I confirmed it yesterday

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
It is quite possible when playing eight ball...to scratch in any of the six pockets.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree,
I’m always aware that when I let the rock roll, there is a 30 inch hole out there waiting for me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
JeaLou’s sig line

I get worse every day....but right now I’m playing like it’s next year

:grin:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Some folks have a knack for it. I have friends that its 50/50 for them to scratch on the money ball. It's crazy to watch players for thirty years.....scratch when they don't itch.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
It is quite possible when playing eight ball...to scratch in any of the six pockets.

If I'm shooting too hard, in general; it's not going to be a good day. If I'm shooting just hard enough to make the current shot, and roll into shape for the next one; I at least have a chance.

If you let that white ball roll around the table long enough, it Will find a pocket to scratch in.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be plagued by that a lot.... gotten better as I have gotten wiser and less cockey on the table.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mean in all 6 in the same night?

I have a few rules of pool, one is that the pockets are larger for the cueball, you can be playing on 4" pockets and the cueball will find a way in. Second is that if you scratch once, you tend to scratch twice. Miss hitting a ball and there is a very good chance the cueball is going into a pocket on that same shot.

This past Tuesday, playing pill pool, there were 4 scratches on the 5 ball in a row that the cueball fell into a pocket, with 2 of them actually pocketing the 5. Same night, I pull a 12 as my ball twice in a row, the same guy makes the 12 on his first turn at the table with a random shot.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I confirmed yesterday that this is as bad a thread title as is possible. Not only does it offer no information about its content but it was false on the day after it was created.

A better thread title would have been "Problem: Too Many Scratches in 8-ball"

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Especially after a runout in the 3rd game of the losers side like i did last night

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Especially after a runout in the 3rd game of the losers side like i did last night

I've pocket scratched while playing carom before.

I also have an uncanny ability to put the CB in the side pocket at the steepest of angles ..With speed. It like wiggles and bounces its' way in lol.

When I tried the APA 8 ball I had a lot of trouble with scratching at first. Those little tables can be deceptively vicious.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I've pocket scratched while playing carom before.

I also have an uncanny ability to put the CB in the side pocket at the steepest of angles ..With speed. It like wiggles and bounces its' way in lol.

When I tried the APA 8 ball I had a lot of trouble with scratching at first. Those little tables can be deceptively vicious.

Yep those tough side pockets are magnetic
Thats why they only take my cueball and all spit out my object balls

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Words can be so confusing...:confused:

When I was a kid, I dreamed of being a scratch golfer...finally made it at 17 years old.:)
Took up billiards the same year....now I tried NOT to be a scratch player.:eek:
...but when I took my first big win ($50)...I got all the scratch...:happydance:
I managed to scratch out a living over the years...which was a good thing...:thumbup2:
But now my game is not up to scratch...:banghead:

:scratchhead:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I know how to keep from scratching, I’ll play English Billiards.
Once I need to scratch I’ll never find the hole.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now I have an itch but no scratch!

Words can be so confusing...:confused:

When I was a kid, I dreamed of being a scratch golfer...finally made it at 17 years old.:)
Took up billiards the same year....now I tried NOT to be a scratch player.:eek:
...but when I took my first big win ($50)...I got all the scratch...:happydance:
I managed to scratch out a living over the years...which was a good thing...:thumbup2:
But now my game is not up to scratch...:banghead:

:scratchhead:

I have days when all the balls and pockets seem to be magnetically charged, same polarity of course so they repel each other! Naturally that doesn't apply to the cue ball that can be sucked in when it is aimed half a diamond away from the pocket. I just look the other player dead in the eye and tell them it takes many years of experience to play this bad!

Some of the old road players toted their own ball set around with them. The goal was to get your own set of balls on the table unknown to the other player. If you couldn't get at least your own cue ball on the table it might be better to leave a gambling match unplayed. That is how important they considered the balls. Some old billiards players never played because they couldn't get past whose billiard balls they would use.

My own experience, I bought a cheap set of balls. I was very surprised to discover they played much better than the balls they were giving out from behind the counter. One set, and I use that word loosely, had at least three different graphic designs on the balls. While they might have been inline with the very generous weight range allowed by WPA rules, they didn't spread like a set of matched balls did.

I now consider it a major sin if a hall doesn't keep each set of balls separate. Those that have gotten them mixed need to sort them by weight and keep them matched.

Hu

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
One of the things my main hall does is have a 2 sets per table. That way they always play the same balls on the same table, and if you start to see damage to the balls, you know the table needs work. Regulars get to use the nice set, and newbies get the cheap set. Works quite well.

I have days when all the balls and pockets seem to be magnetically charged, same polarity of course so they repel each other! Naturally that doesn't apply to the cue ball that can be sucked in when it is aimed half a diamond away from the pocket. I just look the other player dead in the eye and tell them it takes many years of experience to play this bad!

Some of the old road players toted their own ball set around with them. The goal was to get your own set of balls on the table unknown to the other player. If you couldn't get at least your own cue ball on the table it might be better to leave a gambling match unplayed. That is how important they considered the balls. Some old billiards players never played because they couldn't get past whose billiard balls they would use.

My own experience, I bought a cheap set of balls. I was very surprised to discover they played much better than the balls they were giving out from behind the counter. One set, and I use that word loosely, had at least three different graphic designs on the balls. While they might have been inline with the very generous weight range allowed by WPA rules, they didn't spread like a set of matched balls did.

I now consider it a major sin if a hall doesn't keep each set of balls separate. Those that have gotten them mixed need to sort them by weight and keep them matched.

Hu