Why the playing plateau is higher for some than others

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Susan Weinschenk said:
People are great at recognizing patterns – Recognizing patterns helps you make quick sense of all the sensory input that comes to you every second. Your eyes and your brain will want to create patterns, even if there are no real patterns there. Your brain wants to see patterns.

Individual cells respond to certain shapes – In 1959, two researchers, Hubel and Wiesel showed that there are individual cells in the visual cortex of your brain that respond only to horizontal lines, other cells that respond only to vertical lines, other cells that respond to edges, and cells that respond only to certain angles. (In 1981 Hubel and Wiesel won a Nobel price for their work on vision).

Food for thought; maybe there is a physical difference in the eyes themselves that allows some to "see" angles, edges, and lines better than others. Discounting natural ability, and motor control skills which can be learned or corrected. Perhaps this is also why some aiming systems work for Billy, Bob, and Ray, but not Andy, Mike, or James.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I believe it is all based in the brain.. Muscle memory and hand-eye coordination are the main tools required by a pool player. The angles are all simple, and learned by repetition. To build a repeatable stroke, one has to have a high degree of muscle memory.

Without this, you will always exhibit some degree of "inconsistency", simply because your brain/hand/arm cannot replicate a straight stroke.

Muscle memory is a misnomer, I believe, as I think it is actually the ability of the brain to quickly "burn-in" the same repeated motion into the brain's nueron pathways, and also the ability to send it to the proper muscles on command. On another note, muscle memory is what allows some people to pick up a guitar, be shown a few chords, and be playing songs within a month. Others can practice for a year 2 hours a day just to get to the same point. The second player doesn't have the "burn-in" capability of the first. The have to practice longer, and if they stop practicing, their hands "forget" quicker.

Sound familiar to some lesser players in pool?

Short Bus Russ

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post.

I had a hard time seeing the tangent line when I started playing as a kid. I would play for hours on end just setting up cuts hitting plain ball and placing a ball along what I thought was the tangent line and I would try hit the ball full. I couldn't do it. I was placing the ball off of the tangent line. It was fine if the rails were parallel to the tangent line, but if they weren't then I had no chance of judging it. That alone really held me back a year or two. 18 years later and I still see the tangent line to be greater than 90 degrees, but having hit so many balls I know where the CB will travel.

Its weird in a way - I had no problem seeing imaginary lines between the edges of balls, and was brought up using fractional aiming and picked it up quick for an 8 year old. I could automatically tell if a shot was a 3/4 hit or what ever from anywhere around the table.

Since transferring from snooker to pool, I've discovered all kids of weird and wonderful methods of aim. Some just aren't for me. Systems that involve fixed references to another fixed point I pick up quick. For example, CB edge to OB edge I can see easily or CTE I can see. But ghost ball gets messy if I don't stand behind the OB to pocket.

I have a friend who has never played the game and has zero interest in it but he came to watch me play a match. Whilst practicing he told me I was going to miss the shot and I did. So I got down on another and asked him where the OB would go, and he said I had too much angle and pointed to where I would hit the rail. I shot the shot and hit within about half an inch of where he pointed. I set up a few more and aimed to miss and he was dead on with his predictions. This from a guy who has never played the game and was stood 'behind' the shot facing me when I was down. Some people just have that natural ability to "see" the game in a completely different way. Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky ones.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Oh yes.. You are right.. A third critical skill is "spatial recognition", in which you have the ability to visualize three dimensional objects in space and predict their movements in real time.

This is what allows pool players to see tangent lines, and also predict the effect of spin and force on the balls. This is what allows good players to accurately judge where a CB will hit the third rail and with what speed after pocketing a ball.

Short Bus Russ

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I don't know what the "right" answer is to be honest. I think spatial recognition carries more weight than some other factors and might account for more men being at higher level than the same number of women playing. Not to say of course women cannot play, but I imagine those who can have better spatial skills.

What I picked out the article I was reading was the quote, in that maybe, certain methods of "seeing" a shot are right for some, but not all, players. Personally I find ghost ball to be the easiest, but seeing fractions is more difficult for me. I may simply be missing more of those cells that respond to edges.

JoeW or Lawrence K might have thoughts on this too. I am very left-brained according to the test Joe posted for us. Maybe that's why I use ghost ball...

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Everyone's brain works in a different way. Some people can recognize patterns, other recognize shapes and others have uncanny color ability.

The angles are all simple, and learned by repetition.
Short Bus Russ

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by this, but some people can't recognize angles (to the precision required in pool) no matter how much they repeat/practice it. It's hard for a person who can do it to understand why everyone else can't do it to.

I've taught music and trading to lots of people. After 40 years I'm still amazed at what some people can see or hear and others can't.

thekaiserman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out. Don't hold your breath, it may take a while.