Reviving Bonus Ball

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really understood the total negative reaction to BB. I rather enjoyed it. It was another attempt at gaining some interest in cue sports. There is more to this game than just the "chosen" games. It reminds me of rotation games coming into their own when straight pool was the "only" game that was respected.

Don't even try it!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonus ball had some thunder.

Capturing lighting in a bottle is easy when you know its been bottled up for a while.

Instead of committing to an arena I think it should be a road show that includes locals and a few road players.

Its a real business plan with potential.

I don't think anyone was interested in Bonus Ball outside of the players and promoters. The rest were curious if it would work.

I think the only way a thing like that would work with teams is if they went by region and played 8 ball and maybe setup games in malls like they do in Asia.

I watched something recently that said "novel new ideas are often good as a mental exercise but fail in the real world". It is fun to think about a new game with new rules and teams, but at the end, people want to play in their APA league with 8 ball LOL

We have had leagues that tried straight pool, one pocket, etc... and all failed. The stuff that gets people is the stuff that people are already used to.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I don't think anyone was interested in Bonus Ball outside of the players and promoters. The rest were curious if it would work.

I think the only way a thing like that would work with teams is if they went by region and played 8 ball and maybe setup games in malls like they do in Asia.

I watched something recently that said "novel new ideas are often good as a mental exercise but fail in the real world". It is fun to think about a new game with new rules and teams, but at the end, people want to play in their APA league with 8 ball LOL

We have had leagues that tried straight pool, one pocket, etc... and all failed. The stuff that gets people is the stuff that people are already used to.

My non pool buddies that show mild interest have trouble thinking they arent getting hustled. Bonus ball is new enough that a new generation can claim it as their own and not have to endure learning traditions at the start

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Bonus ball had some thunder.

Capturing lighting in a bottle is easy when you know its been bottled up for a while.

Instead of committing to an arena I think it should be a road show that includes locals and a few road players.

Its a real business plan with potential.

I don't think an idea to "take it on the road" qualifies as "a business plan".

How do you fund the expense of a traveling cast and crew the size of a Broadway production playing for a few thousand (or hundred) people ?

Regardless, the big failure was the game itself. It was not easy to go play it in a bar or hall, or even at home, due to the unique ball sets. They reinvented the only part of pool that wasn't broken.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlietango7

Registered
I agree, I really liked it, but did not figure it out until the end... The best Pro match I have ever watched. I don't play it much.... a little to hard to keep track of the game. I have said if I will the big lotto I am going to give CSI half of it or so... around 100m to restart Bonus Ball ... and limit the matches to one per week....

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked part of the Bonus Ball idea. But I like 9-Ball &10-Ball for short match play.

I didn't like the format of the players living in one City... Getting the Cities to pump up the rivalry part, would give it some interest. Maybe even the Media could help out with that...

If the VISITING Players come into your City's Pool room, with some fanfare, there will be some interest... at least there will be here in Tulsa & maybe OK City, because we are Pool Playing Towns. Same goes for Ft Worth & Dallas.

Plus, when the players come to town, everybody that is an action player will be there, to see if any action rubs off on him...

We are the AUDIENCE..! WE & our MONEY are why they want to generate the interest, because it's good for the Game.... I remember when I was a kid, when Arnie & Fat Jack finished on the last 18th hole, Me & little Brother were headed for Lake Arlington Golf Course. Same goes for today, so as soon as I've watched a good TV Pool Tournament, I'm headed for the Pool Hall. I'm one of the folks that 's been in LOVE with Pool, for 60 Plus years. I don't want it to go away...

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think an idea to "take it on the road" qualifies as "a business plan".

How do you fund the expense of a traveling cast and crew the size of a Broadway production playing for a few thousand (or hundred) people ?

Regardless, the big failure was the game itself. It was not easy to go play it in a bar or hall, or even at home, due to the unique ball sets. They reinvented the only part of pool that wasn't broken.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I mean to quote this in my above post.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
‘Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.’

Shakespeare

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A new game that combines elements of pocketing skills, carom 3 or 2 cushion and some snooker skills.

The idea behind the thread is to include the best skills of different games and see which technqiues prove most useful.

Bonus ball is dead but the game is due some innovations or new styles of play.

I am hoping someone invents a cue tip that doesnt need chalking. And a way to easily repair ripped cloth on pool tables, and quick fixes for dead rails.