why do some cue makers

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone mentioned that Mr. Searing was humble--here's my story.

At Valley Forge someone pulled out an amazing Searing cue and as I looked at it I said "incredible!". From behind me, I heard, very softly in my ear, "thank-you" and I turned around and it was Dennis (whom I've never met). That made my day!!

KP

thats pretty cool, I think that speaks volumes of Mr. Searings character. Wish we all could be a little more humble in our daily lives.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
People are only speaking of Dennis as a builder of Cues. In a race to 10 on any given day no one has to beat him in a race to 10 as a player.

Dennis also took many years off golf but took it up again as his son will be a Touring Pro Golfer. Dennis won the Championship in his division in Golf this year.

Dennis would be good at anything he did as I have never seen a person with the ability he has to focus.

It aint about being the best, it is about being the best you can be and waking up everyday to improve.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ah yes, I was wondering when John 'Waste-of-Skin' Collins/Barton/Whatever was going to chime in with one of his scumbag cheap shots.

And, just like the "all TW cues warp" bullshit, it's particularly insidious because it's impossible to disprove. For as many decades as I've been in cuemaking I've heard both those claims, at one time or another, used to discredit almost every top cuemaker alive. Anytime someone wants to "get" a particular cuemaker they'll shoot some similar accusation out of their asses.

You can't disprove a negative claim - there's no way any cuemaker can follow all his cues around to know what is (or is NOT) being said about them. But there are a few things I can note in response:

1) Every customer who has bought one of my cues directly from me plays pool - which, by definition, makes them pool players - and most are repeat customers. So it would appear that first hand opinion runs counter to Barton/Collins/Whatever's bullshit.

2) I first met Jerry McWorter at a California tournament where, in a side match up, Kim Davenport was playing Morro (Ismael Perez?) for a $25k freeze-up. Mooro was using one of Jerry's cues, while Davenport was using one of mine (I've never given any player a cue, so he must have bought it himself). So there's at least one world class pool player who thought my cues play okay.

3) I've read several posts over the years (on various forums) written by players who say they like how my cues play, and I've received many letters (early on) and, more recently emails, from pool players who say they like how their TW cues hit. I guess Barton/Collins/Whatever must not talk to those guys much...

Still, no one can disprove a negative cheap shot, and if you build cues long enough I can guarantee someone who wants to "dis" you will be laying that kind of shit on you too. So I'll just have to fall back on one indisputable ( and comforting) fact - I still sell every cue I can possibly make.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And while I'm at it I'll make one other point. I'm an American citizen - have been all my life - and I firmly believe one of the major causes of the dismal American economy is all the low-cost goods flooding the U.S. from cheap-labor countries like China. American manufacturing is all but dead because we've allowed cheap knock-offs of American products past our borders with no import tax and little concern for their quality.

In Xiamen, China - where JB Cases are made - the average monthly income is just over $300 (usd). By contrast the average American family spends over $500 per month on groceries alone. There is no way an American factory worker can survive on the same income as a Chinese worker. That means - indisputably - any American citizen who intentionally buys Chinese-made goods (when they have readily available American-made choices) is contributing to the decline of American manufacturing.

Now, I realize with WalMart being the largest retail chain in the U.S. (and many others following suit) there is no way to completely avoid Chinese made products. As a country we've clearly come to accept cheap prices over good quality. But now this compromise is starting to bite us in the ass. Why, just the other day I bought a ~ $10 bag of zip-ties at Home Depot, only to have them snap like dry twigs the minute I tried to use them. Obviously, the Chinese zip-tie manufacturer had substituted inferior plastic for the pure Nylon they should have used. Home Depot refunded my money, and it's only U.S.-made zip-ties for me from now on (Thomas & Betts, to be exact)

So I would urge every patriotic American citizen to buy only American made products whenever possible. If you're not part of the solution, then you're unarguably part of the problem - and a good first step might just be to NOT spend your discretionary income on a cue case made in China, especially when there are plenty of world-class case makers right here in the good ol' USA.

TW

Ah yes the old wave the flag to deflect from the real point tactic.

Well as long as we are there I will tell you a story I find particularly amusing and which ironically fits the discussion perfectly.

In 1998 I was in Taiwan. I was taken on a tour of three cue factories. At the second one I saw some decal cues with your designs on them and I mentioned it to the owner that it was a copy. He thinks I am refering to the quality and says but ours is better.

He then takes me into his office where he has a rack filled with brand name cues. He proudly pulls a Thomas Wayne cue off the rack and rolls if on the table to show me the warp.

I really had nothing more to say to him about it at that moment. I can only imagine that he had done the same demonstration for many visitors. Shame that your cue was one of the ones in that rack.

Later at a pool room I pulled out my Ted Harris and told my friend that I had taken it around the world twice and it stayed dead straight.

As for your comment about some player using your cue so what? More world titles have been won by players using meuccis and cuetecs than yours so by your logic those must then be better.

You don't want to go up against searing on the hit. You will get robbed when 10 of 10 players pick his cue in a blind test.

Sorry but that is how it is. You build nice ornate cues that have a so so hit.

No amount of deflection will change that.

Edit: To add to this I mentioned YOUR name specifically upon seeing the copies because I knew that you were litigious about your designs and I wanted to tell the factory owner that it would be better for his customers if they did not copy known designs. It was just funny that he happened to have a genuine (and warped in the butt and shaft) Thomas Wayne in his office. Those sneaky Asians with their let's buy and study the competition's stuff mentality.

Furthermore Thomas you might sell everything you can make but that doesn't mean what you make is great. As grandaddy used to say there is an ass for every seat. Meucci outsold everyone for years and Cuetec might be the number one selling cue in the world. The other night a guy ran out on me with a Cuetec so I have to think he could have done it with a Thomas Wayne cue as well. Fact is that you build closet queens and by reports on this and many other message boards over the years you do NOT stand behind your work and you keep cues sent back to you for years. There have been many reports of your cues developing problems or having workmanship issues and often you come over the top with a million insults to your customers if I remember it right.

Funny thing is that I looked up to you for many years as the guru of design in cues. I have fondly told the story of having a conversation with you when a player came up to you and asked for sponsorship asking you if you knew how many cues you could sell if you sponsored him and you replied, "could it be more than I can make which is what I sell now?" I have talked about how much I respect your innovations in cue making. But the fact is that while you are a great decorator you are not a great cue maker.

If you want to prove that you are and that your cues have and hold value then build a plain cue like Dennis Searing's and put it up for sale. I will bet that your cue does not go for even half the money that Dennis' brings.

Lastly, while you are busy encouraging everyone to "buy American" as your only tiny overdone shot at me I have to ask if you happily accepted all that Asian money for your cues? Here you are relegated to the "others" category on Lucky's site http://www.ilovecues.com/cuemakers/others/p1.html I don't suppose you ever stopped to consider where the money came from to buy your cues do you? Are you an expert economist as well? When you charge $20,000 or $100,000 for a cue then where do you think the money comes from? It comes from industry and commerce and trading worldwide. So you particularly benefit from a global economy when the money that wealthy people make gets spent on the cues you make. Which makes your hypocrisy even more repugnant.

Did you take Lucky's money or tell him to buy Japanese and support his own economy? I didn't think so. I am positive that if someone shows up at the ICCS who looks Chinese and has a fistful of cash you will welcome him like a long time friend and not question him where his money comes from.

Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roundness by TW... must be a sign of laziness...

IMG_4162-1.jpg

uc09-002A.jpg

DSC00976.JPG

DSC00979.JPG

Wayne

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would not say the cue maker was lazy.

But if you are looking for opinions, those are some very ugly round pointed diamonds.

SLIM

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
People are only speaking of Dennis as a builder of Cues. In a race to 10 on any given day no one has to beat him in a race to 10 as a player.

Dennis also took many years off golf but took it up again as his son will be a Touring Pro Golfer. Dennis won the Championship in his division in Golf this year.

Dennis would be good at anything he did as I have never seen a person with the ability he has to focus.

It aint about being the best, it is about being the best you can be and waking up everyday to improve.

Exactly right.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
What are the jagged edges bordering the diamond here on the this TW cue?

Is that normal? Laziness? Magnification effect?

DSC00979.JPG

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one of the warped cues, I referred to , was sold to hawaiian brians to establish a dealer for tw cues
thomas took it back to alaska promising to fix it

after some years of no response from tw ,i returned the money in full to the buyer
the cue was never repaired or returned and I lost over $1000

i have several hall of fame cue makers who can certify that in response thomas threaten to beat me up in a cue show in Houston

so i am not trying to prove a negative

all of this is public knowledge as are several of his other ranting episodes

so now he jumps on john barton for living in china, or dennis searing for
making better cues or etc

it doesn't take a genius to see that thomas is not a kind person,nor is he ashamed of
attempting to defame others for
little reason,or no reason at all

if someone could remember the Leonard Bludworth episode for us all.it would be a story
worth reading

this is my thread so lets review
i asked a simple question about rounded inlays

that question has been handled and explained to everyone's satisfaction,but a few malcontents

thomas hijacked the thread and used it as an opportunity to malign another person for his own selfish reasons
his anger grew to the point of involving poor thin skinned soft spoken John Barton
I felt it necessary to defend John
this brought forth the rest of my story,there is much more, but unless any of you can not see the problem , the good guys and the bad guys in the story,then more info wouldn't help

since it appears that every living cue maker has improved his work and it is not fair to judge him by his earlier cues,or even a single indiscretion , i suggest that the matter is not worthy of more discussion

if matters of character actually mean anything to you,i believe there is enough said here to settle the matter for anyone with eyes to see

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Jamie, I could've sworn you've seen this one as well...

forearmroundedinlays.jpg

Guys, in TW's defense, the slight 'roundness' works in the design of this cue. He made several with those same style of points and tips. The other examples above, well.....not so much. :eek:

As for the rest of all this, there really is no logical reasoning for what's been said here, with so many of TW's earlier examples out there under his signature with more egregiously rounded inlay work. I'm shocked that such a legend of cuemaking design would critique another maker's work in such a fashion. Totally shocking...

Sean (doesn't care much for rounded inlays either)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Guys, in TW's defense, the slight 'roundness' works in the design of this cue. He made several with those same style of points and tips. The other examples above, well.....not so much. :eek:

As for the rest of all this, there really is no logical reasoning for what's been said here, with so many of TW's earlier examples out there under his signature with more egregiously rounded inlay work. I'm shocked that such a legend of cuemaking design would critique another maker's work in such a fashion. Totally shocking...

Sean (doesn't care much for rounded inlays either)

Don't be shocked, he did the same thing to Mike Lambros as well. I don't know for sure but Thomas' over sized ego is possibly part of why Cuezilla is now gone from it's original form.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

You can take a true stand if you want. It starts by getting rid of anything that came from any other country which again includes any wood not grown in this Country.

[...]

That is the equivalent of saying; "The only way to lose weight is to quit eating any food until you reach your goal". It would work – insofar as you would lose weight - but it could very well be fatal.

Now, a different approach - one based in common sense - is to cut back in moderation. For example, several years ago I saw Dan Janes for the first time in a while and it was obvious he had slimmed down significantly. I asked him how he did it and he said (at his wife’s suggestion) he’d simply cut out all dairy products from his daily diet. No ridiculous starvation approach, just a slight change in habit in one small area of his life.

Another friend used a similar approach in which he cut out "bread" (pasta, pizza crust, hamburger buns, etc.). Again, no blitzkrieg all-or-nothing nonsense... just a small simple change.

There is no healthy instant weight loss solution, regardless of the various contraptions and pills hawked on late-night TV. You didn't get fat overnight, you can't slim down overnight. As Americans living among hundreds of thousands of box stores that sell almost NO American-made products it's virtually impossible to instantly quit buying anything not domestically produced, and to suggest that’s the only way is just plain silly.

But we CAN begin to change our habits slowly – in small increments - and the first, obvious place to do that is with our discretionary purchases. If you can afford the non-food non-clothing non-shelter non-necessary LUXURY of a new pool cue case then you can afford to have that be a cue case made in America. Here are a few American makers...

Nittany Leather
Whitten
On Q Cases
Dennis Swift
Jack Justis
Steve Price
Roger Taft
Phil Eastwood
Rusty Melton

... and there are DOZENS more. I don’t know even a fraction of the U.S. case makers, but this might be a great time for all patriotic AMERICAN AZB members to list their favorite domestic case makers.

A great wall is not built overnight, but rather is built brick by brick – just as a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Small changes in our spending habits, over time can result in great improvements for our country. It’s foolish to suggest our only salvation is to immediately quit buying anything not made/grown/produced in this country – no one can do that... not IMMEDIATELY that is.

But if we are to be saved as a country we have to start somewhere. And for pool players, that somewhere can begin right here and right now. If you can afford to buy a new cue case and are planning to do so, take a long hard look at American case makers. Surely you can find one with the style, quality, and price that fits your needs – and you can sleep better at night knowing you’ve taken that first step toward saving your own country’s economy.

When my wife and I are out in public, if we see uniformed military personnel we take a moment to thank them for their service to our country. Doesn’t matter if they’re a frontline combatant or a cook at Camp Lejeune, they serve to protect and preserve our country and our freedom, and they have earned our sincere gratitude. In the same manner, when you make that conscious decision to buy an American cue case – instead of one made in China - you can give yourself simple silent thanks for your service to our country.

TW

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black:rolleyes:

Not quite. I am willing to stand up at any show and take my cases apart in comparison to anyone else's to back up what I say. I highly doubt Thomas is willing to do that.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
When my wife and I are out in public, if we see uniformed military personnel we take a moment to thank them for their service to our country. Doesn’t matter if they’re a frontline combatant or a cook at Camp Lejeune, they serve to protect and preserve our country and our freedom, and they have earned our sincere gratitude. In the same manner, when you make that conscious decision to buy an American cue case – instead of one made in China - you can give yourself simple silent thanks for your service to our country.

TW[/B][/SIZE]

You're welcome. What branch did you serve in? I was in the Air Force. Seems to me that I swore to defend the Constitution which among other things includes the freedom to choose where to live and work.

By the way the same list of makers you have put forth is available every day on my website;

http://www.jbcases.com/aboutus.html

And by the same token if one wants a well crafted cue made by a cue maker who stands behind the work then there are literally hundreds of alternatives to a Thomas Wayne cue. In America and elsewhere.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite. I am willing to stand up at any show and take my cases apart in comparison to anyone else's to back up what I say. [...].

Well when you take your case apart be sure and show them the prominent "MADE IN CHINA" label required by U.S. federal law.

Out of curiosity, how much do you pay your Chinese laborers? Do they get up to the local average of ~ $300 per month? Slightly less... slightly more? Are you REAL generous and give them a $1/month raise every six months or so?

TW

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Phenomenal work indeed, Thomas. I'm glad to see that your craft has advanced as your experience unfolds. Please extend the same understanding to your fellow cuemaker as I'm certain you can understand that everyone didn't start off at a master level - including yourself, as noted in this thread.

By the way, "St Patrick's Nightmare" is one of my favorite cues of all time... just wished that it had some shafts to go with it...

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well when you take your case apart be sure and show them the prominent "MADE IN CHINA" label required by U.S. federal law.

Out of curiosity, how much do you pay your Chinese laborers? Do they get up to the local average of ~ $300 per month? Slightly less... slightly more? Are you REAL generous and give them a $1/month raise every six months or so?

TW[/B][/SIZE]

No problem.

I don't pay my staff. Don't you keep up with the news on az? I have slaves chained to their machines who get fishheads if they produce enough.

Where is your warranty policy, also required by law in many states?

www.jbcases.com