When you talk to non-pool people

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through a Facebook group and a picture there reminded me of a something that happened a some years ago.

I walk into a video rental place (remember those?) and asked if they had The Hustler. "We don't have those kinds of movies" I was told.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through a Facebook group and a picture there reminded me of a something that happened a some years ago.

I walk into a video rental place (remember those?) and asked if they had The Hustler. "We don't have those kinds of movies" I was told.
Heard there was a new pool movie comin' out, "Deep Shelf". ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, and it should further be noted that "A Bridge too Far" is not a pool film.

The film "Earthquake" does not pertain to Keith McCready.

Also, the TV show called "The Rifleman" has nothing to do with Buddy Hall.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Niiiice!.......

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I don't expect everyone to know what my industry-specific terms mean either. Congratulations on feeling smug again.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I thought it was funny.

I loved the video store...star video ours was called. The guy that worked there thought it was funny that a kid would try to rent R rated movies so he always let me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The video store is alive and well.

If you're looking for bob, that would be a good place to start.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I don't expect everyone to know what my industry-specific terms mean either. Congratulations on feeling smug again.

The Hustler received nine Academy Award nominations. The film won two, for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White (Harry Horner and Gene Callahan) and Best Cinematography, Black-and-White (Eugen Schüfftan). The film was also nominated for Best Picture and Newman was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Gleason and Scott were both nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role; Scott refused the nomination. Laurie was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Rossen received nominations for Best Director and, with Carroll, for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.[27]

Newman was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor. Gleason and Scott were each nominated for Best Supporting Actor and Scott was also nominated as Best New Star of the Year.[28] At the 1962 BAFTA Awards, The Hustler tied with the Soviet film Ballad of a Soldier for Best Film from Any Source. Newman won for Best Foreign Actor and Piper Laurie was nominated for Best Foreign Actress.[29] Gleason was honored as Best Supporting Actor by the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures and the film was named among the Board's ten best films of 1961.[30] Rossen was named Best Director by the New York Film Critics Circle Awards[31] and Rossen and Carroll shared the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Written Drama.[32]

American Film Institute Lists
AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies - Nominated[33]
AFI's 100 Years...100 Thrills - Nominated[34]
AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes and Villains:
Bert Gordon - Nominated Villain[35]
AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes:
"Eddie, you're a born loser." - Nominated[36]
AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) - Nominated[37]
AFI's 10 Top 10 - #6 Sports Film

Seems to me like the guy at the video store was lacking in HIS industry specific knowledge.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I told a stranger at a pool hall once "you need to use more English"

that didn't end well :grin-square::grin-square::slap:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I walked into a Walmart one time with a friend, and we found they had some pool cues for sale. You could only tell that they were pool cues because they had a tip on one end, otherwise we might have mistaken them for mop handles, or table legs, or broomsticks with no broom on the end.

A sales person walked over and asked if he could help us. "Do you have any Gus Szamboti pool cues?" we asked. He said, "Why yes, I think we do!" and went in the back to check. We had a good laugh, and when he came back out he said, "Sorry, we're all sold out."

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I walked into a Walmart one time with a friend, and we found they had some pool cues for sale. You could only tell that they were pool cues because they had a tip on one end, otherwise we might have mistaken them for mop handles, or table legs, or broomsticks with no broom on the end.

A sales person walked over and asked if he could help us. "Do you have any Gus Szamboti pool cues?" we asked. He said, "Why yes, I think we do!" and went in the back to check. We had a good laugh, and when he came back out he said, "Sorry, we're all sold out."

LOL! :rotflmao:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Who wants to hear a story about a bridge...

I think I know that one.....A Bridge Too Far

23DE3FF3-A2C3-4952-A6AD-0D7BE5D48BC0.jpeg