Got a nice lesson tonight...

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Tonight I played with Dave Daya and learned a lot. He worked with me on patterns, eliminating trouble, etc., and I got to see two triple digit runs first hand. He had runs of 145 and an even 100.

For as many videos as I've watched, I have to admit there's nothing like seeing the game played at that level first hand. Even though I spent most of the night racking, I didn't care. I just tried to soak up as much as I could, as he would take the time to explain why he did this or that. It's just mind boggling how easy he makes this game look.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very good

Playing with players like that is very beneficial. I have racked many times for great players: Dick Lane, LeRoy Kinman, Bob Vanover. I have stood there thinking to my self ( just how easy they make it look). I have leaned a lot.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
right and that´s good practice for you too. you sure learned something

It's not like I didn't shoot at all. We played for over 3 hours (he walked me through patterns, etc.), and table time is a daily fee of $5, so it's not like I was paying to sit. And who said anything about practice? I got a lesson. Now it's up to me to practice what I learned.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Dave is one our nations great 14.1 players, and a true ambassador to the game. Your a lucky player to be in the position to soak up some of his knowledge.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Playing with players like that is very beneficial. I have racked many times for great players: Dick Lane, LeRoy Kinman, Bob Vanover. I have stood there thinking to my self ( just how easy they make it look). I have leaned a lot.

Agreed. Nothing beats hands-on. And Dick Lane is one of my favorites.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Dave is one our nations great 14.1 players, and a true ambassador to the game. Your a lucky player to be in the position to soak up some of his knowledge.

Soaking it up is one thing. Executing it is another. :frown:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dave Daya

Tonight I played with Dave Daya and learned a lot. He worked with me on patterns, eliminating trouble, etc., and I got to see two triple digit runs first hand. He had runs of 145 and an even 100.

For as many videos as I've watched, I have to admit there's nothing like seeing the game played at that level first hand. Even though I spent most of the night racking, I didn't care. I just tried to soak up as much as I could, as he would take the time to explain why he did this or that. It's just mind boggling how easy he makes this game look.

I saw him play at the Worlds in 2008. he went undefeated in the Round Robin portion. Awfully strong.

What are the chances you could use a camcorder as he runs balls and talks about his patterns or as he talks you through patterns???

The resulting video would be a treasure.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have spoken to Dave a few times at tournements in New Jersey over the last few years. A real gentleman. Nice guy.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
What are the chances you could use a camcorder as he runs balls and talks about his patterns or as he talks you through patterns???

The resulting video would be a treasure.

I'm going to keep my camera in the car anymore. I have an 8mm camcorder and a video capture card in my computer.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
No Touch

Hey Winston, have Dave work with you on how to avoid touching balls with your bridge hand. You never know when something like that will come in handy. It may prevent multiple rack runs by an opponent. ;-)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Especially in 14.1/straigh-pool it s so impressive to play against player of that level. Probably the best way to learn (next to practice-lol). And if you have the luck like you had- that you found a great player who s also able to transport his knowledge to you- -Congratz :)

Go for more^^

lg from overseas,
Ingo