Tanks - Mini-Pocket Lathe System (Straightness Checker)

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
If you have not heard of the "Tanks". These are basically pocket lathes which you can carry around in your cue cases to check straightness of your cue.

Uses/Features:
1) Cue's Roll: Check straightness of the butt/shaft (Roll the shaft/butt alone and see if there are any wobble)
2) Joint Facing: If both cues are straight apart, but wobble when together then it must be the facing issue, I'll post a video link of how-to at the end of this post.
3) Photoshooting / Videos: You can put the butt on the tanks to take pics, or take videos to show condition of the cue, better ways of displaying.

Now you don't need to go to pool halls to check if the cue's straight, or trust your eyes (rifle hold). You can check it anywhere you want. :)

This package comes with:
- A set of tanks (Pocket Lathe)
- Sticker (Guide) - for you to get more precise look on the roll of the cue

I've also made a quick tutorial on how to fix the facing on youtube.

Here's the link:

PS: I would recommend you practice on house cues before attempting on your high end custom cues. And do not reface them when they are warped apart.

Price: US$60 (shipping not included)

Shipping/Handling Cost:

1. USPS First Class Intl. (5-12 weeks): $25
2. USPS Expedited Intl. (10-15 days): $42.50
3. UPS Express (5-8 days): $57.50

Colors that are currently available are: Black, Green, Blue, Red, Pink, Purple, Grey

Last edited:

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the youtube video, your fingers are obstructing the view of you facing it....

MikieG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like an awesome way to jack up a cue joint! These look like they are useful to buyers and sellers in the field though.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't mean to be harsh - and let me say this product does have some use to determine straightness.

However - it does NOT - ABSOLUTELY NOT fix warped cues.

It does aid in hand scraping a joint that needs to be re-faced -
if anybody thinks that's a good idea

Last edited:

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I don't mean to be harsh - and let me say this product does have some use.

However - it does NOT - ABSOLUTELY NOT fix warped cues.

It does aid in hand scraping a joint that needs to be re-faced -
if anybody thinks that's a good idea

Please read the details. It doesn't actually fixed warp cues but some cues are straight apart but warped together. Then u can use this tool to make them straight together again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Please read the details. It doesn't actually fixed warp cues but some cues are straight apart but warped together. Then u can use this tool to make them straight together again.

I've seen the video - again - this set up can improve a straight cue that needs to be
properly faced. To describe it as being able to "FIX WARPED" cues is misleading.

Dale

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
I've seen the video - again - this set up can improve a straight cue that needs to be
properly faced. To describe it as being able to "FIX WARPED" cues is misleading.

Dale

Sure Dale. Just re-face shaft or butt face. No use for warped shaft or butt.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Sure Dale. Just re-face shaft or butt face. No use for warped shaft or butt.

Yes butt-wise, I've always used the method Richard Black taught me. Hang the butt with a string vertically and tie/attach some weights below the butt and hang it for as long as you could that could help straighten "MOST" butts.

As for shafts, I think there's a thread about how to bend them or a tool for that. I think they works. Not sure haven't try them.

But when both are better, you can reface them to make it straighter together.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
If any dealers are interested in the tanks, we are looking for dealers worldwide. Let me know if you want to be an authorised dealer in your region.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I really like these Tim but I have two suggestions, What about making them with non slip rubber bottoms and also rubber over the rollers to further protect the cues finish.. I'd already have bought a set if they had these features..

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I really like these Tim but I have two suggestions, What about making them with non slip rubber bottoms and also rubber over the rollers to further protect the cues finish.. I'd already have bought a set if they had these features..

I've said the same thing a few times before, maybe even just nylon wheels rather than steel bearings. Also with just a few adjustments these could check a cue's straightness while at the pool hall more accurately than table rolling. It would be a helpful little gadget when buying/selling.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
137   0   0

I've said the same thing a few times before, maybe even just nylon wheels rather than steel bearings. Also with just a few adjustments these could check a cue's straightness while at the pool hall more accurately than table rolling. It would be a helpful little gadget when buying/selling.

I do sell them with nylon wheels too. But most buyers want them in SS (not sure why). I'm using mine with nylon wheels too. If you guys want em in nylon wheels, do let me know. ;)

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
63   0   1
Tanks

I think rubber on the rollers might affect the accuracy of spinning the cue. I think the rollers should remain as they are or nylon would probably be ok but even nylon absorbs moisture easily. You need those rollers to be dead accurate. Rubber on the base to prevent movement would be ok.