How tight should I make my GCIV?

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I'm going to tighten the pockets on my GCIV from their current 4-7/8 size to something more challenging.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to 14.1, but I am fan that likes to play it occassionally. I don't want to seal up the pockets so tight that I won't be able to put any decent runs together, but I'd like it tight enough that when practicing rotation games there is a higher degree of difficulty on pocketing balls.

I was thinking 4-3/8 might be the meet in the middle size for both 14.1 and rotation games. What do you guys think?

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I'm going to tighten the pockets on my GCIV from their current 4-7/8 size to something more challenging.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to 14.1, but I am fan that likes to play it occassionally. I don't want to seal up the pockets so tight that I won't be able to put any decent runs together, but I'd like it tight enough that when practicing rotation games there is a higher degree of difficulty on pocketing balls.

I was thinking 4-3/8 might be the meet in the middle size for both 14.1 and rotation games. What do you guys think?

4.5 would be a good compromise.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
A triple shim (1/16" each) will take it down to 4-1/2" & will play pretty tough due to the layered shims. If the OB rubs the rail, it probably won't fall.

Using thicker shims (I installed 1/4" thick shims on my old AMF) will keep the pockets playing tight, but more "fair" at 4-3/8". OB can rub the rail a little & still fall...at slower speeds anyway.

I bought the one-piece, 1/4" thick shims from AMF. That was 10+ years ago, so they may no longer provide them.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
14.1 Pockets

My plan is to do a proper subrail/cushion extension. I've done this before with decent results. I have an antique OS 8 that I tightened up with subrail/cushion extensions to 4-1/4" pockets. The table just plays so tough, that's why I was thinking 4-3/8 would be forgiving enough for 14.1 and One Pocket, but challenging enough for 9/10 ball.

Thanks for the input guys.

sausage

Banned

i agree.

if you use standard pocket facing material, when the ball hits the tip of the cushion, it will go dead. i know because that's what i did to my GC1. ask the mechanics what they recommend. whatever it is, it has to have more bounce than the hard rubber facing material.

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree w/ Marop. 4 1/2 inches is about as small as you want to go for playing straight pool. Anything smaller and your patterns will likely be affected due to difficulty of certain shots. I own a Diamond Pro-Am table with 4 1/2 inches and that is difficult enough for 14.1, but just about perfect for rotation games and drills.

Good luck,
Ray

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No tighter than four and a half. I have a table that is too tight. I'm looking to open it up to four and a half. Any tighter than that and it's no fun to play on, great for practice, but lousy for family and friends.

Andy