Joss Cues

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
Personally...I think the Joss Cue is the BEST I've owned to date. My Skill level has soared!! I'm 10 for 10 this session in APA.

The hit is different from the wood to wood joints. Took me a while to get used to a harder hit, due to the non wood joint. But once I adjusted...WOW!!

I get so many compliments on the Cocobolo wood and great insets. I should've bought a Joss sooner. I odered it directly from Dan Janes. Great guy to deal with. Customized everything for me. Cue is worth every cent I paid and then some!!:grin:

Last edited:

DrewWhitehead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proud owner of a J-18

Agreed... I cant count how many I've owned. I wish I never sold any of them, which is why I'm ordering another I guess. I've played with some really old ones and owned brand new ones. They all play fantastic. Put it this way, I've got a Richard Black that stays at home because the Joss plays better in my book.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny, and Stephan can make pool cues

His son Stephen has helped greatly Keeping Dad's eye's open to changes. I have a (Custom N-17, and like A-4 New from 1995 . (Shane) uses a shaft from Danny on a Schon Butt. Look at the Derby City highfinals,clips azbtv. He also played with it all over the country in 2007 etc

KweaSr

Wannabe Player
Joss cue info

I recently bought a used Joss cue, and after I received it I noticed the butt didn't have a joss logo on it. The stainless steel joint does say Joss, and the bumper says Joss.

I went to the Joss site and couldn't find a picture of it anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone had ever seen one like this.

It is Bird's-eye Maple with 5 Ebony points with Abalone diamond inlays in each point. It has a black and white linen wrap, and the butt sleeve is Ebony with Abalone split diamond inlays. The butt cap is white phenolic with joss bumper.

I have no idea how old it is, or what it is worth, although I know I got a great deal, and it hits great, both with an OB-1 shaft and with
the original Joss shaft.

Thanks!

ajuarbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older Joss cues have the logo on the joint, the newer ones have them on the butt.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older Joss cues have the logo on the joint, the newer ones have them on the butt.

Not really
68-70,s logo on butt
80,s logo on joint
90's hand logo on butt
2000- present day serial number on joint and logo on bumper

letter in serial number will tell you what year

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Been playing for over 55 years. Had much success with the old Meucci originals in the '70s and '80s. Love the Predators and Pechauers, but play now with a 1987 Joss with a phenolic joint and the pre-cat logo 314shaft with a medium Moori.

jwc0726

One Pocket Fan
Great Combo

Been playing for over 55 years. Had much success with the old Meucci originals in the '70s and '80s. Love the Predators and Pechauers, but play now with a 1987 Joss with a phenolic joint and the pre-cat logo 314shaft with a medium Moori.

That is a great combo, I love the old predator shafts. I have owned them since they first came out, and I think the older ones are a little better.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Met Dan at the Atlanta Billiard Show last weekend and ordered my first cue made specifically to my specs. It's going to be 60" two different types of Cocobolo, wrapless and rings at all places, two 12.75" shafts. Other than that and the good hit, told Dan to have fun, don't need any points etc and I am really looking forward to getting my first Joss. Will post pics when I get it.

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
I played with everything from low end Vikings in the 80s , to a couple of mid 80s Palmers , and even was a faithful fanatic of the Meucci Nation ( lol I know , I know ignorance was bliss lol ) In 2000 i bought a Joss A7 which Is still my player by the way and Man what a differance it was like reading by candle light all your life then someone turns on the lights. It Took me a bit as well to get used to but there are two Mueccis in the closet that havent been out of the case in 10 years

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Totally agree...welcome to SS joints on well-made cues! I've had two (see my signature block), and although I went Schon about 20 years ago, still have one of my Joss cues and would buy another...fantastic value and great cue. I used one of my Joss cues as a break cue for over 15 years, absolutely no problem! Just bought a new Joss shaft to give to my teenage son for his first player (even if it is a little too fancy for a first cue IMHO)...stick looks brand new and still hits like a freight train. Hang onto that cue, if you take reasonable care of it, it will last much longer than you!

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Been using the same Joss since 1988...I will never get rid of it, it is just too good of a player. I've experimented with cues all over the spectrum and still do so today but I always go back to the Joss.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan called yesterday and said my new cue is ready to be shipped :dance: OMG this is the worst bit, I know it's ready, I know it's being shipped.

What I will say already without even seeing the finished product is that the whole process from ordering at the Atlanta Billiard Show up to Dan's call yesterday afternoon has been fantastic. What a nice guy he is and customer service is outstanding and something he should be very proud of! Will post pics later on.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's Face It....Everyone Has a Favorite

Here's the thing...does Janes make the best cues....hardly how about Richard Black.....no let's not forget Tim Scruggs or Bill Stroud.....so what....what about Mottey, Bender, Phillipi, Capone, ....and so what's my point.....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's all that matters.....Superior Performance...perhaps but probably not unless it's by virtue of contrast with what you previously played with as opposed to one of these other higher end cue makers.

But the one thing that should matter the most, and in my book goes a long way to being ultimately satisified, is the level and quality of customer service because this conveys the cuemaker's commitment to doing the very best that he can. How can anyone expect more than that from anyone. And frankly, when the founder takes an active role in making sure his customers are satisfied, that's when you can say I have the best cue there is....even though we all know it isn't true. But it's still great to think and feel that way....anyway, that's my two cents.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive had two. josn-7 and i now play with a jos069. they both hit well but the best hitting cue ive played with is a cobra by schmeckle. ive come to find out schmeckle makes the blanks for most cue makers. wish i still had that cue. but cant go wrong with a joss.

Hubbahubby123

Personally...I think the Joss Cue is the BEST I've owned to date. My Skill level has soared!! I'm 10 for 10 this session in APA.

The hit is different from the wood to wood joints. Took me a while to get used to a harder hit, due to the non wood joint. But once I adjusted...WOW!!

I get so many compliments on the Cocobolo wood and great insets. I should've bought a Joss sooner. I odered it directly from Dan Janes. Great guy to deal with. Customized everything for me. Cue is worth every cent I paid and then some!!😁
I completely agree! I own 5 Joss cues and two are one of a kind. I own 62 cues and nothing even comes close!