Predator shaft advice

cgyacht

Registered
I have played with every generation of Predator shaft including the Revo, they're all
good shafts and they are kind of like selecting a chalk - it comes down to a personal preference.
I do tend to like the Z series as they are a thinner shaft and if you get it from Seyberts
and you have it 'S' Tuned I think the adjustment period isn't quite as long. But if I may,
I do like the Predator shafts and depending on who you ask the reputation is good or bad,
but if I might give you some real advice after having tried the many Predator Shafts I
have tried I can sum up good advice in about three words - Jacoby Hybrid Edge.
But that's just me. They each have good and bad. Opinions vary

Thanks for the info!
What is "s" tuned?

cgyacht

Registered
With that being said and being a beginner pool player, will I see a big difference going to a REVO from the 314-3, as I did with going from GCore to 314-3,or should I wait until I learn the game better?

I have been playing with Predator shafts for probably 10 years now. I have played with the 314-3 for the last couple of years. I switched to the Revo about 6 months ago, but I don't fee it has made me any better. I really like the solid hit with the Revo, but switching from a low deflection to a near zero deflection shaft is an adjustment.

My advice is to buy the Revo now if you have the money. You are already adjusting to a new shaft, so why go through that process twice. However, I WOULD NOT anticipate a huge jump in your game.

I hope that helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will try one out for sure. If I like it I will buy it. If not then that is 500 bucks more towards my home table. :smile:

cgyacht

Registered
Just play with what you have.

500 for a revo won't do anything for you.

There's one that will up your game and its free. (w/home table)

It's called a lot of practice.

Go watch the video of DD beating the 12b ghost.
He quit using a revo and went back to a maple shaft.

It's the Indian and not the arrow.

Understood about the practice. Getting some home remodeling and making a billiard room. Then I will get my own table.

That will make practicing way easier for sure as time at home is limited because of work and if I then go 3 or 4 nights to practice plus starting my first league on Sunday I might be divorced quickly. HAHA.

Cheers,

Charles

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member
Hello All,

I am a beginner player of only a few months. I went from a No name Walmart cue to a McDermott G436 with G-core shaft. Huge difference in pocketed balls, consistency and control..

A few weeks later tried a 314-3 predator shaft and really was astounded. So I bought an Icon3-5 with a 314-3 shaft. Again a marked difference in pocketed balls, speed control and cue ball control (Still not good but that is me and not the equipment) Only had it about 2 weeks so far but love it.

With that being said and being a beginner pool player, will I see a big difference going to a REVO from the 314-3, as I did with going from GCore to 314-3,or should I wait until I learn the game better?

Interested in your opinions. Thanks.

Cheers,

Charles
I have been playing for 32 years. In that time span, I have gone from Meucci Original to Schon to Schon-OB to OB-OB and now to Predator Throne-Revo. Throughout all of those changes, I think the cue performance gains are marginal, but difference in feel is significant. Personally, I found very little performance gain with the Revo and have found the adjustment to the feel of the Revo to be difficult. It sounds different, the feel of the hit is different, and the feel of the carbon on your skin feels different. However, I do appreciate that it is ding proof and very consistent regardless of conditions (temperaure, humidity, etc.). One thing over the years that I have found makes a fairly significant difference in feel, performance, consistency, and longevity is the advancement in tips ... I like Kamui Black. The important thing though is that if new equipment keeps you interested in the game and playing more, then that will for sure make a better player. So, if you want it and can sweat the price, then go for it.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Thanks for the info!
What is "s" tuned?

S-Tuned (‘S’ is for Seyberts, I guess) ‘S’ Tuned is an adjustment that Seyberts makes
to the Predator shafts without violating the warranty with the permission of Predator.
In the old days of Predator the 314 and I think the 314-2, and the original Z had
the traditional American pro taper. The Z-2 saw the advent of the Euro conical taper.
When Predator began to offer the conical taper people wanted the upgrade but not
everyone liked the conical taper, so Seyberts began to offer the conical shafts, but with a
pro taper. As I understand it this is something they do there in their shop.
I have a couple of the Z-2 that are S Tuned, I love them, but the truth is I’d still rather
play with the Jacoby Hybrid Edge or the Jacoby Ultra Pro. The Predators are really
great shafts, the Jacobys are dynamite

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite Celophanewrap. All of the "S-tuning" on Predator shafts is done by Lance Cowles, in his shop at Cuesports of Battle Creek. If you want the real scoop on what s-tuning is, you can ask him directly. He posts here as Bossman69. He also does all of Seybert's custom wrap work, including all of the stacked wraps. He's also a Master Instructor in the PBIA, and one of the top instructors in the USA. Get the info from the horse's mouth!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

S-Tuned (‘S’ is for Seyberts, I guess) ‘S’ Tuned is an adjustment that Seyberts makes to the Predator shafts without violating the warranty with the permission of Predator. In the old days of Predator the 314 and I think the 314-2, and the original Z had the traditional American pro taper. The Z-2 saw the advent of the Euro conical taper. When Predator began to offer the conical taper people wanted the upgrade but not everyone liked the conical taper, so Seyberts began to offer the conical shafts, but with a pro taper. As I understand it this is something they do there in their shop. I have a couple of the Z-2 that are S Tuned, I love them, but the truth is I’d still rather play with the Jacoby Hybrid Edge or the Jacoby Ultra Pro. The Predators are really great shafts, the Jacobys are dynamite

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All,

I am a beginner player of only a few months. I went from a No name Walmart cue to a McDermott G436 with G-core shaft. Huge difference in pocketed balls, consistency and control..

A few weeks later tried a 314-3 predator shaft and really was astounded. So I bought an Icon3-5 with a 314-3 shaft. Again a marked difference in pocketed balls, speed control and cue ball control (Still not good but that is me and not the equipment) Only had it about 2 weeks so far but love it.

Cheers,

Charles

Charles, keep the following in mind when you ask for advice about the should or shouldn't carbon fiber/laminated shafts........vs........ plain maple shaft::::

A LOT of people have paid a LOT of money for certain cues JUST BECAUSE "insert name here", made them.

Well, not all but MOST of those folks bought those cues as an INVESTMENT.

Example...... your a Ford dealer, I ask if I should buy a mustang or a Honda accord....what are you gonna suggest?....hmmm?....lol...
A FORD....of course!

Well, going from what I told you above....how are you gonna be comfortable with "anyone's advice"?

Lol

Having said that, it sounds like your not worried about value being stable, climbing or falling over time. If that's the case:

I would for sure gi with a CF shaft. Which carbon fiber shaft? Well, there's the rub. A lot of the CF shafts play similar but, some of them are very different.

If I were you, I would keep what I had for now. Upgrade "your game" some more and then, when the market is more customer friendly for CF shafts, I would at that point do more research and buy one of the brands.

At this point, the best "for me", considering PERFORMANCE only.....things such as:

DEFLECTION
POWER TRANSFER
CONSISTENCY
ETC...ETC....

is the revo 12.4.

Again, based solely on PERFORMANCE!!!!

I dont give a RAT'S A55 about:

SOUND
FEEL
LOOKS
RESALE VALUE
ETC...ETC....

All I care is, does the OB go in the hole and does whitey stop where I want him to? Simple....

Rake

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion ability to set priorities correctly and concentrate on what is important most is one of the keys. I have some experience as a player and a coach too and I'm 100% sure for somebody who just started to learn the game several months ago consistency is not his strong quality and that is just a common thing. Consistency depends much more on how you're doing something, how much time you put in, attitude and so on and much less what kind of cue you're using. For a beginner level player it is much more important to learn how to shoot straight, control the speed, see the natural paths as often as possible and so on. It is better to master basic shots and the more you play on the vertical axis of the CB and the less you use side spins the better. Learning to control the speed first is much more important.
You already have a great tool to learn the game with and if you have possibility to put a table at home that would be much more effective. Passion about the game and more and more practice time at the table are much higher gears to the improvement then any new shaft or cue.
When I started to learn the game in the university at the billiard faculty in the group of 16 students for my first year I've used a standard 20$ house cue so as the others. If I had better results during tests that was much more due to my passion and more practice time because I've used any possibility to play. One year later I've got my first simple 250$ PJ Prather cue and in one more year I was able to win my first national due to the factors I've already mentioned.
Once you master really important aspects of the game you'll have much better knowledge what exactly you want from the cue and need much less advises if any which to choose. By that time the situation on the market I'm sure is going to change when the options to choose from go up so as the quality and the prices go down and you'll be a better player to choose what you want.
PS: this and such threads are just one more example of modern marketing policy of production companies and it seems to me that modern pool is heading not exactly in the right direction. There are more and more new blood in the game looking for a magic pills to help them coming to the next level and these companies are happy to offer one better then the other. It's not a secret that exactly this million army of learning players and not top pros are the real goal of production companies. It is obvious why and the sad news most of pool fans thinking thats is just great for the sport...but look back in the 1999 when I was passioned by Efren's game at WPC the first prize was what...how much? Now the same most prestigious tourney offers how much to the winner and that is with all this "revolution"? The best thing happened on a pool scene lately ...Matchroom seems to come back more and more. I just miss those old good years when I was thrilled by Efren's game, when the knowledge and such much more important stuff were more valuable.
In modern times they just say "Ignite your limits..." and so on.

Last edited:

cgyacht

Registered
Charles, keep the following in mind when you ask for advice about the should or shouldn't carbon fiber/laminated shafts........vs........ plain maple shaft::::

A LOT of people have paid a LOT of money for certain cues JUST BECAUSE "insert name here", made them.

Well, not all but MOST of those folks bought those cues as an INVESTMENT.

Example...... your a Ford dealer, I ask if I should buy a mustang or a Honda accord....what are you gonna suggest?....hmmm?....lol...
A FORD....of course!

Well, going from what I told you above....how are you gonna be comfortable with "anyone's advice"?

Lol

Having said that, it sounds like your not worried about value being stable, climbing or falling over time. If that's the case:

I would for sure gi with a CF shaft. Which carbon fiber shaft? Well, there's the rub. A lot of the CF shafts play similar but, some of them are very different.

If I were you, I would keep what I had for now. Upgrade "your game" some more and then, when the market is more customer friendly for CF shafts, I would at that point do more research and buy one of the brands.

At this point, the best "for me", considering PERFORMANCE only.....things such as:

DEFLECTION
POWER TRANSFER
CONSISTENCY
ETC...ETC....

is the revo 12.4.

Again, based solely on PERFORMANCE!!!!

I dont give a RAT'S A55 about:

SOUND
FEEL
LOOKS
RESALE VALUE
ETC...ETC....

All I care is, does the OB go in the hole and does whitey stop where I want him to? Simple....

Rake

Hi Rake,
Thanks for the response and advice. I am not worried about value at all. Pool is what I am using as my new Hobby and that thing that lets you turn off the rest of the world when you practice/play. For me it is just about enjoyment and getting better. Inner competition lets say. As well as meeting new and interesting people. That is why I joined and start my first league this Sunday.

I bought the set up I have, Predator IKON 3-5 with the 314-3 on how I like the feel of it. (In my little experience of course ) This for me is most important.

And hopefully one of these days "whitey" will go where I want it too. Right now he is being stubborn!!! HAHA!!

Cheers

Charles

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post...and spot on! :thumbup: I can't tell you how many players will spend $500+ on a shaft, or $2000+ on a new (insert brand name here) cue...but refuse to spend any significant money on learning how to play! That's nearly as idiotic (imo) as the common thought, "If you can't beat me, you can't teach me!) :eek::grin:

Scott Lee

In my opinion ability to set priorities correctly and concentrate on what is important most is one of the keys. I have some experience as a player and a coach too and I'm 100% sure for somebody who just started to learn the game several months ago consistency is not his strong quality and that is just a common thing. Consistency depends much more on how you're doing something, how much time you put in, attitude and so on and much less what kind of cue you're using. For a beginner level player it is much more important to learn how to shoot straight, control the speed, see the natural paths as often as possible and so on. It is better to master basic shots and the more you play on the vertical axis of the CB and the less you use side spins the better. Learning to control the speed first is much more important.
You already have a great tool to learn the game with and if you have possibility to put a table at home that would be much more effective. Passion about the game and more and more practice time at the table are much higher gears to the improvement then any new shaft or cue.
When I started to learn the game in the university at the billiard faculty in the group of 16 students for my first year I've used a standard 20$ house cue so as the others. If I had better results during tests that was much more due to my passion and more practice time because I've used any possibility to play. One year later I've got my first simple 250$ PJ Prather cue and in one more year I was able to win my first national due to the factors I've already mentioned.
Once you master really important aspects of the game you'll have much better knowledge what exactly you want from the cue and need much less advises if any which to choose. By that time the situation on the market I'm sure is going to change when the options to choose from go up so as the quality and the prices go down and you'll be a better player to choose what you want.
PS: this and such threads are just one more example of modern marketing policy of production companies and it seems to me that modern pool is heading not exactly in the right direction. There are more and more new blood in the game looking for a magic pills to help them coming to the next level and these companies are happy to offer one better then the other. It's not a secret that exactly this million army of learning players and not top pros are the real goal of production companies. It is obvious why and the sad news most of pool fans thinking thats is just great for the sport...but look back in the 1999 when I was passioned by Efren's game at WPC the first prize was what...how much? Now the same most prestigious tourney offers how much to the winner and that is with all this "revolution"? The best thing happened on a pool scene lately ...Matchroom seems to come back more and more. I just miss those old good years when I was thrilled by Efren's game, when the knowledge and such much more important stuff were more valuable.
In modern times they just say "Ignite your limits..." and so on.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post...and spot on! :thumbup: I can't tell you how many players will spend $500+ on a shaft, or $2000+ on a new (insert brand name here) cue...but refuse to spend any significant money on learning how to play! That's nearly as idiotic (imo) as the common thought, "If you can't beat me, you can't teach me!) :eek::grin:

Scott Lee
Thanks and unfortunately very often that's a reality of nowadays in pool. Laziness and curiousity are in the nature of so many... Those marketers of modern companies know this very good and they earn their daily bread.
I believe pool is waiting for some better organizers who will see the whole picture much better thinking more about the future of our truely loved sport. To be satisfied that it is still alive is not the best in the world motivation.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All,

Cheers,

Charles

The main difference in your performance is likely confidence. You think the equipment will help you play better so you do. A great player could probably play well with a broom handle. In fact Meucci attaches their shaft to a broom handle and compares it to a Predator in a video. Certainly the Butt doesn't matter much. Tor Lowry demonstrates a low deflection cue then switches to a "basic $100 cue" and does the same demonstration.

Feeling good about our equipment and our game is a big part. I play with one player, in particular, who is always talking about his Predator. He thinks it makes a huge difference, so to him it probably does. Go with what feels good to you and gives you confidence. DR. Dave says he doesn't think the carbon fiber shaft makes any difference in his play but he uses one anyway. He says it is because it is easier to keep clean but I suspect he uses it "just in case" it might matter and he probably gets them free. :thumbup:

cgyacht

Registered
Thanks and unfortunately very often that's a reality of nowadays in pool. Laziness and curiousity are in the nature of so many... Those marketers of modern companies know this very good and they earn their daily bread.
I believe pool is waiting for some better organizers who will see the whole picture much better thinking more about the future of our truely loved sport. To be satisfied that it is still alive is not the best in the world motivation.

Thanks for the reply,

I understand his and your point as well.
I have joined a league and played my first match. It was a lot of fun. I also am setting up some instruction starting this weekend as well so I look forward to that and eventually to get a table in my house. I have the room for it and hope to have this squared away by the end of this year or sooner if possible.

Really enjoying this game/sport so far and most people I have met and/or conversed with are very nice and helpful.

Hardest part is finding time to practice. Which will hopefully be alleviated with having a table at home.

Cheers,

Charles

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply,

I understand his and your point as well.
I have joined a league and played my first match. It was a lot of fun. I also am setting up some instruction starting this weekend as well so I look forward to that and eventually to get a table in my house. I have the room for it and hope to have this squared away by the end of this year or sooner if possible.

Really enjoying this game/sport so far and most people I have met and/or conversed with are very nice and helpful.

Hardest part is finding time to practice. Which will hopefully be alleviated with having a table at home.

Cheers,

Charles
One of the biggest positives nowadays there are much more possibilities to learn the game. So much more useful information and various possibilities are available now then it was 20 years ago. As I said in my first post the success very much depends on the ability to set the priorities right. So I wish you to get the table in your house, focus more on the process and enjoy it. Good coaching might save you quite a bit of your time. This forum is also a good place to ask the right questions.
I wish you good luck and have fun).

cgyacht

Registered
One of the biggest positives nowadays there are much more possibilities to learn the game. So much more useful information and various possibilities are available now then it was 20 years ago. As I said in my first post the success very much depends on the ability to set the priorities right. So I wish you to get the table in your house, focus more on the process and enjoy it. Good coaching might save you quite a bit of your time. This forum is also a good place to ask the right questions.
I wish you good luck and have fun).

Thank you very much S.

That is greatly appreciated.