9 Ball Ghost Skeptics, Meet You Tube

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
jjinfla said:
Now that I watched the videos I know that I suck. And you lose to the Philippinos? Damn. There is a lot more to this game than I will ever learn.

There are no really good players around here. I doubt that any of them can beat the ghost. I now realize that the reason some players are considered good is that they have no competition.

I was telling a few players here this morning about how people can do what you just did and they looked at me like I was crazy. seeing is believing. I will have to show them the video.
Jake

Ah, I just thought of something, "Big fish eat Little fish."
Doug
(and, very nice shooting Tate)

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Now that I watched the videos I know that I suck. And you lose to the Philippinos? Damn. There is a lot more to this game than I will ever learn.

There are no really good players around here. I doubt that any of them can beat the ghost. I now realize that the reason some players are considered good is that they have no competition.

I was telling a few players here this morning about how people can do what you just did and they looked at me like I was crazy. seeing is believing. I will have to show them the video.

Jake

Jake,

Don't get discouraged. It's one thing getting on a roll practicing, and another entirely getting out of the chair and playing another human being under pressure. I really have to get out and play more often.

I had quit playing for 25 years. When I came back into it four or five years ago, I was amazed at how much better the players are today. I've really worked on my game the last couple of years to get up to speed.

I play a lot of really good players. They can put a lot of heat on you. There is one Filipino sparring partner I have who is just a fantastic player. We went hill/hill five matches in a row about a year ago, then he cleaned my clock the last couple of times we played. He is so good, that here's what it's like playing him on a big pocketed table: You are hooked and kick and leave him a shot. He runs 3 racks and safes you. You kick and leave him a shot. He runs two racks and safes you. After a while of this, you either quit playing him or you learn to kick and not leave him a shot! My only chance is to get him on a tight table. On a loose table he's just brutal.

Anyway, I guarantee if you play the ghost for the next six months, your game and scores will vastly improve.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Snake said:
Hey TATE awesome shooting! Thanks for posting your video, the commentary is cool also. BTW I played you a couple of years ago in a USPPA tourny at Billiard Connection in Northridge. I see you haven't lost your touch. Have a good day. Peace.

snake

Hi Snake,

Thanks - when I was first getting back into pool I played there and played in the USPPA tourneys.

It made me sick when they closed the BC room. I liked the spacious atmosphere and the tables. That's also why I decided to get a tight table set up. Ernesto also did those tables

Thank you for the nice comments. If you see me please say "Hi" and introduce yourself. I haven't been out too much lately but I will be going to the Plush pocket Wednesday nights and to Hollywood Billiards once in a while.

Chris

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks a lot for posting the videos. They're very good and I also enjoyed the commentary. You sure do shoot a good stick. Maybe some 1$ Rack lessons sometime? :)

Way to prove the naysayers wrong man.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
You got a nice game, Chris.

Just out of curiousity, how deep is the shelf on your table. 4" corners are tight, but if you have a 1" shelf (or more) that is brutal.

Eric >would ask for a small spot from Tate

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
xidica said:
Thanks a lot for posting the videos. They're very good and I also enjoyed the commentary. You sure do shoot a good stick. Maybe some 1$ Rack lessons sometime? :)

Way to prove the naysayers wrong man.

Thank you and yes I will. Then, if you think I play good for $1 a rack, you should see me play for 50 cents!

Chris

Ps. I am still waiting for the skeptics to step forward!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Nice shooting Tate. Just watched just the first rack and you made a nice thin cut with inside english from 4 to 5. You have a good stroke.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Eric. said:
You got a nice game, Chris.

Just out of curiousity, how deep is the shelf on your table. 4" corners are tight, but if you have a 1" shelf (or more) that is brutal.

Eric >would ask for a small spot from Tate

Hi Eric,

From what I hear, you play a very nice game, and it would be a pleasure to get together with you if we ever meet up. Congrats on your wife. I saw the pictures on the CCB, and I sincerely want to say that she is really a nice looking girl and you two look great together.

The pockets have a very shallow shelf, otherwise this table would be really tough. I've played on other tight tables that were monsters and unexpectedly and unfairly rattle balls that a properly made table will drop. It's hard enough to play pool, you don't need a table that won't hold a down the-rail -shot or a thin cut. This is the difference between properly cut rails and shims.

On my table, basically if you clear the point, the ball drops, but you have to clear the point clean or it will get thrown out.

The table originally came with over 5" monster buckets from Olhausen and a grade B slate. Ernesto didn't have much to work with but did a great job with it. With the original pocket size, I developed a very sloppy game. There is so much damage that large buckets do to a players game. To break these bad habits, it took me many, many months, I would say about a year, to develop the accuracy I needed to really play on this table.

If you or anyone is interested in the changes I made to improve my accuracy, let me know and I'll list them. It was mostly stance, grip, and playing more angle on my patterns.

Chris

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Hi Eric,

From what I hear, you play a very nice game, and it would be a pleasure to get together with you if we ever meet up. Congrats on your wife. I saw the pictures on the CCB, and I sincerely want to say that she is really a nice looking girl and you two look great together.

Thanks Chris. She is definately the better half. Next time you're in NY or me in LA?

The pockets have a very shallow shelf, otherwise this table would be really tough. I've played on other tight tables that were monsters and unexpectedly and unfairly rattle balls that a properly made table will drop. It's hard enough to play pool, you don't need a table that won't hold a down the-rail -shot or a thin cut. This is the difference between properly cut rails and shims.

Good point on pocket cuts. I believe that with small pockets, you have to have sharper angles in the corners. If you quad shim a standard GC rail, the angle of the corner rails points "out" making it a trap table.

On my table, basically if you clear the point, the ball drops, but you have to clear the point clean or it will get thrown out.

IMO, it's good practice to play to "that side" of the pocket on any table.

The table originally came with over 5" monster buckets from Olhausen and a grade B slate. Ernesto didn't have much to work with but did a great job with it. With the original pocket size, I developed a very sloppy game. There is so much damage that large buckets do to a players game. To break these bad habits, it took me many, many months, I would say about a year, to develop the accuracy I needed to really play on this table.

If you or anyone is interested in the changes I made to improve my accuracy, let me know and I'll list them. It was mostly stance, grip, and playing more angle on my patterns.

I'm interested in hearing what adjustments you made.
Chris

Just to add something regarding angles/position for 9 ball, I find that if I play to get the CB on a line of one of the 3 middle diamonds, it usually gives me the angle I'm looking for. Obviously, which line I choose depends on where the OB is...

CueTable Help

*WEI TABLE TROUBLE-THE THIRD LINE IS OFF IN THE PIC

Eric >still a hack

Last edited:

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Hi Eric,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm allways open to any feedback.What were some changes you made,please share?

RJ

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
Hi Collin,

I like your post on improving break speed and accuracy.The hard part I have is in getting the timing down on that weight shift lunge you are talking about.
Everything else mentioned seems to be not that difficult to pull off.
Are any pointers possible with out one being there in person?

RJ

ps. this is getting off topic and maybe we could start a breaking thread.

Colin Colenso said:
RJ,
Hard to explain precisely (I should make a video). But basically the body begins its lunge forward just before the cue pauses slightly on the backswing. If you drive hard with the legs, jumping into the shot, it can add even more power, but the exact timing takes some work.

I suggest people try it at 80% effort for each aspect and just practice it over and over and gradually build up the power as your get more control.

The reason for the lunge forward is not simply for forward momentum as many would imagine, though that is a part of it. The forward movement of the shoulder places the muscles (particularly the front deltoids, upper pecs, lats and biceps) into an eccentric contraction, which means they will contract with more force.

When they contract rapidly, a lot of force is placed on the wrist as it flexes back and then contracts eccentrically delivering the final powerful blow.

I recommend a light (19oz) and stiff cue for this.

Colin

Hey Colin,

Make the boys an instructional breaking video.Your backhand english video was great.
RJ

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,
Very sporty game you have there! We need to get sjm to teach the ghost some brutal safeties to slow you down. :p

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
ScottR said:
Chris,
Very sporty game you have there! We need to get sjm to teach the ghost some brutal safeties to slow you down. :p

Hi Scott,

Thanks. I played SJM and as far as I am concerned, he is a top flight player and a master mover. I wish I had his knowledge. He not only moves well but he will take agressive shots and doesn't make very many mistakes. There were very few missed balls that day.

I told him I had never been 3 fouled. He tried but a couple of times but I kicked my way out.

Chris

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
Hey Colin,

Make the boys an instructional breaking video.Your backhand english video was great.
RJ
RJ,
Yes I plan to make a breaking video. I'm trying to think of a way to do this effectively with just my mobile camera....not easy as ideally their should be shots from behind and the side.

The best way would be to set up two cameras with good image resolution, but I may not be able to do that for a while.

I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, but if I get some time I'll try to put together a basic clip that explains the things I've mentioned here.

Cheers,
Colin

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Eric. said:
Just to add something regarding angles/position for 9 ball, I find that if I play to get the CB on a line of one of the 3 middle diamonds, it usually gives me the angle I'm looking for. Obviously, which line I choose depends on where the OB is...

CueTable Help

*WEI TABLE TROUBLE-THE THIRD LINE IS OFF IN THE PIC

Eric >still a hack

Side note:

Just announced that YouTube is being aquired by Google...

Eric

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
Hi Chris,

I'm allways open to any feedback.What were some changes you made,please share?

RJ

I'll post them up tonight.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
RayDM said:
Just curious, why wouldn't fouls on the break count against the shooter?

I am assuming beating the ghost means basically being able to run out with ball in hand. Assuming the ghost scratched on the break and you got ball in hand, if you run out you win, miss you lose. So why then would you scratching and letting ghost get ball in hand, wouldn't you lose ?

Nice shooting by the way. I would like to get anywhere near half as good.

Ray

I don't know why, but I have noticed in each region the game rules are different. In L.A., it's played where you can get BIH no matter what happens on the break.

I guess a good reason is to eliminate as many rolls as possible. A lot of scratches on the break are caused by the rack or the cue ball getting kicked in. There are a lot of rolls in playing the ghost, most of which are bad for the player. For every 9 ball easy combo you get, you'll get two messed up clustered tables. It's not unusual to get tables nobody can run. It can be very frustrating when you get a string of them.

My one bit of advice playing the ghost is, give yourself a good tight rack. All the balls should be frozen like a Sardo. This maximizes the scatter and minimizes clusters in the foot spot area. You don't need to make a ball on the break but the balls must spread. It didn't show in the video but I spent ample time making sure my racks were frozen. Even then, I managed to give myself a slug or two.

Chris

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
TATE said:
Hi Scott,

I told him I had never been 3 fouled. He tried but a couple of times but I kicked my way out.

Chris

I had never been 3-fouled until some time last year. That record went out with a whimper.

I now think if you have not been 3-fouled, you are not playing against strong enough competition or not playing enough.

Efren has been 3-fouled :eek: