Asheville, nc Pool Halls

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to be in Asheville for a few days. looking mainly to practice. Any good pool halls with good 9' tables or 7' Diamonds?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to be in Asheville for a few days. looking mainly to practice. Any good pool halls with good 9' tables or 7' Diamonds?
Fat Cats in Arden / South Asheville is the only one. If you live in Greenville, SC, you likely already know that Asheville, for a town that has more breweries per capita than any town/city in the country, surprisingly no decent pool halls, and nothing at all in the downtown area.

You can make the 80 mile drive (1-1/2 hours) to our room - Family Billiards, outside of Boone, NC. We have a Monday night handicapped 9-ball tournament, starts at 7pm. We have 10 tables including a Diamond 7-footer and a Gabriel's 10-footer to go along with our 8 Gabriel's 9-footers - just covered in new Simonis.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less than 2 hrs away is a fine room. Boone, Nc.

Somebody on azb might know about it.

Also, there is a place in the hills of tn that is under an hour. Smokey mountain billiards, as I recall

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat Cats in Arden / South Asheville is the only one. For a town that has more breweries per capita than any town/city in the country, surprisingly no decent pool halls, and nothing at all in the downtown area.

You can make the 80 mile drive (1-1/2 hours) to our room - Family Billiards, outside of Boone, NC. We have a Monday night handicapped 9-ball tournament, starts at 7pm. We have 10 tables including a Diamond 7-footer and a Gabriel's 10-footer to go along with our 8 Gabriel's 8-footers - just covered in new Simonis.

Damn. Do I type that slowly? Musta fallen into a gap or something.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat Cats in Arden / South Asheville is the only one. If you live in Greenville, SC, you likely already know that Asheville, for a town that has more breweries per capita than any town/city in the country, surprisingly no decent pool halls, and nothing at all in the downtown area.

You can make the 80 mile drive (1-1/2 hours) to our room - Family Billiards, outside of Boone, NC. We have a Monday night handicapped 9-ball tournament, starts at 7pm. We have 10 tables including a Diamond 7-footer and a Gabriel's 10-footer to go along with our 8 Gabriel's 9-footers - just covered in new Simonis.

Yes to all this info.

I really love Asheville, and would love to live there (the mountain views are so beautiful, and the downtown is really cool, and interesting), but sadly, there is no place to shoot pool there. I found 1 place to shoot pool downtown, but I think they were like furniture grade tables, and charged by the minute (which I think it came out to around $10 per hour to play). I am not sure if that place is open anymore anyways, but it was in the downtown area.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have 2 great pool rooms in Spartanburg..., about a hour south of Asheville.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks - I live in Simpsonville :) Turns out im only in Asheville for a day and 1/2, but I appreciate all of the input!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in Asheville since Monday and went to Fat Cats the other day. I was very sad to see how bad the table conditions are. They have not been recovered in years. In the future I'll probably drive to Greenville or Spartanburg. JMO, folks check it out yourself...

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The college is probably 3 miles from downtown-Someone might try opening a room and then offering shuttle service but only one to and from a night 7 pick-up- 11 drop off-later on weekends- captive audience.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playworld was on Merrimon before it closed long ago. That was way closer to UNCA than any other pool hall and they could not make it. So being near the college does not help.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playworld was on Merrimon before it closed long ago. That was way closer to UNCA than any other pool hall and they could not make it. So being near the college does not help.

Too much cool outdoor stuff. Boulder was the same when I was there twice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although Asheville has grown remarkably in the past 20+ years, the emphasis is tourism, scenic views, the Biltmore House, the Grove Park, the music/cultural scene, and biggest of all - breweries and beer drinking. I don't really see any niche in there for a nice poolroom - certainly at least not in the overpriced downtown area. It wouldn't even surprise me if there were city ordinances in downtown that would prevent a poolroom from opening.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a bar in downtown about 8 years ago that had 4 or 6 tables. They did not make it either. Fat Cats got new owners I April. They contacted a local lender hoping for a loan to rebuild their tables and some other improvements. They were turned down and told they had to be in business at least 1 year before they'd be considered for any loan.
Personally I do not see anyway a pool hall can make it in Asheville these days.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason i thought it might be a good idea is there have been so many threads over the last year "Where can i play in Asheville?"