State Champions - Do we agree on status?

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that in order to be a true state champion:
You must win and be a current resident of that state and all players in the tournament must be residents as well. Thoughts...

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State champ

You must win and be a current resident of that state and all players in the tournament must be residents as well. Thoughts...
. Sorry I do not agree. Many of the past and present winners have lived and shot pool in tri states areas and won in different states where they lived in. Many do not have state tournaments in their home state. However Good topic to discuss. Regards

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louisiana doesn't have a state tournament, unless you think you're good enough to snap off the Super 9-ball event at White Diamond.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Puckett always claimed to be the champion of Arkansas...

...or whatever state was one or two states away from whatever bar he was playing in.

After cleaning out the bar he would explain "I said I was the champion of Arkansas".

But as for real state tournaments, I have not seen any with a residency requirement, not do I think it would be a good idea. Heck, in Texas, if you live in Lubbock, you need a three-day vacation to drive to a one-day event in Houston. Distances are much shorter for players near the east coast - they can play in four or five states without having to book a room more than one night.

And Alaska, well I would bet the champion of Alaska *is* a resident of Alaska, just because of the travel distances involved.

As for Arizona and Nevada, the price of air fare to Phoenix or Las Vegas is almost always extremely high, which could restrict entries from distant states.

There are all kinds of ways to get around residency requirements. For years, Texas high school football was a mess, what with all the alumni and coaches trying to finagle ways to get the family of good players to have an address in the feeder area of whatever high school they wanted want them to play for. Odessa Permian was one of the worst of these, but before the state broke the system Permian high school football teams had won a six-pack of state championships and two National titles, plus several near-wins.

It was rumored that some players in their 20s quit their oilfield jobs to go back and play for Permian again, because it paid better...

So I vote for 'no residency requirements' simply because it will add one more layer of potential controversy which Pool does no need.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree, otherwise its not a "state championship" its a "regional tournament"

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, and... NO.

In real sports there is the concept of 'Open'(as in US Open) and Closed.

Open tournaments are open to all - closed are restricted to a specific group, like residents.

Pay your money, take your choice

Dale

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State - Tenn

Tennessee verifies you have a TN driver's license or you don't play...period. Great idea.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tennessee verifies you have a TN driver's license or you don't play...period. Great idea.

Soo...if you live in Tennessee and don't drive, you can't play? :confused:

I think the Texas State championship is the longest running tournament in the USA....
...Bob Vanover, a Texas resident has won it the most, but it has been won by a few non-
Texans.

clydeNbonnie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't the Virginia state championship require residency in the state to enter its tourney? Brandon shuff would know.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State championships?????

I kind of think these tournaments are just haphazardly started by local promoters and called the state championship because nobody else has one for that state. There is no official umbrella to unify all the states into a national system (holly sh1t that was some pun!). Each local guy can make whatever rules he wants.

It would certainly be nice if there was a tiered system, set by a national governing body. Something like:
Local halls would qualify players for a state championship.
The state championship would produce 1 winner
Each state champion would compete in a 50 player national champion.

Alas, pool is completely disorganized, and nothing like the above will ever happen. Today, the states that have a state championship tournament, that tournament is nothing more than a regional Mezz event, or Planet Pool event, or Joss event, etc.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is pretty much how North Dakota does theres as well. I live in Colorado now and this isn't a requirement for theirs. I'm kind of torn on the idea, but think I side a bit more with having to be a resident of the state. As someone else mentioned, if you are playing a "State Championship" and many players are playing from different states, it's slightly more of a regional thing and just another big tourney.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State championships?????

I kind of think these tournaments are just haphazardly started by local promoters and called the state championship because nobody else has one for that state. ...

I agree on both counts stated within this thread:

TO OP

Residency requirements? Total b.s. This has nothing to do with the game itself.
So, (thinking on a larger scale) are you going to nullify all the championships (world, country, regional, state, etc.) that are won by non-residents?

This is a world sport, remember?
Requirement to adhere to local status before a player can claim said local tournament is just plain silly.

TO THIS POST

I agree when (specifically) state tourneys are promoted it is simply at their discretion to call it whatever they want. Enough said.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
I agree that it's hard to define a State Championship without qualifying language, such as BCA State Champion, etc.

Personally, I'm glad the Texas Open is open to anybody from any state or country.

So, (thinking on a larger scale) are you going to nullify all the championships (world, country, regional, state, etc.) that are won by non-residents?

No offense, boogeyman, but I had to chuckle a little bit at the thought of nullifying a world championship title due to non-residency. :)

-Blake

View attachment 391148

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sioux City, IA is a good example for this. Suppose you live in SD, work in NE and do most of your shopping in IA. And the league you play in has locations in each state.

I think it would be completely legit to play in each state tournament.

The requirement in SD is to have a minimum number of league matches played.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Puckett always claimed to be the champion of Arkansas...

...or whatever state was one or two states away from whatever bar he was playing in.

After cleaning out the bar he would explain "I said I was the champion of Arkansas".

But as for real state tournaments, I have not seen any with a residency requirement, not do I think it would be a good idea. Heck, in Texas, if you live in Lubbock, you need a three-day vacation to drive to a one-day event in Houston. Distances are much shorter for players near the east coast - they can play in four or five states without having to book a room more than one night.

And Alaska, well I would bet the champion of Alaska *is* a resident of Alaska, just because of the travel distances involved.

As for Arizona and Nevada, the price of air fare to Phoenix or Las Vegas is almost always extremely high, which could restrict entries from distant states.

There are all kinds of ways to get around residency requirements. For years, Texas high school football was a mess, what with all the alumni and coaches trying to finagle ways to get the family of good players to have an address in the feeder area of whatever high school they wanted want them to play for. Odessa Permian was one of the worst of these, but before the state broke the system Permian high school football teams had won a six-pack of state championships and two National titles, plus several near-wins.

It was rumored that some players in their 20s quit their oilfield jobs to go back and play for Permian again, because it paid better...

So I vote for 'no residency requirements' simply because it will add one more layer of potential controversy which Pool does no need.

Off topic,

I remember all the crap parents would put their kids through out in Odessa/Midland a while back. The parents were holding the kids back an extra year in middle school to get an extra year of growth before entering high school to play football.

I remember reading a report from a doctor who had developed a synthetic growth hormone. After the report was published, he said he received 1500 phone calls in the first week from parents from the Odessa/Midland area wanting to get their kids on it to play football.

How seriously screwed up do you have to be as a parent to put your kid on a untested growth hormone so they can "make the team"?

Stones

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite tournaments of the year is the Missouri Amateur State 9 ball (there used to be an 8 ball version too). You have to be from Missouri to play and have a valid ID. It's on the 9 foot tables and around here (KC area) almost all tournaments are on the bar table. The format is also a bit different with 2 rounds of round robin play followed by a double elimination finals bracket. Phil has ran this tournament for 25 years or so. It's successful because it can fill up (80) players almost every year.

I can see where a state tournament that doesn't draw enough participation would benefit from open status. But, in this instance, it seems to work out well and draws most of the best players in the state minus a few (pro's) over the years. I can see the benefit of running state tournaments both ways.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Because you must play a pre-determined amount of matches to qualify for State, our state championship winners are 98% living within IL. There are enough pool playing states that surround IL, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Iowa, I don't think anyone wants to drive several hours 6-8 times just to qualify for state when they can play in their home state for a state tournament.