SJM's First Visit to this New Forum

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
First, I must express my enthusiasm for the fact that this new forum has been establihsed. Many of us on the forum have shown a sustained passion for 14.1, so to have our own private place to share that passion is great. In my case, that passion dates back to 1969, when I played my first game of 14.1 against my father.

There's little queston in my mind that serious pro and amateur players with great accomplishments, aspirations or both, will have a great experience here, but as I embark on this new journey, I'd like to share one of my hopes for this forum: Respect for Players of All Levels Including Those With Modest Playing Aspirations.

On several occasions, I've seen intermediate players post about game theory, wanting to know how to get a little more out of their games. Far too often, such requests meet with canned answers, such as "go take lessons", "read books", "study videos", along with plugs ad nauseum for the best instructors, instructional materials, books and videos. The truth is that many intermediate players can't or won't do any of these, but can still be given a few tidbits that can help. There is no rule that says an intermediate must aspire to the game's highest heights, and I'm of the opinion that players who want no more than to play just a little better are well worth helping out.

I'll surely participate in some serious threads, but I'd also like to be one of those that offers tidbits to the recreational player that wants to compete a little better on this forum. I will, of course, fail miserably if when I start threads of this nature, the threads are hijacked by serious and accomplished players who bemoan some of the time-tested approaches and tactics I will advocate.

Time for me to get off the soapbox and check out some of the other threads.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Looking forward to hearing more tactical tips SJM, just 1 hour or so with you in NY helped me heaps last year.

climbtrad

Registered
Improving 14.1 Play from C to B

Hi,

Well this post fits nicely into SJM’s hopes for this subforum so let me throw it out there.

I would say I am about a C player and looking for the best road to becoming a B player in the next couple years and hopefully an A player in the next several years. I know there is no magic bullet when it comes to improvement but I am sick of rarely getting into the next rack of 14.1 or getting into the rack and then having my inning end after only 3-4 balls. Can any of you out there enlighten me about what you feel was instrumental in getting you from the C level to B level? Was it drills, lessons, playing better players? All of the above?

First let me briefly explain my current level of play. I have been playing for several years and about three years ago got a Gold Crown table. I play 14.1 about 95% of the time and also a little one pocket and 9-ball. My high run is only 30. :( I will occasionally run out a rack of 9-ball.

Things I have already done:

Books - I have a whole bookshelf. Capelle, Brynes, Fels, etc, etc Have read them cover to cover.
Videos – have over 100 dvds including instructional, accu-stats 14.1, 9 ball etc.
Attending events – watched several pro and amateur events and learned a great deal from watching in person.
Playing better players – this is definitely one I wish I could do more of. Have recently contacted several AZBer’s and will be meeting up for some matches against stronger players in the near future.
Lessons – have a 3 hour lesson coming up in March with Scott Lee
Drills – I have done some but I do find them a little boring

I am in Stamford, CT and I know Amsterdam Billiards in NYC has a 14.1 league and if it were closer to me I would participate in a heartbeat but it’s just a bit far to travel on a regular basis

My goal in all this is to improve my 14.1 play. I want to run into the 20’s more consistently and achieve a high run of 40+ within the next year. I find that although I have a great deal of knowledge about the game I fall short in translating it into execution at the table. Any advice about what got you over the hurdle of B to C would be appreciated.

David

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
climbtrad said:
Improving 14.1 Play from C to B

Hi,

Well this post fits nicely into SJM’s hopes for this subforum so let me throw it out there.

I would say I am about a C player and looking for the best road to becoming a B player in the next couple years and hopefully an A player in the next several years. I know there is no magic bullet when it comes to improvement but I am sick of rarely getting into the next rack of 14.1 or getting into the rack and then having my inning end after only 3-4 balls. Can any of you out there enlighten me about what you feel was instrumental in getting you from the C level to B level? Was it drills, lessons, playing better players? All of the above?

First let me briefly explain my current level of play. I have been playing for several years and about three years ago got a Gold Crown table. I play 14.1 about 95% of the time and also a little one pocket and 9-ball. My high run is only 30. :( I will occasionally run out a rack of 9-ball.

Things I have already done:

Books - I have a whole bookshelf. Capelle, Brynes, Fels, etc, etc Have read them cover to cover.
Videos – have over 100 dvds including instructional, accu-stats 14.1, 9 ball etc.
Attending events – watched several pro and amateur events and learned a great deal from watching in person.
Playing better players – this is definitely one I wish I could do more of. Have recently contacted several AZBer’s and will be meeting up for some matches against stronger players in the near future.
Lessons – have a 3 hour lesson coming up in March with Scott Lee
Drills – I have done some but I do find them a little boring

I am in Stamford, CT and I know Amsterdam Billiards in NYC has a 14.1 league and if it were closer to me I would participate in a heartbeat but it’s just a bit far to travel on a regular basis

My goal in all this is to improve my 14.1 play. I want to run into the 20’s more consistently and achieve a high run of 40+ within the next year. I find that although I have a great deal of knowledge about the game I fall short in translating it into execution at the table. Any advice about what got you over the hurdle of B to C would be appreciated.

David

Assuming your fundamentals are good enough to get you to "B" level, I think what gets you from C to B is changing the order in which you play the balls.

Based on my experience, the C players tend to play the shot that keeps the run going, not the shot that sets up the runout. They leave balls on the rails too often and don't unblock the blocked pockets, so, far too often, they end up with layouts that are too difficult to complete. I can't think of many C players I've ever played against that, in my view, played the balls in, more or less, the right order.

If you have the knowledge, you must reach higher in your shot and table management. The 8 - 9 ball run from an open layout is the staple of the C players, because they tend to gradually trap themselves into difficult positions.

Reading the threads in this forum will help you to make your work a little easier.

climbtrad

Registered
SJM,

Thank you for the advise. I have to agree with you about the shot selection. I frequently run 8-12 balls but as you pointed out as I get down to the last few balls I tend to leave myself with some difficult shots and no easy pattern to get position on the breakball.

A few days ago after watching some straight pool videos I paid close attention to the patterns that were played. The next time I played I tried to clear problems early even though there were some easier shots available. Wouldn't you know it I got into the next rack 4 out of 10 times. This is an improvement for me. Now if I could just get better at controlling the cue ball on my break shots and making those long shots that you sometimes have to make to continue a run.

Will put your advise into action during my match tomorrow.

David

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:
There's little queston i,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Respect for Players of All Levels Including Those With Modest Playing Aspirations.
,,,,,,,,,, Far too often, such ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The truth is that many intermediate players can't or won't do any of these, but can still be given a few tidbits that can help. There is no rule that says an intermediate must aspire to the game's highest heights, and I'm of the opinion that players who want no more than to play just a little better are well worth helping out.,,,,s.

then i will surely expect your stamp on EVERY thread in this forum
.:):)