UPA is a joke. Stay away. ( rant )

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got recruited to play in UPA masters. I didn't really wanna do it. One of the league operators tried texting me again saying they just need 1 more player and the payouts are great. "Think of it as a long tournament not a league". Ok fine. How does it work? Race to 4 on a barbox alternate breaks. If you win you get 10 points. Whoever gets the most points at the end of the season gets the cash. Ok I'm in.

I show up, I play, ( the other LO is competing as well ). I ask one of the LOs: "does it matter if I win 4-3 or 4-0? He goes no, it's just 10 points per match. Ok cool. I beat the LO. He holds a piece of paper on the table and goes print your name here. I print. He goes here too. Print or sign? He goes "it doesn't matter, whatever you want". So I print.

After a month and a half of this I text the LO to see if there's a way for me to look up the standings somewhere. She texts me a link and a password of some sort. I look up my score. It says I'm in second place but my score ends with like a 47. Makes no sense. ( The website btw is super confusing. I have a college degree. Took me forever just to find the scores ).

Well I ask the LO they say there are bonus points one gets if they are on time, etc. I'm like I've always been on time and actually had to wait half an hour for one of the players. Turns out I didn't date that paper he held. I had no idea I was supposed to date it and had I known it could affect my standing I would have studied that paper for half an hour. I'm a perfectionist. Well the guy in first place is a semi-pro ( Fargo over 700 ). I was up on him 3-2. He then made the sickest shot I've ever seen in my life ( blew my mind ) to tie it up. Then he broke and ran out. So he beat me 4-3 but now with the stupid date points there would be no way for me to catch him. Not saying I'm all that and better than other players, just talking about what's fair. It's a short race, they are all runout players.

I told both LOs in person and they sort of smiled and laughed it off. I played again last week and I just didn't wanna be there. My last game I broke and runout and scratched on the 8 and said to myself why am I here. I told the LO I don't think I was treated fairly I'm done with UPA. He said you have to pay for the rest of the unplayed matches. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a bad loser but if I smell BS I'm out. It's gotta be fair.

I texted the other LO the next day that I'm out and she said we feel bad she said we can't give you the 3 points back but we'll pay you out of our pocket extra cash if you come 3 points short. Well, I make plenty of money from my businesses. League money is not real money. If I'm doing a tournament I'm doing it to challenge myself and place high. Bragging rights, etc. I don't need their charity.

Just called UPA headquarters and they basically praised my LO and said how nice of her to offer me cash out of her pocket and that it was my responsibility to somehow learn about the bonus points system from some website I've never heard of.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right but never again. How in the world do you not tell your player that one can get 20 points per match not 10?! Only 8 players in the Masters division including the LO. We see each other all the time. Chat all the time. I specifically asked. Both LOs. Twice. In person. Via texts. To me it felt either intentional or they have no idea what they are doing. Either way I'm out. Both of LOs seemed cool in person but after this incident unfortunately we couldn't find a solution that worked for both of us. No hard feelings. The corporate UPA lady sounded like a parking attendant. Just a heads up to serious players considering UPA masters.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPA is a joke, John's still not released the 626, the APA is a joke, Sev still hasn't posted his 100,000th post, and Helena passed away...

What the hell is going on??

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
This forum should have it's own channel titled:

This Week in Whining

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the guy in first place is a semi-pro ( Fargo over 700 ). I was up on him 3-2. He then made the sickest shot I've ever seen in my life ( blew my mind ) to tie it up.

sorry you had a bad experience..sure sounds shady..what was the shot tho:D

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This forum should have it's own channel titled:

This Week in Whining

His post was well written with well thought out information on a league that isn't discussed ad nauseam. If anything your whining about whining that isn't whining, is the worst kind of whining.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got recruited to play in UPA masters. I didn't really wanna do it. One of the league operators tried texting me again saying they just need 1 more player and the payouts are great. "Think of it as a long tournament not a league". Ok fine. How does it work? Race to 4 on a barbox alternate breaks. If you win you get 10 points. Whoever gets the most points at the end of the season gets the cash. Ok I'm in.

I show up, I play, ( the other LO is competing as well ). I ask one of the LOs: "does it matter if I win 4-3 or 4-0? He goes no, it's just 10 points per match. Ok cool. I beat the LO. He holds a piece of paper on the table and goes print your name here. I print. He goes here too. Print or sign? He goes "it doesn't matter, whatever you want". So I print.

After a month and a half of this I text the LO to see if there's a way for me to look up the standings somewhere. She texts me a link and a password of some sort. I look up my score. It says I'm in second place but my score ends with like a 47. Makes no sense. ( The website btw is super confusing. I have a college degree. Took me forever just to find the scores ).

Well I ask the LO they say there are bonus points one gets if they are on time, etc. I'm like I've always been on time and actually had to wait half an hour for one of the players. Turns out I didn't date that paper he held. I had no idea I was supposed to date it and had I known it could affect my standing I would have studied that paper for half an hour. I'm a perfectionist. Well the guy in first place is a semi-pro ( Fargo over 700 ). I was up on him 3-2. He then made the sickest shot I've ever seen in my life ( blew my mind ) to tie it up. Then he broke and ran out. So he beat me 4-3 but now with the stupid date points there would be no way for me to catch him. Not saying I'm all that and better than other players, just talking about what's fair. It's a short race, they are all runout players.

I told both LOs in person and they sort of smiled and laughed it off. I played again last week and I just didn't wanna be there. My last game I broke and runout and scratched on the 8 and said to myself why am I here. I told the LO I don't think I was treated fairly I'm done with UPA. He said you have to pay for the rest of the unplayed matches. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a bad loser but if I smell BS I'm out. It's gotta be fair.

I texted the other LO the next day that I'm out and she said we feel bad she said we can't give you the 3 points back but we'll pay you out of our pocket extra cash if you come 3 points short. Well, I make plenty of money from my businesses. League money is not real money. If I'm doing a tournament I'm doing it to challenge myself and place high. Bragging rights, etc. I don't need their charity.

Just called UPA headquarters and they basically praised my LO and said how nice of her to offer me cash out of her pocket and that it was my responsibility to somehow learn about the bonus points system from some website I've never heard of.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right but never again. How in the world do you not tell your player that one can get 20 points per match not 10?! Only 8 players in the Masters division including the LO. We see each other all the time. Chat all the time. I specifically asked. Both LOs. Twice. In person. Via texts. To me it felt either intentional or they have no idea what they are doing. Either way I'm out. Both of LOs seemed cool in person but after this incident unfortunately we couldn't find a solution that worked for both of us. No hard feelings. The corporate UPA lady sounded like a parking attendant. Just a heads up to serious players considering UPA masters.

This is how pool players are. They knew you were new, they knew how important these "extra" points are and took advantage of it. Really its a strange thing to do, give brownie points for good behavior (being on time), I mean why not have a chart with stickers like 4th grade. Sins of omission are unacceptable.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry you had a bad experience..sure sounds shady..what was the shot tho:D

IMG_6321.jpg

I was on the hill, I broke, ran to the 8 and hung it up really deep in the pocket. His stripe was frozen next to it and all of his balls were on the other side of the table don't remember exactly where but no hangers. I assumed he was gonna play some sort of a lock up safety since the 8 was so deep in the pocket or bank it. I guess he didn't want me kicking. He shoots one of the balls on the other side, goes 3 rails and tries to get between the 8 and the frozen ball. He makes the ball but doesn't get there. He tries again. This time he makes another long tough shot, goes 3 rails through all the traffic, and lands between the 8 and the stripe with just enough angle to move the whitey out of there. :eek: He then runs out, takes a break, comes back with a different cue and breaks and runs for the win. I was really pissed and really impressed at the same time.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have thought that part of being a perfectionist would include ascertaining what the rules were ahead of time.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're right. The more I think about it the more I think it was intentional. I think something like a dress code rule is fine like the CSI collared shirts requirement but ones you're competing no points should be deducted for paperwork, that's ridiculous.

This is how pool players are. They knew you were new, they knew how important these "extra" points are and took advantage of it. Really its a strange thing to do, give brownie points for good behavior (being on time), I mean why not have a chart with stickers like 4th grade. Sins of omission are unacceptable.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 527946

I was on the hill, I broke, ran to the 8 and hung it up really deep in the pocket. His stripe was frozen next to it and all of his balls were on the other side of the table don't remember exactly where but no hangers. I assumed he was gonna play some sort of a lock up safety since the 8 was so deep in the pocket or bank it. I guess he didn't want me kicking. He shoots one of the balls on the other side, goes 3 rails and tries to get between the 8 and the frozen ball. He makes the ball but doesn't get there. He tries again. This time he makes another long tough shot, goes 3 rails through all the traffic, and lands between the 8 and the stripe with just enough angle to move the whitey out of there. :eek: He then runs out, takes a break, comes back with a different cue and breaks and runs for the win. I was really pissed and really impressed at the same time.

Was this at Jerry's in Pasadena?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in my op I asked both LOs the rules multiple times. They never mentioned the extra 10 points one gets for paperwork and being on time. They literally said it's very simple, you win you get 10 points, the most points at the end of the season gets the cash. I also asked how much is 1st place and he wouldn't tell me. He made it sound like it's really complicated and it depends. They are collecting fees every week from players, it shouldn't be hidden. Another reason I'm done with UPA masters.

I would have thought that part of being a perfectionist would include ascertaining what the rules were ahead of time.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't say but just PM'd you, not gonna blast them online in the off chance this is somehow a misunderstanding.

PM'd you back. I don't really know anybody or care either way, just saw the out you described the player make in person and thought it was a funny coincidence.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean Jakes? hasnt been there for years. Something about walking downstairs into a room gave it a mystique that was beyond the normal Colorado St. scene.

Don't know Jakes. Just moved to the area recently. Pretty sure Jerry's is there though as I hit some balls there yesterday.