I didn't trust my cue

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
How important is TRUST in your cue?
I was playing league match e other night, and decided that this night...I would play with my New Cue I recently bought...I normally play wih predator 314 shafts on all my cues, but haven't been able to find a pre-cat 3/8X11 314 yet for This cue...(hint, hint)... So I practiced with it for an hour before match start and thought...IT'S NOT BAD...regarding deflection differences,...I was able to make simple adjustments for the slight increased deflection...and it played REALLY GOOD!!!

So I used it in my first game and missed TWICE with it, broke it down, put it away, finished the match with my normal player and played lights out!!!

My team-mate laughed and asked me if I thought it was because of that cue, to which I replied...hell no...I'm just mind F$@&ing myself with it...I need to get out there and practice more with it so I know I can trust it. :eek: it was just easier to switch to the old one than to fight thru it.

How much do you rely on trust in your cue?

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
For me it's the other way around
My cues lose trust in me all the time, but I never know when it's going to happen.
I think they are insecure because of all the cue trading I do.
My cases are even starting to turn on me.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
don't really care about the cue, but once i lose trust in the tip, it's time to cut it off.

murphys_law

Registered
Absolutely!! A large part of pool is confidence that you can make a shot. When I switch cues before playing with in league I have to practice and run drills with them for days.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
One of the best reasons for a new player to have their own cue is consistency. Playing with the same cue builds confidence and comfort. Bringing a new cue into your game should be done a little at the time, similar to breaking in a new pair of boots. I would imagine that its your comfort with your player that made you lose confidence in the newer one. My suggestion is just as you said, practice with it until you are more used to it.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's mostly the tip

Hi 8,

I just told my wife last weak, that I'm cheating on her. She said, WHAT?

I said yeah, I think I'm in love with Adam Balabushka. She said, WHAT?

I said yeah, I really love my pool cue with the new shafts. It feels like it's part of me just coming right out of my arm through my hand.

She said, that's good, I'm glad.

That being said, I can play fairly well with almost anything, even a crooked bar cue as long as it has a good tip on it. Recently, I even broke down Bushak & beat a guy with a severely crooked bar cue after he made fun of it. I actually had been using it to break with.

That being said, a coulpe of weeks ago, a cool front came through & the Buska with the OB Classic was just not getting it done. So I switched to the McD i2 & everything was fine. I have different tips on each of them.

To answer your question, there are times when I really want my cue & times when it just does not matter that much. What's important is that I'm comfortable with whatever is in my hand & I'm not worrying about it.

I would probably have done the same thing you did & you're correct, you just need to build confidence in it & geting the 314 might help that out.

Hope this helps, if help is what you were looking for.

Regards,

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I didn't trust my third wife either, but you didn't see me getting rid of her.
Wait a second. I did get rid of her.
If you can't trust it, get rid of it! :smile:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing league match e other night, and decided that this night...I would play with my New Cue I recently bought...I normally play wih predator 314 shafts on all my cues, but haven't been able to find a pre-cat 3/8X11 314 yet for This cue...(hint, hint)... So I practiced with it for an hour before match start and thought...IT'S NOT BAD...regarding deflection differences,...I was able to make simple adjustments for the slight increased deflection...and it played REALLY GOOD!!!

So I used it in my first game and missed TWICE with it, broke it down, put it away, finished the match with my normal player and played lights out!!!

My team-mate laughed and asked me if I thought it was because of that cue, to which I replied...hell no...I'm just mind F$@&ing myself with it...I need to get out there and practice more with it so I know I can trust it. :eek: it was just easier to switch to the old one than to fight thru it.

You need to learn your cue first, know how it behaves with english, then it is the rider not the horse.
Aim right, and follow through all you need.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
One of the best reasons for a new player to have their own cue is consistency. Playing with the same cue builds confidence and comfort. Bringing a new cue into your game should be done a little at the time, similar to breaking in a new pair of boots. I would imagine that its your comfort with your player that made you lose confidence in the newer one. My suggestion is just as you said, practice with it until you are more used to it.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

I will agree with you that having your own cue is a good thing however I would also say that one should be able to play off the wall also. Some would see it as a sign of weakness if a player couldn't run 3 balls unless they had their prized cue. Far too many want to buy something new instead of putting the time into developing their game.

Imagine in a sword battle if you lost your sword but another sword was in your reach...the warrior who is dependent on only one weapon might be in a tough place in that situation. I'm all for having your own cue, I own several and it doesn't take very long to adjust from one to the other. It's in my opinion, sad when people believe they can't play unless they play with a particular cue. (Assuming that the cue has a half way decent tip and isn't horribly warped, has a broken or loose ferrule etc.) they should be able to adjust, adapt and overcome.

That's just how I see it and I'm probably in the minority on this.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This to me is a Prime example of what happens when you become a cue junkie.
If you play lights out with the cue you normally play with,then why
even change?My guess is maybe the look or the addiction of
playing with different cues.
For me I know there's no cue that I'll never miss with but play with a
cue that 95% of the shots feel comfortable for me.There's always
shots that every player fears.
Collect cues,flip cues,try cues ,but if you're lucky enough to have found
a cue you shoot lights out with don't change, you may never find
another one.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I will agree with you that having your own cue is a good thing however I would also say that one should be able to play off the wall also. Some would see it as a sign of weakness if a player couldn't run 3 balls unless they had their prized cue. Far too many want to buy something new instead of putting the time into developing their game.

Imagine in a sword battle if you lost your sword but another sword was in your reach...the warrior who is dependent on only one weapon might be in a tough place in that situation. I'm all for having your own cue, I own several and it doesn't take very long to adjust from one to the other. It's in my opinion, sad when people believe they can't play unless they play with a particular cue. (Assuming that the cue has a half way decent tip and isn't horribly warped, has a broken or loose ferrule etc.) they should be able to adjust, adapt and overcome.

That's just how I see it and I'm probably in the minority on this.

I agree with Dr.9. I have 8 cues from a graphite to my LD's on the Adam & I rotate them all, plus off the wall, in between playing with the Adam GB. It keeps you in tune to & flexible to different playing characteristics.

It's knid of like when Roy Hobbs broke his 'Wonder Boy' bat & simply said to the bat boy, 'Go pick me out a good one, Bobby' & then hit the home run with the boy's bat that he helped him make.

All I really need is a good tip that will hold chalk & is not too thin. The tip that is. That being said, they all hit differently, some better than others. But I never blame a mis on the cue. It's my inability to properly use it that is at fault, not the cue.

BigDaddyInc.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust in your cue is very important, i trusted in my mcdermott for many years and now the shaft is slightly crooked drives me nuts! So time for new cue.

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The difference between a 314 and and standard shaft.. thats your problem. Its not just the deflection but 314's have a WHOLE different feel to them.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I don't ever think about whether I can trust my cue or not, because I simply keep the same one year after year. I know exactly what will happen when I hit a ball with it. It's completely reliable and consistent. There's no adjustment to factor in because nothing changes. If the tip gets worn, I get the same tip. If I bash the shaft, I get the same shaft.

I'll never understand "cue guys". They shoot themselves in the foot by switching constantly. I've never been overcome with the beauty of a cue and decided I needed to get out my wallet and throw away years of familiarity.

The next time you miss a ball, don't let superstitious nonsense convince you that it's the cue's fault. You just missed.

If it really is a matter of adjustment, you'll never adjust if you unscrew it after 2 shots. Kills me to watch a buddy of mine, he's had a predator shaft for 5 months, but every so often after missing a ball he'll screw on the old meucci. It's like watching a dude get married than keep coming back to the ex-girlfriend even though he knows he's wrecking the marriage.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I generally feel that I can pick up almost any cue and play about as good as I normally do. BUT if I pick up a cue that really feels off then it bothers me to the point that it affects my stroke and that degrades my game.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Finding your cue is easier than often described!
You have to take it- you have immediatley a good or a *not so good* feeling. The balance for example is very important!
Then you have to feel good with the taper (almost never shown up here-but in my opinion EXTREMLY important!), so that you can swing nicley and see if your fingers can handle the shaft easily also with closed bridge.
And then the tip comes. The tip has to feel good from first moment- if not-change it!

YOUR cue is your extension of your arm-and it does what you tell him to do. So it s giving you also self-belief

And then stay with your material as long as you can-
NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM!

This of course without spending thoughts on how the cue is looking :)

lg
Ingo

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
never trust a cue... EVER.

Stroke is a little better to trust, but the problem is you never know when you're going to run out of the stuff...

best,

Justin

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I read every post and was nodding in agreement the whole time. Theres only 1 thing between you and the CB ,... and that's your cue. Of course you need to trust it. I'm breaking-in a new custom now and its been a lot of fun so far.

This thread made me think of something else: How do you feel when you walk into a bar for a beer or on a date, and someone notices you and really wants a game. Your cue is at home. Do you play??
You go over to the rack, and look at the cues on the wall. They are all 1 piece and are pretty ratty. How many cues do you go through before you decide onna "decent one?" Its likely got an oversized ferrule that is more blue than white, a nice mushroom tip, and the shaft feels like treebark. (not to mention you are pretty sure its not the straightest in the place. Actually your opponent likely has that one :grin: )

Do you play?

{some"gobbly-gook "for Justin, lol}

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Collect cues,flip cues,try cues ,but if you're lucky enough to have found
a cue you shoot lights out with don't change, you may never find
another one.

I can't say I play lights out...but damn, once I got my hands on my Josey I've had no desire to switch. Will only buy another cue if something horrible happens to it, then it would probably be another Josey.