Question (Help!)

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may sound stupid but I have a question me and my brother ran into shooting straight pool the other night and we gave up after 30 minutes of searching and just started back up.

Here was the scenario:

I was shooting into a 4 ball combo with the 4 on the end and what I called into the corner to be safe. I mis-hit the shot and the 4 never moved, but the cue did hit the first ball in line with the combo and the cue did hit a rail afterwards.

Was that a foul or legit shot? Neither one of us was fussing over it as we have never really run into that before where we called a ball that was not hit but a legal hit (we think) came from the miss as like I said the cue did hit a ball and a rail.

Should that have been a foul or was it legal?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This may sound stupid but I have a question me and my brother ran into shooting straight pool the other night and we gave up after 30 minutes of searching and just started back up.

Here was the scenario:

I was shooting into a 4 ball combo with the 4 on the end and what I called into the corner to be safe. I mis-hit the shot and the 4 never moved, but the cue did hit the first ball in line with the combo and the cue did hit a rail afterwards.

Was that a foul or legit shot? Neither one of us was fussing over it as we have never really run into that before where we called a ball that was not hit but a legal hit (we think) came from the miss as like I said the cue did hit a ball and a rail.

Should that have been a foul or was it legal?
You are not required to move the ball you called, and you did not commit any foul.

It turns out that the official rules for 14.1 have an error in that "wrong ball first" fouls are included in the list of possible fouls. Since you are never required to hit a particular ball first "wrong ball first" never applies to 14.1. (A separate rule governs foul play behind the line with ball in hand.)

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! We thought that it was still a legal shot but we were scratching our heads on whether it was truly legal or not according to the rules. We couldn’t find it so it confused us even more. Thanks again!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foul?

This issue got me thinking about another ‘foul’ question: When you shoot a called ball straight into the pocket, but so softly it hangs on the lip, that is obviously a foul (no rail contacted). BUT, if shot too hard, and it bounces directly back from the GC plastic pocket liner onto the table (technically, still no ‘rail’ contacted), I assume THAT would be a legal shot? Don’t recall if the rules are that specific.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This issue got me thinking about another ‘foul’ question: When you shoot a called ball straight into the pocket, but so softly it hangs on the lip, that is obviously a foul (no rail contacted). BUT, if shot too hard, and it bounces directly back from the GC plastic pocket liner onto the table (technically, still no ‘rail’ contacted), I assume THAT would be a legal shot? Don’t recall if the rules are that specific.

If it hit any part of the pocket - that counts the same as contacting a rail - so legal hit.