"Call Shot 9ball"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Alternate titles for this thread....

How can we make nine ball more pedestrian?

Playing like Reyes is not allowed

Double digit IQs only please

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The Derby City 9-ball version is, by far, the best. Texas Express and no jump cues allowed.

Check out the champions. Of the last fourteen DCC nine ball champions, all but Kiamco are either BCA Hall of Famers or future BCA Hall of Famers.

The notion that nine ball needs fixing, given the way the cream rises to the top at the Derby City 9-ball, which has about 400 entrants, is a bit ridiculous.

Attachments

• dcc nine ball champs.jpg
    dcc nine ball champs.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, I would like to share with fellow az members an interesting idea by former Greek 9ball Champion George Flemetakis regarding 9ball rules, personally i haven't seen something like this formulated before, any relative input along with comments on the format is welcomed.
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

By George Flemetakis, Greek 9ball Champion​

- Call each shot

- Call either ball or safety

- In case of safety incoming player has to play

- No safety allowed by calling a ball

- In all other cases (eg called ball in wrong pocket, ball pocketed after safety call) incoming player has the option to play or let the opponent play again

- In case of play again, opponent has the right to push out

- No jump shots allowed

- Dry break rule from middle of table, push out allowed after break

- Preferably in alternate break format, 9 ball on the spot, race to 13 frames, competition size pockets

He does not need consensus or permission. He can just sponsor and run an event with his rules. It does not matter what anyone says. He will know soon enough what players think by how they choose to send their time and money. Ignore what everyone says.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes,
- Slop rules are much more exciting, and such excitement attracts zillions of fans.
- Luck evens out precisely in all matches, and the cream always rises to the top.
- Pros almost never slop in a ball anyway, so why worry?
- Slopped safeties outnumber slopped pots, so we shouldn't worry about the latter.
- Football involves quite a bit of luck.

[stu, jay, it's groundhog day (again)]

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all again for your input. Coming back just to add: the purpose of these rules is not to "fix" the 9ball game-match results in any way, but to offer a different perspective of it.

In any case I still believe it is worth trying, and observe the outcome. We will try to video tape a challenge match here in Athens in this format, but anyone willing to do the same anywhere and upload the material so we can see it is more than welcomed.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I suppose you play this new game of 9-ball on a higher level. Where it probably won't change the game to a degree that it's not recognizable as 9-ball any more.

It would be interesting to also see low-level players play those rules. IMHO, that is where the game really changes the most.

Have you had a look at American Rotation yet? A very similar concept played with 15 balls where most of the luck has been taken out of the equation.

In our little neighborhood league here we play regular 9-ball and I don't like it. Some guys - who constantly lose - destroy the game by always taking pot shots at the 9. Combo shots where they make about 1 in 10 but it still isn't fun. It's the only time where I would love to play for money just to make them play more reasonable shots instead of playing the lottery at any given moment. I prefer to lose to a more skilled player 5 to 10 rather than win against the pot shot artists 10 to 5.

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Only change that I would like, would be "9 ball last ball in" on a Hill-to-Hill game, or win by two. No early combos on the 9 ball, if only shot, you spot the 9 and keep shooting from where the balls end up

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Call the 9 is enough for me.
Hate to see someone luck in the 9 for the game or.........match.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, I would like to share with fellow az members an interesting idea by former Greek 9ball Champion George Flemetakis regarding 9ball rules, personally i haven't seen something like this formulated before, any relative input along with comments on the format is welcomed.
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

By George Flemetakis, Greek 9ball Champion​

- Call each shot

- Call either ball or safety

- In case of safety incoming player has to play

- No safety allowed by calling a ball

- In all other cases (eg called ball in wrong pocket, ball pocketed after safety call) incoming player has the option to play or let the opponent play again

- In case of play again, opponent has the right to push out

- No jump shots allowed

- Dry break rule from middle of table, push out allowed after break

- Preferably in alternate break format, 9 ball on the spot, race to 13 frames, competition size pockets
Of course, tournament directors for various levels of tournaments have the discretion to tweak normal 9-ball rules to eliminate some or all aspects of luck in the game, at the risk of gaining or losing regulars who support the tournaments. You'd just better have a good hunch of what your clientele wants before you make that decision - or let them vote on it. You'll never please everyone regardless of what you do!

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those rules are going to make pool more popular than ice skating. Maybe.

But seriously...why are there so many attempts to get rid of the 2 way shot, just so that a lucky leave after a miss doesn't penalize the incoming player?

That's dumb.

Only rule change I would like to see is no push after the break...and MAYBE call pocket.

Why no push after the break?