Corey Deuel and his contribution to pool history

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate the game not the player. Until rules were changed this was legal and effective. Hell, i thought Rick Barry shooting free-throws underhanded was total bull-s^*t but it worked. BTW, nice job by your kid.

The issue with the soft break is that it changed what 9 ball was. It also made for a very boring thing to watch. Corey once said in an interview about the soft break "well the point of playing the game is to win, and this helps me win". He's right. But I'm also very glad that most events now prohibit soft breaking.

This was not really made as a commentary on the soft break, it's just funny. Or to make fun of Corey in a mean way if he sees this. Funny but not mean, that's my motto. Although I had nothing to do with this, all my kid's idea LOL

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the smartest pool players of this generation. He found ways to revolutionize many of our games and how they are played. It's quite a testament when they have to change the rules because of you. :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My favorite Corey quote
“I don’t make the rules, I just play by them.”

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
One of the smartest pool players of this generation. He found ways to revolutionize many of our games and how they are played. It's quite a testament when they have to change the rules because of you. :thumbup:

It's amazing if you think about it that no one was doing this until Corey came around. Surely someone else at some point must have played with different break speeds? Or maybe if anyone did, they weren't top pros so the impact would have been limited.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing if you think about it that no one was doing this until Corey came around. Surely someone else at some point must have played with different break speeds? Or maybe if anyone did, they weren't top pros so the impact would have been limited.

They probably knew they'd be taken out to the parking lot for trying it... The timing was right for Corey.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was one of Corey's bad breaks. He'll probably have to run that one out instead of playing an early combo on the 9-ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The technique was not possible until tight racks were common. The first tight racks I know of were from Sardo. I think templates were available before then, but not generally available and the automatic wing ball was not discovered with them.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The technique was not possible until tight racks were common. The first tight racks I know of were from Sardo. I think templates were available before then, but not generally available and the automatic wing ball was not discovered with them.

Yep I don’t believe any of this started until the sardo tight rack came along. Getting the exact same rack every time let guys like Cory really study the break.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly-The second best mind for pool who ever lived. He broke the code while no one else was even thinking about it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Corey Deuel destroyed what little there was left of nineballs credibility as a pro-game. I don't hold that against him, he was just too smart for the game. Notice that the video shows 9 ball on a 7 footer. That's not even pool, it's just a joke. You can't blame Corey for exposing it for what it is.

Other than that, he's pulled off all sorts of amazing and creative shots at all games. Even Efren once attributed one of his shots to Corey. He has one of the most powerful strokes in the game, but he rarely has to use the power he has. That should tell you something.

That US open he won with his soft break is pretty much unwatchable. Almost every game ends with an early combo, If that had been allowed to continue, we'd all be playing 10 ball by now, so maybe it would have been a good thing.