Do you ever notice a really bad smell coming from your cue?

This might be a really dumb question, but do you ever notice a really bad smell coming from your cue?

Is a really bad smell usually due to a really old dirty, worn wrap, or could it be for other reasons?

Maybe 2nd hand smoke, from smoke filled pool rooms, gets into the wrap, and causes it to stink really bad?

Or maybe cues in general have a bad smell to them?

I do not know, because I never thought to smell my cues in the past, lol.

This old cue that I currently have has a really bad smell to it though, but the wrap looks really old and very dirty, so maybe that is where the bad smell is coming from.

I understand that this is probably a stupid post , and I might get laughed at for asking such a silly question, but I am honestly curious why this cue might smell so bad, and if that is a thing that bothers some pool players , with their cues.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_050104079.jpg
    IMG_20200429_050104079.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be a really dumb question, but do you ever notice a really bad smell coming from your cue?

Is a really bad smell usually due to a really old dirty, worn wrap, or could it be for other reasons?

Maybe 2nd hand smoke, from smoke filled pool rooms, gets into the wrap, and causes it to stink really bad?

Or maybe cues in general have a bad smell to them?

I do not know, because I never thought to smell my cues in the past, lol.

This old cue that I currently have has a really bad smell to it though, but the wrap looks really old and very dirty, so maybe that is where the bad smell is coming from.

I understand that this is probably a stupid post , and I might get laughed at for asking such a silly question, but I am honestly curious why this cue might smell so bad, and if that is a thing that bothers some pool players , with their cues.

Were you by chance scratching your ass before you sniffed the wrap?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes. it is sweat from your hands. It will sometimes smell like urea. It will get into wrap..

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Quarantine binge watching The Soprano's again, just saw the episode where Phil Leotardo's boys whacked Vito over being gay and left him with a pool cue shoved up his ass. Not sure if it was LD or standard maple with more squirt. :eek:

what were we talking about???

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Quarantine binge watching The Soprano's again, just saw the episode where Phil Leotardo's boys whacked Vito over being gay and left him with a pool cue shoved up his ass. Not sure if it was LD or standard maple with more squirt. :eek:

what were we talking about???

Brian,

Thank you so much for your levity! Just what I needed to start my day. How are you doing? Have you fully recovered? Hope you saw SBE has moved dates again. Sure would like to see you there!

Lyn

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF??????????? Never sniffed a cue in 40yrs of playing. This IS a first. I think someone just PEGGED the boredom-meter.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You better sell that cue quick. They stink like that because they fart a lot when they get old.
Soon enough any opponents will blame you for farting, it'll be hard to convince them it's the cue's butt.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
could be worse if you don't keep whitey on the table, you could have a scratch and sniff situation. ;)

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Brian,

Thank you so much for your levity! Just what I needed to start my day. How are you doing? Have you fully recovered? Hope you saw SBE has moved dates again. Sure would like to see you there!

Lyn

Hi Lyn;

Haven't been in a few years but would love to attend this upcoming one in Oct if I can manage it. If I do the first beer or two is on me. :thumbup:

Still not back to baseline but much better than I was, thank you.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Why do you think that dude sold you that cue so cheap?

It's got history, Buddy. Handle with care.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have to stand back when I open those 40 year old Palmer cases. Could be the case.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If anyone has a toolbox with Craftsman screwdrivers in it check out the odor emitting from that puppy, it smells like barf, and not just my toolbox, I have checked many others. It must be something they put in their handles because I have never known steel to be offensive to the olfactory system.

P.S. to stay on topic I will give my cues the sniff test when I get home tonight.