Log Cabin Builds
Old
  (#1)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Log Cabin Builds - 02-10-2019, 05:48 PM

I've been watching Log Cabin build videos lately and this guy does a really good job. It's amazing to see what he can do with the tools he has by himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cot3y87cvvk

This video is in English some are in Russian. He very ingenious if you like this sort of thing.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#2)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-10-2019, 07:00 PM

I grew up in a log cabin in Pennsylvania.

Chestnut logs. Try to find those.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#3)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

02-10-2019, 08:16 PM

A friend of mine was making high end log cabins about 30 years ago. Got a very good reputation and then quit the business. He just got burnt out from too many hours of work and had trouble finding helpers who had what it takes to pay attention to the detail required. They built mainly by falling the timber themselves and selection the different trees for the different requirements. Really interesting stuff. Especially about the place the tree grows and the type of land it is on and it's best end use. Apart from the drying and sawing etc.

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

Old
  (#4)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2019, 08:28 PM

That is something. I remember squirrel hunting with my Grandfather. He
would stop and look at the last of the chestnut trees where they were fallen down. The
blight came and killed them. Every once in awhile you would find one alive and if you
did you didn't tell anyone where it was at. I would have liked to have seen your place. I
was taken to a place once where a two story log house stood and it was in great shape
but was in the middle of nowhere and it was unused at the time. I was young I don't
remember if it was chestnut but it almost had to have been to have lasted that long.

Sounds like you got to see some things few get to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
I grew up in a log cabin in Pennsylvania.

Chestnut logs. Try to find those.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#5)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
That is something. I remember squirrel hunting with my Grandfather. He
would stop and look at the last of the chestnut trees where they were fallen down. The
blight came and killed them. Every once in awhile you would find one alive and if you
did you didn't tell anyone where it was at. I would have liked to have seen your place. I
was taken to a place once where a two story log house stood and it was in great shape
but was in the middle of nowhere and it was unused at the time. I was young I don't
remember if it was chestnut but it almost had to have been to have lasted that long.

Sounds like you got to see some things few get to see.
It was an amazing place to grow up.

When I took "Pennsylvania and Early American History" in High School, they taught about my house. I raised my hand and said "I live there". Many kids in the class didn't even know there was a house "back in there". They thought it was just woods.

I got to tell a lot of the history, and bring in some artifacts. That was really cool.

There was another log cabin down the road that had lost their logs to dry rot. It was mentioned in class, and we knew the family. My parents had talked a lot to them about preserving the cabin.

It was an amazing place to grow up. Al though my parents divorced, their hearts were invested in restoring and preserving that place. My heart is still there. The house that built me.

I went there as an adult. The family invited me in.

This song and video always reminds me of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYNM6SjD_o

My hand prints are still in the concrete walk my grandfather laid there.

When my mother died I inherited a photo album with all the before and after pics my mom and dad took, as well as pictures of me and my little brother in every room and in the yard.

I always thought I would grow up, become a doctor, and buy that house. I got half that. I don't want the house. The memories are better than the reality.

I like to watch those programs about log houses on TV knowing I lived it. Nothing can compare.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#6)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

02-10-2019, 09:48 PM

I just visited the house on Google maps. Forgive me for not posting it. Too emotional to share yet.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#7)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com

02-11-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
I just visited the house on Google maps. Forgive me for not posting it. Too emotional to share yet.

It's ok Doc. Please don't. I wouldn't let you go down that rabbit hole alone.
My house isn't there anymore and most of my family is gone.Those places and those
times are special. I think both of us understands what Thomas Wolfe meant when he
said, "You can't go home again," painfully I'm starting to realize he's right.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: