Jimmy Reid Report

av84fun

Banned
I have an unconfirmed report but from a knowledgeable local Tennessean that the GREAT Jimmy Reid died over the weekend after his long and well known battle with cancer.

Can anyone confirm the report? If it is incorrect, me deepest apologies to Jimmy, his family and friends.

Jim

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I hope it isn't so, Jimmy is a great guy and I was pulling for him to overcome this illness.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
av84fun said:
I have an unconfirmed report but from a knowledgeable local Tennessean that the GREAT Jimmy Reid died over the weekend after his long and well known battle with cancer.

Can anyone confirm the report? If it is incorrect, me deepest apologies to Jimmy, his family and friends.

Jim

I really hope it's not true, and I have to say that I think it is poor judgement to post this before confirming it.

pahrolli

Registered
I agree with Poolbum. It just seems like common sense to me, not to post something like that without it being confirmed.

BANKONIT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can Someone Please Call The Port St. Lucie Fl. Area Newspaper To Confirm This And Then Post.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Reports of demise exaggerated

As of Sunday, Oct. 8th 4pm, Jimmy was alive and kicking. He was still on a feeding tube but was looking forward to getting off it soon. His spirits are high considering his situation. He says he thinks they got out all of the cancer. He's a great battler and his fighting heart is evidenced once more. He could probably use some help and some prayers from his pals and fans.

the Beard
Bank on, Jimmy!

av84fun

Banned
<<I really hope it's not true, and I have to say that I think it is poor judgement to post this before confirming it.>>

HUH? Did you read the post? I was specifically TRYING to confirm the story and specifically stated it was an UNCONFIRMED report. You see, in the modern age, we use technolodgy, such as the internet to determine facts.

Jim

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Instead creating bad info...and bad energy. Lets do the right thing and show some class to friend in need.
My deepest prayers are sent to Jimmy & his family. Lets hope God can help his health...and his worries.
KV

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Can anyone confirm the report? If it is incorrect, me deepest apologies to Jimmy, his family and friends.Jim

He just wanted to know if it was true. I don't see what is so wrong with that. If he had stated it as fact then I can see a problem. I just think people gave him too much sh#t for just asking about what he heard. He did apologize if he was incorrect. I wish the best for Mr. Reid. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
Thanks Rossaroni. I live in Nashiville, know Jimmy and have had lessons from him. I don't know is family though and have lost first hand touch since he move to florida to be near his parents.

I even used "Reid Report" as my subject instead of some other subject title. I meant no harm as was just concerned about one of my pool heroes.

However, if I had it do over again, I would have simply asked if anyone had heard about how Jimmy was doing.

Again, I apologize for upsetting any one.
Regards,
Jim

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Thanks Rossaroni. I live in Nashiville, know Jimmy and have had lessons from him. I don't know is family though and have lost first hand touch since he move to florida to be near his parents.

I even used "Reid Report" as my subject instead of some other subject title. I meant no harm as was just concerned about one of my pool heroes.

However, if I had it do over again, I would have simply asked if anyone had heard about how Jimmy was doing.

Regards,
Jim

Yea, you may not have worded it the best, but I think you wanted to know, because you truly care. You did not mean to offend anyone, therefore I don't think you deserve too much flack from it.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:

Regards,
Jim

Don't sweat it man,as it was just an honest mistake in the wording.
Besides something good came out of it, because now Jimmy can receive some prayers and support from AZ.
RJ

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
av84fun said:

Regards,
Jim

I see now that your post may have just been poorly worded. It doesn't read as if you're just trying to get information, it reads as though you are posting an announcement because you are convinced enough from your knowledgeable source that it is true, and all that's left is the official confirmation.

Someone posted a few weeks ago that C.J. Wiley had died. I was startled when I read it, and needless to say pissed off when I found out it wasn't true.

In any case I hope the Beard is right and Jimmy is still kicking (banking!), and will recover and get back on his feet. Hang in there Jimmy!

Last edited:

jjinfla

Banned
PoolBum said:
Someone posted a few weeks ago that C.J. Wiley had died. I was startled when I read it, and needless to say pissed off when I found out it wasn't true. !

Are you sure that came out the way you intended?

I am having trouble determining just what you are pissed about.

I did receive a short e-mail from Jimmy on the 3rd where he stated he was working on his website.

Jake

av84fun

Banned
<<it reads as though you are posting an announcement because you are convinced enough from your knowledgeable source that it is true, and all that's left is the official confirmation.>>

No Poolbum, if I knew it was a fact I would have posted it as such. Clearly, it was a rumor but since it came from a guy here in Nashville, I just wanted to find out what the truth was.

In any event, I have apologized for less-than-perfect wording and that's all I can do.
Regards,
Jim

Roadie

Banned
Reports of my death are greatly exxagerated, said Mark Twain, I believe.

Jimmy and I spent a bit of time together and he could be the epitome of the road player. He is surely one unique character who has put some time into teaching pool players around the world how to be smarter and better players.

If you ever wanted to add to your collection of pool knowledge then now might be the time to order Jimmy's works.

If you read this Jimmy, just remember when you said that after 50 hours of play when they couldn't even unscrew the stick you bounded over and snapped it open. You have always had that vigor and I hope you always will.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Message from Jay Helfert

This is a private message I received from Jay. It made me feel very good. I hope he doesnt mind that I am going to share it with the fellas on the forum.

"Thanks Freddie! I just got off the phone with Jimmy. He answered and I said "Hippy Jimmy". And he said "Hi Jay". His mind is intact!

I told him he had one of the greatest little laughs, that cackle of his. It spoke volumes. He could cackle, and shark most of his opponents without hitting a ball.

A great shotmaker and a hard player. He would not quit, until the bank ran dry. But he beat his fair share of Champions, not shortstops. He always looked for the best players.

When these youngsters make claims about how the players today are better, I think of guys like Jimmy and Buddy and Mataya and Keith and Denny, who could run out for days. And play for the cash too, with no quit in them.

I remember Lassiter saying that if he heard about a good player, he would go watch them play. If they missed once an hour he knew he could beat them.
Anyway thanks for his number. We had a good talk and I told him I love him. Thanks Freddie."

Jimmy was a straight ticket, if you beat him you broke him. However, beating him wasnt so easy. I watched him torture and bust Richie Florence playing 9Ball in Detroit. The session lasted 3 days. Trying to outlast Jimmy Reid was usually a bad idea. I know him since he was 15 yrs old and I too love him, Jay.

the Beard

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It is definitely a relief to hear that he is still alive. We have lost so many great players and people from the pool world this year.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Perhaps this is what you heard...

Sad News Paul Hunter Died Last Night!

Sad news for all who new him or followed his snooker and pool career. Paul Hunter died last night
after a long cancer illiness. He was to young to go, I for one will miss him, he will always be in my heart.
God bless you Paul St. Peter will see you get all the rolls.

PAUL HUNTER

Paul was I understand just 24 years old.

Jerry

Registered
Jimmy's still kicking

He called last night. He's had a rough time but feels he's got the upper hand now. He said he had 134 radiation treatments. Seems like a lot. I asked him if he glowed in the dark and he said he didn't need a flashlight at night... As you guys said, he has no quit. He's looking forward to getting rid of a breathing tube and starting to hit some balls and build his stamina.