Ideas That Recruit New Players

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on whether you're trying to recruit existing pool players to your room or whether you're trying to bring in new people to play.

The first one isn't too tough to figure out, you just have to make it a place where players like to play. Good prices, well kept tables, etc. I think membership cards, punch cards, etc. are all great ideas. I don't play as much as I would like in part because of cost. I wish the place I play had a membership option where, for a certain fee I could play all the pool I want during designated hours but then get a discounted rate during the really busy times likes on Friday/Saturday nights. This would let people play when the the place isn't super busy anyway (weekend days for example, I played for 5 hours yesterday and less than half the tables were occupied). Plus, if you're in an area with multiple rooms that will keep your clients loyal.

Attracting new players is a different story. In my experience most pool rooms are not the kind of places someone would go if they don't play pool. They just aren't that nice and don't really draw people in. The place I play is an exception to that, it's at least half focused on the bar/restaurateur side of the business (probably well more than half actually) and it gets people coming in for drinks, to watch games, families come for lunch, etc. It's a cool place, it's really nice inside, and they have quality food and drink. I think this helps bring in non pool players who then go play for fun after they eat sometimes.

In trendy cities there has definitely been a movement to activities similar to pool...I know of hip bowling allies in NYC that are always busy, places with lawn bowling on the roof, bocce ball, etc. They are frequented by trendy hipster type crowds of young people who dig things a little outside the main stream. I think this is a market that the right pool hall could definitely cater too, but you have to be in the right area and have the right kind of atmosphere. It may not make for the best players type of room, but it would definitely get new people in and playing I think.
As much as you would like to depend on regulars you can't. No matter what there is going to be turnover. People move away, change jobs, lose jobs or just disappear for no reason, and you have to be bringing in new customers. Bringing in new customers has to be a full time effort.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento

Prior to this school session, there was a 9am class for Seniors. It was an elective and had about 35+ students each session. The Students had IDs that could be used for discounts on the hourly rates.

Very successful program. I hear that Texas has expanded their student program to high schools that compete against each other at the end of the semester. IIRC, this program has expanded to entry level courses in the local colleges.

New players aren't just youngsters, Tuesdays and Thursdays are SENIOR special days. If you are over 55 years old, it is $2 and hour per table. with 4 seniors playing it is only 50 cents per person per hour. There is a senior group that comes in every Tuesday. They play from 11am until 3 and they all eat lunch together. 20+ players. One of the ladies just turned 100, they had a great birthday party for her. The special is from 10am until 6pm. Great price for two players 8 hours $16 bucks, $8 each :thumbup:

There are a lot of seniors that come in both days to take advantage of the discount. It is difficult to get a table in the tournament room after 11am.

Saturday is Family discount day.
Monday night is Women's special, they play free
Tuesday night is the popular 8 ball line tournament 730 to 10. 2 hours of play for all players in the tournament.
Wed is B tournament single elimination also College discounts available with student ID.
Thursday is 9 ball tournament and APA League night
Friday is RETAIL night
Saturday afternoon 8 ball tournament
Sunday 9 ball tournament and APA League night.

Happy Hour specials on food and beer during the week.

And of course, Military Discounts are available at any time you show your active ID.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My room opens up the tables from 3 to 7 every day! Brings players and they all buy drinks.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best suggestion --- put this thread in the ROOM OWNER DISCUSSION section. May get more room owners answers.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thats Great News

The two rooms I used to play at both offered monthly passes. For about $100 you could play on any open table until 7. For a little more, the time was extended to all open hours. If there was a waiting list, you had to go on time. Sadly they have both closed but one of them will be reopening nearby.

Another local room offers $1/hour table time on weekends. They have a full bar, so there is a chance to make some money even at that rate. They also run leagues and tournaments daily and encourage instructors to come in.

I have had some room owners as instructor candidates who wanted to be trained primarily so they could give their customers free lessons.

Now that's great news because its perfect advertisement.

If I were just walking around and saw a sign that said Free Pool Lessons if I weren't already a player I would think hey, Ive seen them play on TV, lets go do it and I would probably get a friend a go find out about it.

I have to believe that if people are given a chance to have fun and some thought is done to make sure its not humdrum and people do have fun you have a great chance in landing a customer who might be interested.

Even if not, you are presenting what you are offering. Someone might want to watch the game and have some pals to do it with. A nice brew or two and some snacks and maybe good food ordered at the bar are also a nice complement.

The idea of Advertisement and Marketing doesn't necessarily mean paying for an advertisement in a magazine, internet website, etc.

I think for this business it means marketing on a more personal level and even if you have to provide some free table time or lessons and make sure people have fun isn't it still great Marketing. All you are really paying for it is your time and chances are you will get paid for it when you make a customer.

I think an owner who gives free lessons is an owner who wants business and I would bet he finds a way to do it. To me the Pool Room Owner is the heart and soul of this Industry on a Commercial Scale. If they cannot succeed, its dire for the game.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I disagree

Best suggestion --- put this thread in the ROOM OWNER DISCUSSION section. May get more room owners answers.

K2Kraze,
I'm not sure that's such a good idea, then the rest of the people here wont see it. I'm asking players about their knowledge of what room owners are doing.

I know this may not make sense to you, but the Room Owners also see the Main Threads and this way everyone gets a shot at contributing to the discussion. Some of the problem has been that a lot of room owners don't know what to do next and maybe this will give them some ideas.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thats some great activity

Prior to this school session, there was a 9am class for Seniors. It was an elective and had about 35+ students each session. The Students had IDs that could be used for discounts on the hourly rates.

Very successful program. I hear that Texas has expanded their student program to high schools that compete against each other at the end of the semester. IIRC, this program has expanded to entry level courses in the local colleges.

New players aren't just youngsters, Tuesdays and Thursdays are SENIOR special days. If you are over 55 years old, it is $2 and hour per table. with 4 seniors playing it is only 50 cents per person per hour. There is a senior group that comes in every Tuesday. They play from 11am until 3 and they all eat lunch together. 20+ players. One of the ladies just turned 100, they had a great birthday party for her. The special is from 10am until 6pm. Great price for two players 8 hours $16 bucks, $8 each :thumbup:

There are a lot of seniors that come in both days to take advantage of the discount. It is difficult to get a table in the tournament room after 11am.

Saturday is Family discount day.
Monday night is Women's special, they play free
Tuesday night is the popular 8 ball line tournament 730 to 10. 2 hours of play for all players in the tournament.
Wed is B tournament single elimination also College discounts available with student ID.
Thursday is 9 ball tournament and APA League night
Friday is RETAIL night
Saturday afternoon 8 ball tournament
Sunday 9 ball tournament and APA League night.

Happy Hour specials on food and beer during the week.

And of course, Military Discounts are available at any time you show your active ID.

That's great activity and involvement. I can tell this guy knows how to cultivate a crowd of regulars. I bet he does it and it doesn't work him to death too.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robin - makes sense - I just didn't want to assume you were aware of that thread title and thought I'd toss out a suggestion that may help 😁 Good stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't know if its been suggested already, but a place I frequented many moons ago had worked out a deal to hold a college credit billiard and pool classes at their establishment. From what I was told, the classes were almost always full.

Each class would be broken down into a few teams, and each team would compete for the best record (against each other and individually) at the end of each semester. The bowling classes were done basically the same way.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
College Elective

Don't know if its been suggested already, but a place I frequented many moons ago had worked out a deal to hold a college credit billiard and pool classes at their establishment. From what I was told, the classes were almost always full.

Each class would be broken down into a few teams, and each team would compete for the best record (against each other and individually) at the end of each semester. The bowling classes were done basically the same way.

I cant imagine anything better to take in college as an elective.

stconnelly

stconnelly
I think it's hard to get new players because IMO pool os almost handed down now and days, I'm 20 I have been shooting for 2 years now but my dad has been shooting for over 19 years he got me into it, I believe the prices could have an effect on keeping pool players, honestly and sadly pool is a dieing sport not on TV so kids don't watch the pros, the pros don't make much compared to the other sports and people tend to think all pool halls are bad places and pool players are bad people , in order to get new people , kids , and adults we need to figure out a way to show everyone it's a family thing it's not bad but it's fun , need to change the way people think.. It's the only way

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Ambassadors of Pool

I think it's hard to get new players because IMO pool os almost handed down now and days, I'm 20 I have been shooting for 2 years now but my dad has been shooting for over 19 years he got me into it, I believe the prices could have an effect on keeping pool players, honestly and sadly pool is a dieing sport not on TV so kids don't watch the pros, the pros don't make much compared to the other sports and people tend to think all pool halls are bad places and pool players are bad people , in order to get new people , kids , and adults we need to figure out a way to show everyone it's a family thing it's not bad but it's fun , need to change the way people think.. It's the only way

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think you are right and the only Ambassadors that Pool has are the room owners. When a room owner decides that a more personal approach needs to be taken to marketing and seek better crowds of people then that will be what needs to happen.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My club offers a lot of promotions including play all day discounts, 4 hours + any 4 drinks for a set discounted price, student nights (not exclusively for students, but they pay half for table time). They also show sporting events in the bar area (pay per view boxing etc). They also have a couple of dart boards a snooker table and poker nights.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My club offers a lot of promotions including play all day discounts, 4 hours + any 4 drinks for a set discounted price, student nights (not exclusively for students, but they pay half for table time). They also show sporting events in the bar area (pay per view boxing etc). They also have a couple of dart boards a snooker table and poker nights.

Mark,
How is business doing? It sounds as if they should have some activity with that.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
My personal opinion would hinge upon a few basic questions.

1. What kind of room do you have?

1a. Is it a pool hall that has a bar, or a bar that has tables?

1b. Do you have room to spare, or are you packed to standing room only?

1c. What "visually" sets your place out from the surrounding buildings?

2. What demographic makes up your current clientele vs your potential clientele?

2a. If you have a biker bar, how are you going to mix in urban twenty-somethings?

2b. What kind of atmosphere are you projecting?

3. Do you have seating for non players and spectators?

3a. Do you have activities for non players or guests of players?

Sometimes just advertising free wifi and comfortable seating will attract folks who just want to get out of the house.

If you make your place, the kind of place people want to just hang out with their friends, they'll use the tables as an activity with those friends. I don't suggest karaoke because that seriously alienates the pool players. But a good social atmosphere, with a friendly staff will bring money to almost any bar environment.

It's difficult to imagine advertising specificly for pool players unless it's for a specific event, but by advertising to a wider base for your "home away from home", the pool players will migrate to you because their friends are there.

You don't need free gimmicks, you just need to adapt to the situation, and offer what your potential clientele is searching for. Would you respect a place that had a dancing chicken out front with a free lessons sign? Me neither.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal opinion would hinge upon a few basic questions.

1. What kind of room do you have?

1a. Is it a pool hall that has a bar, or a bar that has tables?

1b. Do you have room to spare, or are you packed to standing room only?

1c. What "visually" sets your place out from the surrounding buildings?

2. What demographic makes up your current clientele vs your potential clientele?

2a. If you have a biker bar, how are you going to mix in urban twenty-somethings?

2b. What kind of atmosphere are you projecting?

3. Do you have seating for non players and spectators?

3a. Do you have activities for non players or guests of players?

Sometimes just advertising free wifi and comfortable seating will attract folks who just want to get out of the house.

If you make your place, the kind of place people want to just hang out with their friends, they'll use the tables as an activity with those friends. I don't suggest karaoke because that seriously alienates the pool players. But a good social atmosphere, with a friendly staff will bring money to almost any bar environment.

It's difficult to imagine advertising specificly for pool players unless it's for a specific event, but by advertising to a wider base for your "home away from home", the pool players will migrate to you because their friends are there.

You don't need free gimmicks, you just need to adapt to the situation, and offer what your potential clientele is searching for. Would you respect a place that had a dancing chicken out front with a free lessons sign? Me neither.
Thats all well and good but if that potential clientele doesn't know you exist a dancing chicken is not a bad idea.

This crap works, once you have them in the door then it is up to you to get them to come back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDeHIwSHL1gxk&v=eHIwSHL1gxk

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to go back to the basics. No need to reinvent the wheel. I will start by telling you a personal story I have told on here before.
I lost my beverage license once for 5 months. I didn't really do anything wrong but it happened that is all I will say. While I was without my beverage license I could still sell table time but I took a real bath without being able to sell beer. There were other places to go to play and even my regulars drifted away and were gone.

Now the day comes and I have my license back but I have hardly any business. My wife and i went on a campaign to get customers back in the place. I started by getting a sign made. I had signs on the building but people drive by and for the most part don't see them. I got an idea from a local barbecue place. They were back in a shopping center and had a big mobile sign at the road. I was already on a main road I just needed to get people attention and it also had to be legal.

At the time I had some classic cars and one of the vehicles I had was a 1949 ford puck up truck. I had signs made that I put on a stake body mounted on the bed. It was like 4' x 6' and was painted so it also had an arrows pointing at the place. From the moment I parked it in front of the place people began coming in every day looking around.

I forgot to add this. I also got magnetic signs made for my cars. I drove a bright green and gold Firebird Formula 400 all jacked up and you could her coming from a block away. The car itself was an attention getter and I would be asked about the pool room all the time. They got me a number of customers as well.

I learned something I did know. I just assumed people knew I was there, I was wrong. After the sigh on the fancy antique truck that attracted attention itself, people would come in and ask, "When did this place open, I drive by here every day and never new you were here". The sign may have been the biggest immediate help.

We then began doing it like a political campaign. I really didn't know how many people worked within a square mile of my place probably a few thousand. I got thousands of business cards and flyers printed. In my area were auto repair shops, painting shops, all kinds of stores and on foot we went on a hand shacking and introduction campaign just like if we were trying to get elected to something.

I would introduce myself to everybody in the place and invite to come in. I give out business cards good for a half hour of pool or a free beer. Surprisingly no one throw me out, people like to meet an owner and know them on a first name basis. Remember, these people are within almost walking distance of my place and have a real potential of coming in.

I believe there is a limit to how far someone will travel, I was looking for new possible everyday customers that were close and I found them. They were always there I just didn't know it. I was content with my business as it was and thought I was doing good before the license disaster. Was I in for a surprise. Within a few months my business was double, thats right double, what it had in the past.

That is only half though, once you get them through the door you have to have something to offer. I added food that I never really had before and created a lunch crowd. A lot of my new people were not in the least pool players, they came in for a beer after work or lunch, but it was not long we began seeing them later that night playing pool.

Thats my story and maybe there some useful information I hope. The thing is, not everybody is really interested in pool. You have to use something else to get them in the door be it food or beer what ever. Once you get them through the door it is up to you to have them come back

macguy:

Thank you for sharing that -- really awesome to read! I like your ideas of "use what you got, to attract customers you already have nearby." That road sign mounted to the antique pickup truck was surely an attention getter. Like you noticed, many customers asked how long you were there, and said they drove by your place without ever knowing it was there.

One problem room owners have is ASSUMPTION. They assume that if they're close by, they know you exist. As you found out, it's not quite the case. Great job on realizing this, and then taking it to the next level with the magnetic signs in your cars, and then the "pound the pavement" (i.e. walk the sidewalk) to introduce yourself to neighboring businesses and giving them your business card.

The pool room I play at, Fast Eddies in New Milford, CT, seems to be enjoying the kind of renaissance that your business enjoyed. The owner, Eddie Locke (and his business partner, a local businessman by the name of Mike Fioccola) have been written up several times in the local media for the unique approaches they have to running a pool hall:

http://newstimes.com/news/article/Fast-Eddie-s-more-than-just-another-pool-hall-3615154.php

http://justvibephoto.com/2014/05/28...c-two-great-shows-at-fast-eddies-41914-42514/

It works for this area, where people who would never think to step foot in a poolhall, go there for different reasons, and then while enjoying the act(s) they came for, discover a whole new world with the pool tables and people playing on them nearby. They suddenly realize "poolhall" isn't what they pictured in their heads. And they become regular customers!

Great stuff,
-Sean

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Each one of us can do our little bit for the sport.

I played in a 9-ball tourney at Dog's the other night and two guys were in there from out of town. They were working here temporarily and were looking for some fun so they came into the pool hall. One played in the tourney and I got him first round.

I tried to be a good ambassador for the joint so I thanked him for coming in, bought him a drink after I kicked him 5-0, and then he asked if I had a shaper for the bar cue he was using. I shaved off the mushroom, dressed the tip, etc., and wished him luck in his next match. His buddy was just watching, not playing, but both were having fun. "Better than sitting in a hotel room," I said, with all agreeing to that.

Nothing big, just a little respect and courtesy. That is something each of us can do to help this game, if we wish.

fwiw, I know you're looking for room owners' ideas, but it takes a pool room, so to speak.

Jeff Livingston