides that he wants to take over world pool he can definitely do it, he will just ignore WPA structure so his WPC would be something like World Pro 9b championships. But I am not convinced that it is something he wants to do...

Ah cool, I remembered there was something that made him dump it!

He’s created (well strengthened) world tours for darts and snooker, both are far more global now...so you never know...he managed to throw out the old guard in snooker after all!

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can Matchroom put up 300k (even if that includes entry fees)? They pay a fraction of that in their MOsconit Cup.

From what I have heard, the Mosconi Cup prize fund is half of the planned US Open prize fund - $150,000 - with $20k per player on the winning side and $10k per player on the losing side.

Barry lives on in the name of a trophy. I think he would have loved that! I hope they engrave all past champions on the trophy, and not start the first engraving in 2019.

I can't double check just now but I am sure BH mentioned that all previous champions' names will be engraved on the new trophy. It is a lovely gesture that it carries Behrman name.

To those talking about Matchroom taking back the WPC any time soon, the organisers in Doha recently signed a new deal that means they have it until 2021. Let's hope, as others have said, that they see what Matchroom does with the Open and decide to pull their collective socks up to make the WPC a great tournament once again. I won't hold my breath on that, though.

As a non-American fan of American Pool who loves the US Open, I cannot wait for this. Heck, if the timing is right I may just have to visit Vegas for a few days to watch it!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in the states, we have way more kids just itchin' to play compared with other parts of the world. It's in our DNA so tah speed, and there's roughly 5,000,000 pool tables in homes in the US. Our melting pot of great players is only 5-7 yr away with the Open. We'll be open for business, worldwide next year.

What's the chances of EVER seeing a Chinese player acting/playing/crushing the game like the Pearl can and did. It's extremely difficult to make pool exciting to the general public, BUT Earl running the 10 pack "in the manner he did" for a million was over the moon. It's how American players play, like Jimmy Connors did in tennis, or Tiger in the PGA. Ten pack, way more difficult than any 147 in snooker. 9 ball is thee most aggressive pool game of all. The games of RA, Fats, McCready, Cole Dixon and the alike had personality, character and a way about em that was reality.
It's not in our today's kids DNA and one tournament a yr has got zero chance of changing that , and if they tune in they won't see American Idols as we have less than a handful of top players that can compete at a world top level ,,

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for those who don't want to soil yourselves with faceplant crap, here is the press release, which will probably be up on the front page of AZB shortly:

Matchroom Multi Sport can announce that it has acquired full ownership of the US Open 9 Ball Championship in a ground-breaking move that is part of a long-term goal to take the event into the sports mainstream.

Barry Behrman had started the event in 1976 and had grown it over the decades into one of the most anticipated events in world pool and it now enters its 43rd year. Behrman passed away April 2016. His children continued the event in 2016 and 2017. Matchroom Chairman, Barry Hearn, recently signed an agreement with Behrman’s children, the heirs and executors of the Behrman estate.

Commented Barry Hearn, “This is momentous news for pool and is going to be a major boost for the sport and the industry. We’re not here to mess about and everything we’ve done in the world of pool is to the highest standard, with the best money, the best players, best TV production and huge global TV coverage, including North American TV. That is what we’re bringing to the Open.”

Matchroom are looking to stage the next US Open in April 2019 at a major venue in Las Vegas which means that there will be no Open this year. The event would maintain it’s $1,000 entry fee although the long-term goal will be to reduce that figure down to zero. In addition, all living previous champions will be offered a spot with no entry fee applicable. The prize-fund would be set at a guaranteed $300,000, the biggest ever for the event.

Matchroom Sport have been promoting televised international pool since 1993 and their current catalogue consists of the World Pool Masters, the World Cup of Pool and the Mosconi Cup, the biggest pool tournament in the world. In addition, they also promoted the WPA World Pool Championship from 1999 to 2007.

Hearn continued, “I’m very excited about this. The US Open has got a magnificent history with 28 different winners down the years. Some of the greatest names in the modern era will have their names etched on the new Barry Behrman Trophy which will be presented each year to the champion, alongside the traditional Green Jacket.

“We will make this the pool tournament which will be a must-see for every pool fan in the USA and beyond and we hope to bring new people to the game. It’s a big job and a lot of hard work but that’s what Matchroom do and we will be turning the fantastic US Open into the daddy of all pool tournaments!” he added.

“We know this is the best move for not only the US Open that our father produced for 40 consecutive years, but for American and international pool as a whole. Our late father’s dream was always to elevate pool and he accomplished this in his own right.” said Brady & Shannon, Behrman’s children.

“We are excited to turn the reigns over to Barry Hearn and his dedicated team at Matchroom to truly elevate the event. We will see our father’s legacy live on. We are looking forward to seeing all of the incredible fans and players from around the world in Vegas,” they concluded.

The format will be double elimination on a multi-table set up down to the last eight on the winners and losers sides. The final stages will feature the last 16 players in straight knock out on a single table in a huge arena. All matches will be races to 11 with the exception of the final.

Stand by for more announcements on the Open over the coming weeks and months as the countdown to the future of tournament pool gets underway.

They had on Facebook today that the "major venue" mentioned in the original press release is Mandalay Bay.

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/mandalay-bay-to-stage-us-open-9-ball/

Looks like this was announced on the 19th.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Mandalay Bay where the first IPT event was when they had the “let’s get ready to rumble” guy announce?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know much about the history, but did Matchroom approach Barry Behrman while he was alive with an offer, and if so what happened?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know much about the history, but did Matchroom approach Barry Behrman while he was alive with an offer, and if so what happened?

I recall Barry H saying that Barry B had approached him about a partnership but that he wanted to retain too much control over the event for it to be a viable option for Matchroom.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Mandalay Bay where the first IPT event was when they had the “let’s get ready to rumble” guy announce?

Nah, the IPT event in Las Vegas was at the Venetian. But Michael Buffer was there with "Let's get ready to rack 'em!"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nah, the IPT event in Las Vegas was at the Venetian. But Michael Buffer was there with "Let's get ready to rack 'em!"

I believe the first IPT event (but not a tournament) was held to establish Mike Sigel as the "King of the Hill". From Wikipedia:

The first IPT event, the "World 8-Ball Championship" was held at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was an exhibition match between Mike Sigel and Loree Jon Jones in 2005. For their participation, Sigel (winner) won $150,000 and Jones (loser) won $75,000. The prize money drew attention due to the fact that these payouts for an exhibition match were bigger than winning prizes from major championships.[5]

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Not a know it all by any stretch. I know as little as the next guy. Just don't have much time for outlandish claims. Which "stat" are you referring to, by the way?

How many pool tables are currently in US homes nationwide.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the first IPT event (but not a tournament) was held to establish Mike Sigel as the "King of the Hill". From Wikipedia:

The first IPT event, the "World 8-Ball Championship" was held at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was an exhibition match between Mike Sigel and Loree Jon Jones in 2005. For their participation, Sigel (winner) won $150,000 and Jones (loser) won $75,000. The prize money drew attention due to the fact that these payouts for an exhibition match were bigger than winning prizes from major championships.[5]

Yeah, I kind of dismiss the Sigel/Jones exhibition and just think of the 3 real IPT tournaments, with Hohmann winning the only one in Vegas (at the Venetian).

[So iusedtoberich's memory was good if he was thinking about the exhibition.]