Rules question

Oldwestside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I scratched into a pocket with 2 balls left on the table, but they were both in the kitchen. My opponent shot his ball down into a corner pocket taking an intentional foul and now we are both on one foul. I tried kicking at the two balls in the kitchen and missed and agian my opponent shot his ball into a corner pocket, we are both on 2 fouls. I tried kicking agian and missed. Three foulls on me and minus 15. Rather than kicking before taking the second foul I should have just knocked a ball out of the kitchen and taken a foul making sure I didn't wind up with 3 fouls. Would that be legal? Any insite from you pros would be a big help.

Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I scratched into a pocket with 2 balls left on the table, but they were both in the kitchen. My opponent shot his ball down into a corner pocket taking an intentional foul and now we are both on one foul. I tried kicking at the two balls in the kitchen and missed and agian my opponent shot his ball into a corner pocket, we are both on 2 fouls. I tried kicking agian and missed. Three foulls on me and minus 15. Rather than kicking before taking the second foul I should have just knocked a ball out of the kitchen and taken a foul making sure I didn't wind up with 3 fouls. Would that be legal? Any insite from you pros would be a big help.

Thanks
It is absolutely forbidden to play directly on a ball in the kitchen when you have ball in hand. It is unsportsmanlike conduct. The cue ball must go over the line before it hits a ball behind the line.

If all object balls are behind the headstring and you have ball in hand, you may ask for the ball closest to the line to be spotted. If two are equally close to the line, you may chose which will be spotted.

It's good to read through the rules at least once or twice. It's really hard to remember all of them on one reading because you haven't run into the corresponding situations, but you may remember later that a new situation was in fact covered and then you can refer to them. Here are the official rules: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

Some rules don't make any sense until your skill level passes a certain level. For example, the stalemate rule (which was new for 14.1 in 2008) seems to have no use until your and your opponent's safety skills are pretty good.

Oldwestside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14-1

Thanks Bob, if I had known the rule about a ball being spotted, the match would have gone my way.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, if I had known the rule about a ball being spotted, the match would have gone my way.

The actual rule is in the general rules, not specifically in the rules for 14.1, so you may not have found it anyway. But this rule applies to all games where BIH is behind the head string rather than anywhere on the table.

The applicable rule is 1.5 of the general rules (WPA):

1.5 Cue Ball in Hand

When the cue ball is in hand, the shooter may place the cue ball anywhere on the playing surface (see 8.1 Parts of the Table) and may continue to move the cue ball until he executes a shot. (See definition 8.2 Shot.) Players may use any part of the cue stick to move the cue ball, including the tip, but not with a forward stroke motion. In some games and for most break shots, placement of the cue ball may be restricted to the area behind the head string depending on the rules of the game, and then 6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement and 6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String may apply.

When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.