«Winning One Pocket» & «Shots, Moves & Strategies»

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I was on Ebay looking around, and noticed that the book «Winning One Pocket» is for sale for $ 850.

Luckily I bought the book from the author himself 8 years ago, and the «Shots, Moves & Strategies». I thought it was pricey back then, but I have to admit I got it cheap compared to prices demanded on Ebay. I’ve got some fine copies I’m very happy with it. (Picture attached)

Well, the reason I’m writing. Why are these books so rare and pricey? No intention of printing more?

What’s the story?

Attachments

• 88A8D9C0-E48D-4A6B-87BA-D0EE2E92DCAE.jpg
    88A8D9C0-E48D-4A6B-87BA-D0EE2E92DCAE.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 354

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was on Ebay looking around, and noticed that the book «Winning One Pocket» is for sale for $ 850.

Luckily I bought the book from the author himself 8 years ago, and the «Shots, Moves & Strategies». I thought it was pricey back then, but I have to admit I got it cheap compared to prices demanded on Ebay. I’ve got some fine copies I’m very happy with it. (Picture attached)

Well, the reason I’m writing. Why are these books so rare and pricey? No intention of printing more?

What’s the story?

Hi Roy. They're out of print, they are the best books on 1pocket, they're leather bound (a rarity when it comes to pool literature), and as people have begun to treasure them, it's made finding the two volumes a bit harder. Sure, every once in a while Eddie "discovers" a carton of them under his floor boards, but they're generally tough to come by.

Having said all that, I believe a truer market price for each book would be in the $300-$400 range.

Lou Figueroa

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s expensive because it’s rare. It’s not Gold
A demand gets prices. I have a new in “Open” box Target Pool by Kim Davenport. Bought it for $19. It currently sells for $150-$200. Maybe I'll list it for $500 on eBay and start a trend.
May I suggest to the younger players ... get a copy or 2 of Tom Wirth’s “OnePocket ... A Game of Controlled Aggression” for less than $70. It is a future collectible. They were not mass produced. There are not 1000’s floating around. Hoard a few. Plan for the future.

Last edited:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Thanks guys. My intentions are to pick up a cue again sometimes in the future, so I won’t sell. I just got curious about the story.

I think I bought them for $ 250, but not sure. But even if I sold them for same amount $ I bought them for 8 years ago, I would still make around 30 % profit because of the currency rate. Anyway, I think I’ll put them away for another 10-20 years ;-)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for prices, there is a discussion in another thread right now about a W1P that is being offered for $12,000. Some people ask crazy prices for books and sometimes they find crazy (or ignorant) buyers.

For current prices, I think you would be lucky to get all three books for $700 now. Here are some current prices you can find online:

3C -- $350 (now on used.addall.com, a book search site)
W1P -- $350 (available on Ebay right now, but it's the starting price of an auction with no bids yet)
SMS -- $200 (three copies available on used.addall.com for $200 and under)

With only one or two books available at the minimum prices, as soon as those are sold, the prices might go up. There are not a lot of the books coming onto the market.

The books are bound in "leatherette" which is imitation leather. This looks like the exact product that was used on some of the bindings: https://www.hollanders.com/index.php/imitation-leather-dark-red-crushed.html

For both of the one pocket books there were some copies that had facsimiles of the co-authors signatures stamped in the front. Those often go for a little higher price.

There was also a limited special run done of 32 numbered sets of the one pocket books that were actually signed by the original authors. Those were bound in a gold-colored material that is said to be lizard skin but the material is so uniform that I suspect it is also a synthetic. I have a set that I would like to sell if anyone is interested. The original price from Eddie was $500/book or $1000 for the set.

Last edited: