Shane Vanboening vs Jayson Shaw

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Negative, Shane has lost only one race to 100 and that was to Alex.

Sorry, but I am not the only one that knows about Chang prevailing in a race to 100. Cornerman, one of the very few that follows the pool scene as closely as I do, posted the following in May about Shane:

Didn't he already lose a set to 100 against Chang? And Shane lost to Alex in a race to 100 when Shane was clearly the better player.

The difference, in Freddie's eyes, and mine too, was that Alex won as an underdog. JL Chang is not an underdog in an action match to any player alive, and even Shane, through his actions, has shown he knows it.

Not every match is streamed, particularly action matches that are played in Asia. Just because neither you nor I watched Chang's race to 100 win over Shane, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What 9ft did Earl drill him on? seem's to me Shane horse f##$%d Earl on the 9fts, 100-60 the first time they played����
That still does not take away he bent Shane over on the 10 ft table and had him in wondering why he took on the big one , I thought for a moment he was going to cry

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If Shane can play vs Chang the way he played Shaw,
I'd like him to win vs anyone.

No doubt, he'd be in with a chance. As fans, it's the match we want. Let's hope we get it ---- in America. As noted previously, they've never raced to 100 on American soil.

As Herodotus noted in Ancient Greece, "the past is history." In my opinion, three guys represent the first tier of our game right now when it comes to the action scene, and that would be JL Chang, Josh Filler and Shane Van Boening.

Any time two of these three match up in a streamed match, the winner will always be ..... the fans.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That still does not take away he bent Shane over on the 10 ft table and had him in wondering why he took on the big one , I thought for a moment he was going to cry

It's pretty apparent to me that you don't know a gaffe table when you see one, Earl couldn't beat Shane on a real pool table if his life depended on it

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are losing track of the real story about this match :eek:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=498398

What’s the real story there ? Any smoking gun yet that they did not really play for such sums and that no such money changed hands? :D

No doubt, he'd be in with a chance. As fans, it's the match we want. Let's hope we get it ---- in America. As noted previously, they've never raced to 100 on American soil.

As Herodotus noted in Ancient Greece, "the past is history." In my opinion, three guys represent the first tier of our game right now when it comes to the action scene, and that would be JL Chang, Josh Filler and Shane Van Boening.

Any time two of these three match up in a streamed match, the winner will always be ..... the fans.

In his brief interview with JJ after his match with Shaw, Shane said something like I want to call out to Chang to play race to 125 for $20K or $30K.
So it is race to 125 which would probably be longest race ever in recent years- I don’t recall any race to more than 100. 125 would take a crazy long 4 days. Still much prefer big tournaments over such long one to one races to xxxxxxx.
Right now, Chang is the one to beat in long races.
I would also throw Orcullo in with those 3 as top tier in money games cos he has higher gear in money games than tournaments.
:smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In his brief interview with JJ after his match with Shaw, Shane said something like I want to call out to Chang to play race to 125 for $20K or $30K. So it is race to 125 which would probably be longest race ever in recent years- I don’t recall any race to more than 100. 125 would take a crazy long 4 days. Still much prefer big tournaments over such long one to one races to xxxxxxx. Right now, Chang is the one to beat in long races.
I would also throw Orcullo in with those 3 as top tier in money games cos he has higher gear in money games than tournaments.
:smile:

The bark is for show, but it's great marketing if Shane really wants this match. Everyone at the Derby watched Shane duck Chang. If he feels better about the match up now, good for Shane, but why would he, given that he lost a race to fifty by a score of 50-43 to Chang in May.

Hope it happens. In a race to 125, my guess is Shane can bet a lot more than 20-30K if he wants. The JL Chang gang likes to bet it up real high. My guess is they would want to bet a minimum of 30K, but they'll likely want to bet much more than that if they have to fade the travel expenses. Seems the next opportunity for a match-up would be after the International 9-ball event in Chesapeake in October, but who's to say whether this works with either of their schedules?

Like you, I don't recall any race to more than 100 in the history of streamed pool. I know I'd probably wait until at least day three to start watching the stream of a race to 125, as I don't have it in me to watch a match of this length.

If this match happens, it's a certainty that the winner will be .... the fans.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So it is race to 125 which would probably be longest race ever in recent years- I don’t recall any race to more than 100. 125 would take a crazy long 4 days. .../QUOTE]

It's still recent (in geologic time) -- Reyes defeated Strickland 120-117 in 3 days in 1996 in Hong Kong.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The bark is for show, but it's great marketing if Shane really wants this match. Everyone at the Derby watched Shane duck Chang. If he feels better about the match up now, good for Shane, but why would he, given that he lost a race to fifty by a score of 50-43 to Chang in May.

Hope it happens. In a race to 125, my guess is Shane can bet a lot more than 20-30K if he wants. The JL Chang gang likes to bet it up real high. My guess is they would want to bet a minimum of 30K, but they'll likely want to bet much more than that if they have to fade the travel expenses. Seems the next opportunity for a match-up would be after the International 9-ball event in Chesapeake in October, but who's to say whether this works with either of their schedules?

Like you, I don't recall any race to more than 100 in the history of streamed pool. I know I'd probably wait until at least day three to start watching the stream of a race to 125, as I don't have it in me to watch a match of this length.

If this match happens, it's a certainty that the winner will be .... the fans.
Was Shane ducking Chang, or could be that they couldn't come to terms to play at that time. And since when is a race to 50 an indicator as to how a race to 100 would turn out? 50-43 is only the halfway point last time I checked, and as it was pointed out, of the last 15 games they played, Shane won 12 of them, Chang won 3. So no, that don't decide who's going to win to 100.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was Shane ducking Chang, or could be that they couldn't come to terms to play at that time. And since when is a race to 50 an indicator as to how a race to 100 would turn out? 50-43 is only the halfway point last time I checked, and as it was pointed out, of the last 15 games they played, Shane won 12 of them, Chang won 3. So no, that don't decide who's going to win to 100.

I think it's in error to assume that SVB would have won twelve of the last fifteen racks if they'd been going to 100 rather than 50. It's human nature to let up near the finish line when you are winning easily (hell, even Usain Bolt does it over and over at the Olympics), and I am reading nothing into Shane's futile attempt, at 45-31, at, winning 19-4 from that point on.

That said, though, the past is history and we know that the next time they match up either can win.

Sounds like you weren't at the Derby. There was a standing offer at the Derby from Day 1 for JL Chang to play a marathon race against anybody there for 30K. Chang's team was begging all the top guys to take a shot. There were no takers, and that includes Shane and Filler. The game didn't happen, it had nothing to do with the terms.

As for the logistics, they all had a nine day window to play the match and a table in Big Truck's action room on which to play it whenever they wanted it. Both SVB and JL Chang fell early Saturday in the nine ball, so there was a big window of opportunity for the match until the very end. More likely, the match didn't happen because of the bet size, which SVB and his backers could have easily put up, but it was not a bet they wanted to make.

On Day 8 of the Derby, at nearly midnight, the Chang team gave up, as nobody would play Chang the high stakes match he wanted. Josh Filler agreed to play Chang a ten ball race to 17, but the bet was more like 5K (perhaps nearly twice that if one includes the side bets). Filler won it, 17-14, playing what Jeremy Jones, who commentated it, described to me as "some of the best pool I've ever seen".

I think it's time for you and me to put this debate to bed. You are a very informed poster and you follow the pro pool scene very closely. I greatly respect your opinion, and maybe you are right here. There's really nothing wrong with the two of us seeing things differently here. Agree to disagree.

... but what we agree on is that we want to see them play again.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can watch 1p matches to 40, no problem. but rotation games get really monotonous when watching up to 199 racks with the same two players.

I don't know man- I was getting pumped up just reading the updates on here. I wasn't even watching but just reading about Shaw reeling him in and then Shane pulling it out...shoot, I almost bought the PPV at 1030 Sunday night!