Can you wash cloth?

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
Can you wash (as in, with a bucket and brush, and some soap) the cloth on tables?
Our favorite table where we play was being washed by a staff member, and we were unable to play on it.
When we finally got to play on it, it looked bad - you could see where some of the spots had been scrubbed, they were a lighter color than the rest of the table, and there were a couple of water stains.
Is this commonly done?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you wash (as in, with a bucket and brush, and some soap) the cloth on tables?
Our favorite table where we play was being washed by a staff member, and we were unable to play on it.
When we finally got to play on it, it looked bad - you could see where some of the spots had been scrubbed, they were a lighter color than the rest of the table, and there were a couple of water stains.
Is this commonly done?
Nope. The table should be vacuumed regularly.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Is this commonly done?

Hot water shouldn't harm the cloth. Scrubbing with a brush I don't do. :shakehead:
Hot water will harm the table if the seams were filled with water putty.
Water desolves the water putty and dries like pebbles under the cloth.

I vacuum first, then use hot water and woolite on a rag for chalk dust.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months ago I had a leak in my garage and my table got wet ( I started a thread about it at the time).It dried fine and had no impact on playability. Left a little stain though

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Wet cloth equals loose cloth.... don't care who cleans it.

What do you have to say about this

Hot water will harm the table if the seams were filled with water putty.
Water desolves the water putty and dries like pebbles under the cloth.

My table was sealed with rock hard putty, I use a lightly damped microfiber cloth with warm water to wipe the table bi weekly

Could this be a factor into me having seam issues?
I have what may be the thinnest cloth there is, and it's not wool by the way, it's synthetic

realkingcobra

Silver Member

My table was sealed with rock hard putty, I use a lightly damped microfiber cloth with warm water to wipe the table bi weekly

I have what may be the thinnest cloth there is, and it's not wool by the way, it's synthetic

Unless you let the cloth get wet, i highly doubt it. By the fact that who ever set your seams using putty, I'dbe more inclined to point the finger at your installer as the problem in not doing the job right in the first place, i highly doubt the seams were superglued to hold them together either.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it is Durhams rock hard water putty, it will set up underwater. I used to use it years ago to repair rotted wood. Hard as hell once setup and just about impossible to sand. Similar to plaster in those respects, like plaster it gets warm as it cures.. Adhesion is very strong as well.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If it is Durhams rock hard water putty, it will set up underwater. I used to use it years ago to repair rotted wood. Hard as hell once setup and just about impossible to sand. Similar to plaster in those respects, like plaster it gets warm as it cures.. Adhesion is very strong as well.

But.... will still not hold the seams together if they'renot superglued first, and yes, in time if mixed wrong, will crumble in the thicker areas.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you let the cloth get wet, i highly doubt it. By the fact that who ever set your seams using putty, I'dbe more inclined to point the finger at your installer as the problem in not doing the job right in the first place, i highly doubt the seams were superglued to hold them together either.
I was told to use body filler on seams ??super glue new added plus ty
I bought some slight used 860 4x9 owner did not like color was told to wash at laundromat with woolite added before install looked great and had enough for rails on 7' diamond

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I am so glad you asked this question directly. There have been dozens of "How do I get the stains out of my Simonis wool cloth?" but I never jump in because you already have dozens of members answering who think their Simonis is some kind of tender, sensitive fabric that should never be disturbed by cleaning solutions.

I have been repairing, restoring, and reselling vintage Singers for about 25 years as a hobby, and as a result, am a pretty good, but nowhere near great, craft sewer.

Wool is one of the most durable and long-lasting organic fabrics on the planet. Wool socks, despite going through wash after machine wash, will outlast any cotton sock 10 times over.

Please read this simple wool fact sheet before continuing:

https://d1cqrq366w3ike.cloudfront.net/http/DOCUMENT/SheepUSA/CharacteristicsOfWool.pdf

Google Characteristics/Features/Chemical Attributes/Uses of Wool (or any such thing) and you will find hundreds of references to wool and the wool industry.

One fact you will see repeated over and over again is the following:

A wool fiber can be bent back on itself more than 20,000 times without breaking, compared to about 3,000 times for cotton and 2,000 times for silk.

The national and international wool industry touts wool's structural durability while the pool industry continues to hoodwink and bamboozle the buying public into believing it's some kind of soft, delicate, sensitive fabric for PR purposes (in other words, it's better to buy a new one than restore it--just replace it if it gets too dirty or stained).

Like any fabric, water and heat can cause it to shrink, etc. But due to its coiled protein structure and its external scales, it has a resilience not to be found in something like cotton.

Below is a picture of my Simonis, about 4 or 5 years old, with about 10-15 hours of use per week on it, that I have personally flooded and washed about 4 times.

You can see the wear if you look close and compare it to the Simonis sample sheet, but nothing that is as a result of the washing.

View attachment 455287

By the way, I am going to replace it this summer--that's a nicer section without jump divots, etc. in it.

My method: Probably very similar to Jasonlaus' method. I take a lukewarm bucket of water with the appropriate amount of Woolite or similar in it and completely soak the table. Slate I believe (but am not certain of this) does accept a certain amount of water, but that will be dried along with the cloth. Use as much water as is possible without letting the water get absorbed under the rails (I roll towels and stuff them under the rails to absorb the water I don't want going under the rails.) And here's the shocking part--grab your chair, Az'ers--you may fall off--you can gently scrub the cloth until clean. Wool is a really freakin' strong fabric. Again, think of those wool socks that withstand a good thousand washings before deteriorating. And, by the way, wool can now be milled and treated to withstand machine washings--amazing!

Let the water soak awhile, depending on how bad the staining is, and then use clean dry towels to absorb as much excess as possible--just let 'em lie on the surface for awhile. Then use fresh warm or cold water to rinse until you've thoroughly rinsed the soap out. Absorb the excess and put a fan to work blowing over the surface of the table until dry--I keep the fan on for a good 18-24 hours.

There should be no water marks or washing residue because you've done the whole surface and it's been evenly cleaned.

You're done. The wool will shrink and seem tighter right after the drying process, but due to it's inherent stretching capacity it will pretty much return to where it was before the washing. So, if it was loose before the washing, it will return to the same, or approximately the same looseness as it was before the washing. Read the wool info on the stretching and shrinking characteristics of wool on some of those websites if you need to understand why that happens to wool.

By the way, I play sloppy pool. That, and I use my pool table as a surface for preparing sewing and work projects, so I am not gentle on my table at all and it needs cleaning more than most other player's tables do. You pay me $300-$500 for some custom draperies and your draperies will end up starting on my table, too.

Good to know, thanks for posting. This is especially useful for things like spills on good cloth.

Me, I keep my table covered when not in use and have it recovered when it gets too ugly, but the cloth does last a very long time.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
my two cents

Years ago, one of the local poolhall owners had all the cloth flipped on his tables. He told me when both sides are dirty, he'll have them laundered.

FWIW, he later sold the poolhall, and the place eventually closed.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes it is. Hot water and a cloth. Think we used to use a cap full of woolite but not sure.
Jason
I have never seen any commercial room that intentionally got the cloth wet (as opposed to a brief, damp wipe) as part of cleaning except maybe to try to get up a bad spill and then only a small area got wet.

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
I knew a pool hall owner that used a Woolite solution and lightly brush the cloth with is. He would then thoroughly vacuum the cloth using a horse hair attachment, that he had made to vacuum the cloth. After, they looked and played fine. I never heard of any after affect problems with this cleaning.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have never seen any commercial room that intentionally got the cloth wet (as opposed to a brief, damp wipe) as part of cleaning except maybe to try to get up a bad spill and then only a small area got wet.

Then you haven't been around much. Damp is wet

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Revisiting this just to update
The seam didn't shift like I thought, the water putty pushed up, incredibly strange after a month it starts moving upward a bit
The original guy I had done the seams was a 20yr experienced table guy

I got a 40yr experience guy, soon as we took the cloth off he saw and told me what the other guy DIDN'T do
And even though it cost me much more with him I learned more than one thing from him

The guy was so good, he put the cloth back on with all the lines and spot marks within 1/32 I'd say of the original position, I didn't have to remark the cloth
And it even seemed tighter than before!

Last edited: