About time

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me to quit directing tournaments. I spoke with Pat Fleming sometime ago and will not be going back to the U.S. Open, unless there is an emergency of some kind. I also do not plan to go to DCC and direct the Bigfoot event again. I just don't want to work the long days anymore and feel it's time for a younger generation to take over for guys like me and Kenny Shuman and Bill Stock. We are all around 70 years old. I have been running events for well over thirty years and that's enough for me. Kenny will only be working the TV table at the Open this year.

I do plan to continue doing commentary when asked and write the occasional piece for Billiards Digest and will also endeavor to give back to the game that has been so good to me. Things like the Robles Sportsmanship Award and the BEF Foundation are high on my list, as well as up and coming young players who may need help from time to time. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.

I love meeting fellow AZers when we cross paths and still want to make that one last road trip some day. Don't worry, you can't keep me off of AZ Billiards! :smile:

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Does this mean that you will be available for some friendly, low stakes one-hole at the DCC this year? I'll tempt you with a free cocktail or two if that suits.

I've missed the DCC the last two years due to work and would love to get a chance to go for a day or two this next one.

Best,

JL

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Come on Jay, spill the beans.

We all know your'e heading for the Poker Tour.:grin:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me to quit directing tournaments. I spoke with Pat Fleming sometime ago and will not be going back to the U.S. Open, unless there is an emergency of some kind. I also do not plan to go to DCC and direct the Bigfoot event again. I just don't want to work the long days anymore and feel it's time for a younger generation to take over for guys like me and Kenny Shuman and Bill Stock. We are all around 70 years old. I have been running events for well over thirty years and that's enough for me. Kenny will only be working the TV table at the Open this year.

I do plan to continue doing commentary when asked and write the occasional piece for Billiards Digest and will also endeavor to give back to the game that has been so good to me. Things like the Robles Sportsmanship Award and the BEF Foundation are high on my list, as well as up and coming young players who may need help from time to time. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.

I love meeting fellow AZers when we cross paths and still want to make that one last road trip some day. Don't worry, you can't keep me off of AZ Billiards! :smile:
As long as you keep commentating, good for you. Great job at the US Open, I think you're the best out there!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.

Great job Jay, you've worked hard for a long time... it is time to enjoy.

I retired in 2011 and am enjoying the time I have left.... I'll be 70 next year and still have plans for well into my 80s+

The only thing I miss is the times when the players succeeded reaching their goals. Joy is a wonderful emotion to share.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for all you have given to pool jay....:thumbup:
larry

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,

I appreciate everything that you've done for the game and that includes removing yourself from a bad situation when you know that it's bad.

Keith

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm 72. Jay, I know what you're doing and why. When we know the time ahead is short, priorities and attitudes change.

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thread: About time

Thank You ... for what you have given to the game!!! Looking forward to your continued words of wisdom and your excellent commentary.

Relax & Enjoy!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry to hear you won't be working tournaments anymore, but I undertstand it. I hope you stay happy and healthy for at least 20 more years. John Terrell

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have had the privilege of meeting Jay several times at the Mosconi cup. In 2012 Jay was the winner of the free mini cue give away.

Jay I sent you that cue because of your hard work and dedication to the events and the people who enjoy the game. Thanks for letting us know about your retirement, you are the man.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay, I only know you through your writings and commentaries but i feel as though I know you well. We're of similar ages and experiences although mine are not nearly as colorful as yours. Wish I knew you in person as I know we could be friends. Those of us in the pool world owe you a huge debt of gratitude for your contributions and character which again, in the pool world, are not always present. Mitch

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have and deserve a lot of respect.

Hope to bump into you in So. Calif. Food and drinks are on me.

Thanks for everything.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I think this is just Jay trying to entice JoeyA back into another match of one pocket. Only time will tell.

JoeyA