CJ Wiley VS Steve Mizerak - Sands Regent XIII - June 1991

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today's pool is worse than it was back then. Pool has been "dumbed down".

In this match, you didn't see either player playing a lot of safes every other shot. You didn't see jump cues. CJ didn't even use another cue to break with...he broke with his playing cue.

The rails and cloth are way too fast today. It is more like bunting the balls around the table than stroking them. I prefer playing on the slower cloth and rails so that I can "hit" the balls. I don't like having to baby them.

The table I play on during my once a week sessions has cloth that is a bit slower than the Simonis 860 and it suits me better.

I also am not a fan of one-foul BIH rules...that has ruined the game of 9-ball, IMHO. Before one-foul BIH, they played two-shot push out, which made for a much better game. There was more excitement because people would "go for" more difficult shots because they weren't scared of making a mistake and getting penalized by the single foul rules.

If you ask any old-school player...CJ, Earl, Keith, etc...they will all say that the way pool was played years ago was better than it is today.
I agree. It WAS better. I grew up on slower Stevens/Mali cloth, bigger pockets and 2-shot roll-out 9ball. The cloth allowed you to be more physical with the cueball compared to Simonis-style.And roll-out is how 9ball was designed to be played. One-foul came about to speed-up tournament matches not to make the game any better. 2shot is a shooting game as opposed to the duck/kick-fest we have now. Oh well.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winner breaks always is more exciting to me. I like to see when people get on a roll and run some packages.

You shouldn't have to give up the table until you miss. The end of a game shouldn't end your turn at the table if you made the game ball.

I have never heard anybody I've played ask for alternate breaks unless they didn't break as well as I did. I have never advocated alternate breaks when my opponent was breaking better than me.

What if you never get to the table but only to rack sure nobody plays alternate breaks but you could be sitting a long time when your opponent is running rack after rack and your sitting and can't do nothing about it but say let's change games :frown:

I like to see alternate breaks in some situations some players are overmatched and that would bring it closer to having a chance to win

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for him.
Anybody who can take out The Rocket for some cheese is definitely hitting them good..
Do you, by chance, have any notion of what happened to his hair? Surely he didn't have to endure cancer treatments...at his young age? Just wondering......

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that some guys prefer the Telly Savalas to the Friar Tuck. :duck:

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm ready for the book. I've heard the same 6 or 7 stories enough to last a life time.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Eye. That was a great match during a good time for pool. The players and the tournament seemed to have a bit of class that seems to be missing in todays US events.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Eye. That was a great match during a good time for pool. The players and the tournament seemed to have a bit of class that seems to be missing in todays US events.
CJ was fun to watch. He showed-up ready to go to war, tournament or action.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was the TD for that event and they played this match right in front of the directors podium. I had to make a call on one of Steve's shots at the 57.30 mark and I was surprised to see the young Jay on screen. My wife says I look better now (totally bald).

Back then most tourneys like the Sands still used Stevens or Mali cloth, not the slick ice we are playing on today. You had to play pool back then and move the cue ball around the table with your stroke and not just push every shot softly to get position. Simoniz was only used on billiard tables prior to the 90's. I'd like to see some tourneys go back to the old style cloth. I think pool was more exciting then. JMHO as always. :grin:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

That one shot where Steve threw that mortal lock safety at CJ when shooting at the 6 ball flabbergasted the commentators. That was a beautiful move.
:thumbup:

Almost as good as when he shot the 5 directly into the rail and they said he took his eye off the ball :thud::lol:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leonard Bludworth made a Buddy Hall series I think ?

I remember back in the day C J used a Bludworth, maybe that's it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leonard Bludworth made a Buddy Hall series I think ?

I remember back in the day C J used a Bludworth, maybe that's it.

He used a Blud back in the 90s and I think he may still use it on occasion.

For the last few years, I see him using the maple merry widow that somebody made for him. He told me the maker, but I can not remember the name.