Neat Little Shot

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was kind of playing around with this shot recently. It's one I've shot before by feel, but never really thought about it as a specific type of shot to look for. It comes up when you have a shallow angle on a rail shot near the pocket, and you want to go up table as shown below.

The reason I like this shot is because it is very forgiving. You have to hit it reasonably hard, but the cue ball does not travel fast when you do. Hit with high outside english. The outside brings the cue ball back, while the follow fights it and causes the cue ball to curve forward. When the english scrubs off the cue ball "releases" like a golf ball hitting the green and rolls smoothly toward the side rail. I've noticed this shot in a couple different instances, and I felt like I knew how I had to hit it to get the position I wanted.

It's always good to have a shot you know in your bag, and to me, this is one of those. Hope it helps somebody.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well Dan,

sorry- perhaps the ball-setup is not the way you *thought or wanted*, but til now i don t see the sense and reason for the shot.
If the balls would be in the shown position, i would always choose another route.
For example: to shoot the 4 ball just dead center and let the cb come for a breakshot, where i would be able to shoot the 10b as a break and let the cueball roll into the rack via 1 rail (thin cut).

lg
Ingo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Dan,

sorry- perhaps the ball-setup is not the way you *thought or wanted*, but til now i don t see the sense and reason for the shot.

Hi Ingo. The set up was purely for purposes of illustrating the shot. I removed all the other balls just so I could describe this shot.

The more I think about it the more I like this shot. It is the only way to get the cue ball to go as shown from this position. You have to hit it pretty firm to get the cue ball to go past the 10.

Yesterday this came up with the object ball at the middle diamond on the foot rail. I was able to go into the bottom of the cluster very nicely using this shot.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shot thanks

It is a good shot, right? I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't know it, beyond just doing whatever "felt" right to get the cue ball there.

For those who think this looks like any other shot, try it and see what you think. As far as I can tell it is the only way to get the position shown.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
How does your leave on the 10 get you a break shot? I'd prefer drawing it across, leaving an angle above the 10 Ball to get a break shot out of...Also, when I try punching a shot like this, I'm as likely to come up short and collide with the 10 ball, with unpredictable results...maybe I'm seeing it wrong or don't understand why you're choosing this route? We are playing 14.1, yes? I agree the punch shot with a little energy (follow) as shown can be a handy little tool--I just don't understand why you're using it here.....???

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Hi Ingo. The set up was purely for purposes of illustrating the shot. I removed all the other balls just so I could describe this shot.

The more I think about it the more I like this shot. It is the only way to get the cue ball to go as shown from this position. You have to hit it pretty firm to get the cue ball to go past the 10.

Yesterday this came up with the object ball at the middle diamond on the foot rail. I was able to go into the bottom of the cluster very nicely using this shot.

Now, this I agree with...so long as you don't get stuck in the rack. I prefer to glance off the second ball from the corner on the bottom of the rack, forward or drawing back with enough spin to bite the side rail and move above the rack on the leave...dead straight into the rack gets me stuck almost every time, so I must be doing it wrong...:(

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree the punch shot with a little energy (follow) as shown can be a handy little tool--I just don't understand why you're using it here.....???

See comments above. The layout was not meant to be a game situation - just an illustration of this particular shot.

Thanks.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
See comments above. The layout was not meant to be a game situation - just an illustration of this particular shot.

Thanks.

Okay, gottcha. Yes, I agree that's a neat little shot. I use it quite a bit, but the reach on that angle to get above a ball that's two diamonds up is tough for me--takes some touch! :D

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Yes I believe he is talking about top left english. I like that shot but will often hit with center right to achieve the same position.
Your illustration is great. I play the shot on occasion but never really drew it out in my head like that so I can picture it like I do so many others. It's nice to have a visual to file away like a mental index card.
Thanks for the image.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I believe he is talking about top left english. I like that shot but will often hit with center right to achieve the same position.
Your illustration is great. I play the shot on occasion but never really drew it out in my head like that so I can picture it like I do so many others. It's nice to have a visual to file away like a mental index card.
Thanks for the image.

Yes, outside in this case is left english. Also, I wouldn't think center right would work for this shot, but I have to admit I haven't tried it. I'll give it a go and see how it compares.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I would think at least without trying it that center left might lengthen out the arc of the spin possibly landing you in the drink. "Side pocket" or it would just flatten out the shot and the cueball would take a straighter line.

-Steve

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think at least without trying it that center left might lengthen out the arc of the spin possibly landing you in the drink. "Side pocket" or it would just flatten out the shot and the cueball would take a straighter line.

-Steve

He mentioned center "right" not left. Center left of course will just bring the cue ball back towards you and not to the intended position.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
He mentioned center "right" not left. Center left of course will just bring the cue ball back towards you and not to the intended position.

OK Then.... I have Pro Reading Skills !!!

i dont think center right is going to be good, depending on how you hit it you may run into the ball on the rail !!!!

-Steve

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I tried it and this shot won't work with center right. You are probably starting with too sharp a cut angle. This is for shallow angle shots. I don't believe there is a way to get this position other than high outside (left) and hit firm.

Thanks!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The shot uses an absolutely standard kind of action from 3-cushion billiards, but it is usually used over a longer distance at that game -- outside follow on a ball near a cushion to get a follow-hook off the rail.

But as drawn it is possible to get the cue ball to the position indicated with no side spin and just a little follow on the cue ball when it gets to the object ball. There are other situations where a blocker requires you to loop around a little and then the plain shot wouldn't work.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For more fun, move both balls straight down (in the drawing) for a behind the rack break shot.

Hit it with a good stroke and you can get the cue ball to leap off the rail and fly into the center of the rack.

From Mosconi's little red book. (Mom, find my copy, please.)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot uses an absolutely standard kind of action from 3-cushion billiards, but it is usually used over a longer distance at that game -- outside follow on a ball near a cushion to get a follow-hook off the rail.

But as drawn it is possible to get the cue ball to the position indicated with no side spin and just a little follow on the cue ball when it gets to the object ball. There are other situations where a blocker requires you to loop around a little and then the plain shot wouldn't work.

Thanks Bob! The follow shot works, but I find it more forgiving with the follow/outside english. That may just be due to my hitting it more with the outside english, but it does create a little wider path for the cue ball to pass beyond the object ball.

I knew I'd learn something more if I posted this shot.