Mr 600

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

ok.. time to do something constructive..

:)

Lol the only person being laughed at is your ridiculous post that made no sense. Either you were drunk when you posted or your computer time was up at the old folks home.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's already screwed up and there's no turning back

serious doubt has been cast on an exhibition record that very few people care about to begin with

his greed and attempt to monetize this effort (legit or not) has cost him

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
John's already screwed up and there's no turning back

serious doubt has been cast on an exhibition record that very few people care about to begin with

his greed and attempt to monetize this effort (legit or not) has cost him

I don't know about serious doubt. We just wanna see damn it all! I'm sure other players and people he's close with have seen it and no matter what they said at the time, if it wasn't a clean run there would be whispers by witnesses

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The money for this would have been from making the full attempt a PPV that you can login at any time to check on. With this long between the deed and the video, I don't see many sales at all.

I am sure many people would have donated 20,50 bucks to watch the thing happen as it was happening. What I would have tried to do was do a PPV logon with various tiers, $20 a month, $50 for the whole time, and then just played. Once that was done, then make a video and put it up somewhere for sale. I doubt more than a 100 people nationwide would buy this as a DVD.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The money for this would have been from making the full attempt a PPV that you can login at any time to check on. With this long between the deed and the video, I don't see many sales at all.

I am sure many people would have donated 20,50 bucks to watch the thing happen as it was happening. What I would have tried to do was do a PPV logon with various tiers, $20 a month, $50 for the whole time, and then just played. Once that was done, then make a video and put it up somewhere for sale. I doubt more than a 100 people nationwide would buy this as a DVD.

I would buy the video in a downloadable format if it were available but unfortunately you're right, people just don't care. The news has come and gone and people have moved on.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I care.

The news is still here (to wit...all of us posting here)

And WE are all still here

- and I agree with you, jimbo- I would buy the video as well. Any price.

~ K.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I care.

The news is still here (to wit...all of posting here)

And WE are all still here

- and I agree with you, jimbo- I would buy the video as well. Any price.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree....Willie’s run was still getting lotsa press over six decades later....
...I’d still like to see that run.

I’d like a format where I could watch the 626 in four parts...aint sitting for four hours.
...but I WILL pay.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I'd still buy it... but yeah, the moment has definitely passed and that's going to cost him/Pred.

The production on this thing as well as the advertising is going to need to be steller and the cost of that, they would be lucky to break even at this point.

Like I said before, if marketing it was even an small thought before or during the months of John's attempts, Pred should have gave John some equipment and helped him with the recording angle an they have should have been ready to dress it up and put it out there immediately after John's successful run.

On top of the delay, a big shadow of doubt has been cast on this. Personally, I don't think John would lie and I believe he broke the record. I do think there may be something strange about the video, which is another reason why it's taking so long.

Sorry if it's been answered, but has anyone in an official capacity (whatever that is in the Pool world) watched the video and verified the run yet?

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
it's so easy

It's really not that hard to get it up.

I was checking out the video stuff on my demo site pool-hall.com. Integrating a Pay Per View item is really easy and the customer can pay with just about any method of currency.

Looks like about $20 a month for the streaming service or you can build the streamer (I would) and it's game on for live streams, replays, etc, there is even a TV Show module.

I'm actually shocked how easy it is now.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he is going to sell it on discs it takes a while to print them. Accustats always has a delay getting the DCC stuff ready.

I would say John has done a poor job of promoting the videos and explaining the delay but I'll be a buyer when it is released. Better at pool than promotion but I'm a fan.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Sorry if it's been answered, but has anyone in an official capacity (whatever that is in the Pool world) watched the video and verified the run yet?

I chatted with Phil Capelle. He says the BCA has watched it and signed off on it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... On top of the delay, a big shadow of doubt has been cast on this. Personally, I don't think John would lie and I believe he broke the record. I do think there may be something strange about the video, which is another reason why it's taking so long.

From the August Billiards Digest (Doug Desmond was John's racker and a backer):

"It appears that the Billiard Congress of America, recognized keeper of the sport's official rules and records, has found no fault with Schmidt's run. In early June, Desmond flew to the BCA office in Colorado with the unedited videotape. BCA officials Rob Johnson and Shane Tyree watched the entire four-hour plus video, and while no official statement has been released, the BCA is expected to recognize Schmidt's effort as a 'record exhibition high run.' It is also expected that the run will be submitted to the Guiness Book of Records. ... An edited (for time) version of the video has been prepared but has yet to be released."

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"It appears that the Billiard Congress of America, recognized keeper of the sport's official rules and records, has found no fault with Schmidt's run. In early June, Desmond flew to the BCA office in Colorado with the unedited videotape. BCA officials Rob Johnson and Shane Tyree watched the entire four-hour plus video, and while no official statement has been released, the BCA is expected to recognize Schmidt's effort as a 'record exhibition high run.' It is also expected that the run will be submitted to the Guiness Book of Records. ... An edited (for time) version of the video has been prepared but has yet to be released."
We have no reason to believe this is untrue, but in that case then what are Johnson, Tyree, and the BCA waiting for?

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My hope is that they are getting some good commentators for it...and I think it would be sweet to put this on Prime Video or something...but a DVD would work too, which would allow for extended cuts with discussions, etc.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The BCA statement has been released:

Billiard Congress of America
303-243-5070
shane@bca-pool.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

John Schmidt Breaks Willie Mosconi's 65-Year-Old 14.1 High Run Record

Superior, Colo., August, 15, 2019 - The Billiard Congress of America would like to formally congratulate John Schmidt on his 14.1 exhibition high run of 626 balls, breaking Willie Mosconi's 65-year-old record of 526 balls.

On March 19, 1954 William J. Mosconi, playing in the East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio, ran 526 balls in an exhibition match against Earl "Jake" Bruney. Mosconi's run lasted approximately 4.5 hours and was played on an oversized 4' x 8' Brunswick Exposition Table.

On May 27, 2019 John Schmidt, playing in the Easy Street Billiards Pool Hall in Monterey, California, ran 626 balls. Schmidt's run, recorded on video, lasted just over 4 hours and was played on a 4.5' x 9' Rebco Pocket Billiard Table on Simonis 760 cloth with 5" corner pocket openings, and 5.5" side pocket openings. Schmidt used Super Aramith Pro Belgian billiard balls, a Sardo rack, a Predator P3 Red Butt along with a Predator Revo 12.4 mm carbon composite shaft that weighed 19.5 oz and had a length of 58".

Mosconi's record took place during a 14.1 exhibition match. Having defeated his opponent, Mosconi kept shooting until he reached 526. Schmidt's record took place during an intentional attempt to break Mosconi's record. After viewing the unedited video, the Billiard Congress of America is proud to acknowledge John Schmidt's 626 run as the new 14.1 exhibition high run record.

About Billiard Congress of America
Founded in 1948, the Billiard Congress of America is a non-profit trade organization dedicated to growing a united, prosperous and highly regarded billiard industry through Billiard Congress of America leadership. The Billiard Congress of America seeks to enhance the success of its members and promote the game of billiards though educational, marketing and promotional efforts, annual industry trade shows and other programs designed to encourage billiards as a lifestyle and make pool everybody's game. For more information, visit bca-pool.com or call 303.243.5070.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Interesting how they mention the pocket size on John's run but not Mosconi's. Seems like they're hating a little. The fact that John's run was on a 9'er is more impressive to me despite the pocket size, just on sheer number of balls if nothing else. They should say how big the pockets were on that 8'er if they're going to bring it up at all. Congrats, John!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting how they mention the pocket size on John's run but not Mosconi's. Seems like they're hating a little. The fact that John's run was on a 9'er is more impressive to me despite the pocket size, just on sheer number of balls if nothing else. They should say how big the pockets were on that 8'er if they're going to bring it up at all. Congrats, John!

I didn't get that impression at all, but that is why we are all different:) I actually thought they mentioned the equipment specs because they are known. Whereas on Mosconi's run, they only mentioned what was known, such as table size. Everything else about mosconi's equipment is wild guesses it seems to me. I like that they kept everything factual, with no speculations.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I'm gonna have to disagree. The BCA has recognized John's run without reservation, and I think it's right of them to record all the details: a) the date, b) the place where the run occurred, c) the size of the table, and d) the size of the pockets. This fully documents the run and may prove to be useful information to anyone aspiring to top John's run and interesting to fans of the game. The details on Mosconi's run no longer matter as the record belongs to John.

On this forum, we've often bemoaned pool's lax effort in keeping its records. To me, this seems a step in the right direction.